Porsche oil change

2,678 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by austinag1997
Leander - Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New to this world as we bought one last summer. Any options to get the oil changed other than the dealership/ $500?
FTAco07
AG
Where are you located? Most large enough cities have service centers that specialize in European cars that were my preferred providers for maintenance and post-warranty work.
akaggie05
AG
Ramps. Driveway.

Profit.
MyMamaSaid
AG
In Houston, these guys are the best. The reviews are accurate.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DX4zovw93QUEcuCn7?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy
Chef Elko
AG
$500 for an oil change?! Eff em'
txyaloo
AG
Leander - Ag said:

New to this world as we bought one last summer. Any options to get the oil changed other than the dealership/ $500?
If you're in Austin, both Porsche dealers are insanely priced. Someone has to pay for that fancy dealership. That $500 also includes a Porsche loaner car while they're doing the change, but even with that, they don't offer any discounts except maybe PCNA.

I do most of my own maintenance, but TPWS is good in town:

https://www.tpwsinc.com/

I had Brink Motorsports do an alignment on my turbo S a few months ago with no problems. In and out quickly. Seemed to mostly have VAG cars in their lot

https://brinkmotorsports.com/

If you're still under warranty, as much as it sucks, I'd go to the dealer for service. You want to build a relationship in case you need a goodwill repair in the future.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I did my own change on my 911 for 14 years. Ain't hurt nothing. 0W-40 and oem filters. Took all of 9.5 quartz. Every time.
Leander - Ag
AG
txyaloo said:

Leander - Ag said:

If you're in Austin, both Porsche dealers are insanely priced. Someone has to pay for that fancy dealership. That $500 also includes a Porsche loaner car while they're doing the change, but even with that, they don't offer any discounts except maybe PCNA.

I do most of my own maintenance, but TPWS is good in town:

https://www.tpwsinc.com/

I had Brink Motorsports do an alignment on my turbo S a few months ago with no problems. In and out quickly. Seemed to mostly have VAG cars in their lot

https://brinkmotorsports.com/

If you're still under warranty, as much as it sucks, I'd go to the dealer for service. You want to build a relationship in case you need a goodwill repair in the future.

Thanks
Redstone
AG
Not familiar with Porsche maintenance
Fat Tony
AG
Leander - Ag said:

https://www.swissgarage.com
Jack Boyett
AG
Is there a lot of disassembly associated with getting to the plug or filter? What is it about the car that puts the cost that high?
aggiedata
AG
Jack Boyett said:

Is there a lot of disassembly associated with getting to the plug or filter? What is it about the car that puts the cost that high?

The owner
Flaith
AG
Yes, but Porsche is pretty incredibly easy to work on. I had my buddy's 997 cabrio up on ramps, removed the rear bumper and spoiler and had total access to the engine bay. We were fixing a known defect in the auto-spoiler: a plastic piece that breaks and requires you to buy a $2000 spoiler mechanism. Fixed it with Home Depot metal brackets and rivets
txyaloo
AG
Jack Boyett said:

Porsche Austin's labor rate is $350-400/hr. 1hr labor plus cost of oil, filter, and the "free" loaner while you wait and that's how you get to a $500 oil change.

IIRC, TPWS is $125-150/hr labor.
Lynch
If you are in Austin go to GT international. They do all of the service on my 992 CS. These guys are great and reasonable. They're off of Braker and 35.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Redstone said:

There's nothing special about Porsche. It's just another car.

txyaloo
AG
Lynch said:

If you are in Austin go to GT international. They do all of the service on my 992 CS. These guys are great and reasonable. They're off of Braker and 35.
are you in their membership program? Have you had any work done other than the included oil change?

If I was in town. I'd consider them, but the value of the program seemed limited. $700 for basically a yearly oil change and wiper blades seemed insane, and the other benefits weren't really benefits. $1400 for a brake flush (included in year 2).

Do they still do the yearly plug replacement even if you aren't putting miles on the car?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Porsche what?
JamesPShelley
AggieDruggist89 said:

Redstone said:

There's nothing special about Porsche. It's just another car.

This is true. However, not all cars handle like street-legal go-carts. That's why I like mine.

Oil changes cost me ~$90 all in. 9.5 qts synthetic, and a NAPA Gold filter. Take me all of 30 minutes.

My 98 has no fancy-schmancy tech features... so just the basic car stuff. If you have small hands... it's a dream to work on. Larger hands, like my genormously extraordinarily large hands inspire lots of patience. I earn no less than $150 an hour when I tool on my ride.

Southside AG
AG
For you and those who change their own oil, how do you dispose of the old oil and filter? What is your change frequency?
JamesPShelley
Southside AG said:

For you and those who change their own oil, how do you dispose of the old oil and filter? What is your change frequency?
I do it old school. Dig a hole in the corner of the yard... pour in the oil... cover with dirt.

Kidding. That's too 70's for me.

I pour the old oil into the 5qt containers that are empty of the new oil... and run them up to Autozone or Oreilly. Filter, after it's drained out... goes with the spent oil.

I change my oil every 3K to 5K miles. Porsche RPMs tend to run high, and I'm old school: oil is cheaper than an engine. The ~newer cars calling for oil changes at 10K+ miles? Hogwash. Oil is too cheap. The task is fairly quick.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Southside AG said:

5K intervals.

Walmart and all your local FLAPS take used oil. Also your local county may take waste oil.
Lynch
I'm not, one of the principals is my sons friends uncle.

They've done basic maintenance after my "free" service at Porsche Austin.

They did install a lot of DO88 parts and Akrapovic exhaust on it. They did a great job.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Southside AG said:

I pour it on my burn pile and help burn better. Is that frowned upon?
Matsui
AG
We used to pour oil on blackberry bushes in our backyard. Made some juicy berries. No joke.
tree91
AG
Southside AG said:

I pour it into a 5 gal Jerry can and dump it at Walmart or Tractor Supply. I change oil at the manufacturer's recommended intervals.
austinag1997
AG
Lynch said:

I know Webster and Clayton well. All of my Porsches have been maintained at GT International. Top notch service and more cost effective than dealer service.

Oil service on my Cayenne was $369.53. That includes the seals, gaskets, and 9 quarts of Redine 5W40 Synthetic. $152 of oil alone. And then ordering the oil kit from Pelican Parts. My guess is I'm close to $175 in parts/oil before I start changing it myself. Oil change every 10,000 miles so its not that bad.
austinag1997
AG
txyaloo said:

Lynch said:

are you in their membership program? Have you had any work done other than the included oil change?

If I was in town. I'd consider them, but the value of the program seemed limited. $700 for basically a yearly oil change and wiper blades seemed insane, and the other benefits weren't really benefits. $1400 for a brake flush (included in year 2).

Do they still do the yearly plug replacement even if you aren't putting miles on the car?

I pesonnaly am not in a membership program. I pay as I go. I have looked at it and always seems blurred to me. They are great folks and are fair. Go in and ask them about it. Ask to talk to Webster. If you aren't driving it regularly, then no need to join a membership. Two of mine are in that category and are in a reduced maintenance regime. Feel free to reach out to me if you want to discuss.
EskimoJoe
Southside AG said:

We use a waste oil heater to heat the shop at work
I take mine to work and dump it in the storage tank.
austinag1997
AG
tree91 said:

Southside AG said:

I pour it into a 5 gal Jerry can and dump it at Walmart or Tractor Supply. I change oil at the manufacturer's recommended intervals.

Or Autozone.
austinag1997
AG
JamesPShelley said:

Southside AG said:

I do it old school. Dig a hole in the corner of the yard... pour in the oil... cover with dirt.

Kidding. That's too 70's for me.

I pour the old oil into the 5qt containers that are empty of the new oil... and run them up to Autozone or Oreilly. Filter, after it's drained out... goes with the spent oil.

I change my oil every 3K to 5K miles. Porsche RPMs tend to run high, and I'm old school: oil is cheaper than an engine. The ~newer cars calling for oil changes at 10K+ miles? Hogwash. Oil is too cheap. The task is fairly quick.

My mechanic has split engines after oil changes at 10k mile intervals. Says they look brand new inside. That's a Cayenne at 10k mile intervals. My other 2 Porsches (986 Boxster and 996TT) aren't driven enough to need oil changes more than once per year. The latter 2 routinely run at 5000-6000 rpm once warm. The Cayenne rarely sees more than 3000 rpm.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.