Generac Generator - oil leak suggestions

1,446 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by 2girlsdad
2girlsdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've had a technician come out and found the pressure was too high on my 26kw air cooled generator causing an oil leak on the line that feeds into the unit (where the oil sensor is). It's less than a year old and getting warrantied, but that was a couple days ago and chances are we'll lose power with Beryl.

I put a tighter clamp, but still leaking. Outside of having reserve oil and running it an hour at a time, any other suggestions?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Post a pic of the fitting you are looking at.
BurnetAggie99
Maybe something like Rectorseal EP-200 epoxy putty would work to hold you over till it's replaced
2girlsdad
Lost power, generator lasted 25 minutes. I'm so pissed that I spent $12k on the install and sitting in the dark now. I don't think there's anything I could have done to address the leak short of putting a pan with a pump to just recirc the oil back…
redaszag99
My generac had an oil pressure sensor failure. It was out of warranty and I got one on Amazon
RightWingConspirator
AG
Mine is leaking as well. Was just installed in September. Called the service tech but they e not come out yet.
2girlsdad
Had a tech from GenTex come out yesterday who replaced the oil line and added 2 clamps on each end. While it's now run since then (power is forecasted to return Monday), I'm still concerned with the root problem of the high oil pressure. The tech didn't exactly dismiss that concern, but was like it's not leaking now.

Once everything is back to normal, I'm going to have someone come back out to check the oil pressure again. If it's still high, then I'll get from Generac what the normal operating pressure range is and have it documented that mine is above that. Then I have a leg to stand on if something happens down the line.

I'm still getting (already ordered) a portable generator and will have a manual transfer switch installed and have a redundant power supply to my redundant power supply. :-)
BrazosDog02
AG
How do you know the pressure is too high? What is it? Did the tech measure it?
2girlsdad
Yes, the original tech put a gauge on it and read 70 psig, believe the high range is 40-45 psig.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.