Realistic price?

1,889 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Aggie Dad 26
cochrum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 2014 F150 ecoboost.

Instead of buying a new truck how much you think it would cost to place a new engine and transmission?

With the way the truck prices are going and I honestly do not need all the new technology and fancy items, I'm wondering if it would be more reasonable to just replace the powertrain.

Anybody here done this before?
aggieforester05
AG
Is it broken?
Coyote swap (not a gen 1 truck 5.0L) plus Whipple to keep the boost part of the equation should be a consideration. I'm no fan of traditional torque converter autos, but the 6R80 behind your ecoboost is a robust transmission.
cochrum
AG
Thank you for the reply!

Its not broken but going on over 200K miles and just waying my options.
aggieforester05
AG
If you're fine with continuing to drive that truck, I see no reason to swap out the power train components until necessary. It would be a waste of money, very expensive, unknown quality parts/labor, and likely add little to nothing to the value.
TSJ
AG
We replaced the ecoboost on a 2018 company truck two years ago for $13k. That was a factory long block and new factory turbos. HTH. Bound to be a little more these days.
cochrum
AG
Oh for sure, I agree....I did not explain myself very well.

I'm just planning for the possible future if and when my stuff goes out. My engine is making some noise and my transmission has been acting wierd but they still drive well overall.

When things start to fall apart Im wondering if would just be better to replace everything then bits and pieces over time. Just curious what the actual cost would be and if the engines are trustworthy.

I saw some ecoboost engines for sell for 6500 and a new transmission is probably around that as well (Ive had bad experience with rebuilt transmissions). So for possibly 15K I could have a truck that would last me another 200+K miles....That was my line of thinking.
cochrum
AG
13K....definitely more than I was expecting. Thank you for your input
GAC06
AG
Seems like you'd be better off shopping for a used truck after your current truck dies if you don't want a new one
Jack Boyett
AG
If you're going to go Cuban and just maintain and restore, it would probably be better to start with something a little older than 2014.
Furlock Bones
AG
Sell it. By a V8 Tundra.
Leeman
Install a used LS. Win.
mefoghorn
AG
Here's mine for consideration: https://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/d/sulphur-springs-f150-xl-crew-cab-4x4/7763011787.html
Aggie Dad 26
Leeman said:

Install a used LS. Win.

My vote is a LS swap. So many options here and it's cheaper.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.