Escalade vs Denali?

4,633 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by planoaggie123
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So we are getting close on pulling the trigger on a new (new to us) car for the wife.

Leaning towards a 1 year or 2 years old CPO Escalade or maybe brand new Denali.

Wife likes the Escalade better but just curious if any owners of either SUV (2021 to current model). Any overarching issues with either? I haven't seen much but maybe haven't researched enough. Trying to avoid 2021/2022 models because of covid manufacturing years.

Am I reasonable too in thinking an Escalade will have high but lower cost of repairs vs say a MB GLS? Are repairs on a Denali and Escalade similar excluding maybe all the electronic stuff?

Any thoughts or comments etc would be appreciated.
agnerd
AG
planoaggie123 said:

So we are getting close on pulling the trigger on a new (new to us) car for the wife.

Leaning towards a 1 year or 2 years old CPO Escalade or maybe brand new Denali.

Wife likes the Escalade better but just curious if any owners of either SUV (2021 to current model). Any overarching issues with either? I haven't seen much but maybe haven't researched enough. Trying to avoid 2021/2022 models because of covid manufacturing years.

Am I reasonable too in thinking an Escalade will have high but lower cost of repairs vs say a MB GLS? Are repairs on a Denali and Escalade similar excluding maybe all the electronic stuff?

Any thoughts or comments etc would be appreciated.
Escalade is much cheaper to repair than mercedes since most of the parts are chevy.
Denali and Excalade are almost the exact same car so reliability and repairs will be similar as long as you take both to the chevy dealership. Electronics are almost identical, but one might have fancier knobs and buttons. Now if you take either to the Caddy dealership, they will probably charge you more for the same service.

Cadillac insurance used to be a lot higher because those rear taillights were $4k each to replace. They've come down a lot, so there shouldn't be as big of a difference anymore.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Escalade = television preacher, rap music artist or producer, the weird renaissance faire guy.

Denali = the rest of the folks in this market.
planoaggie123
AG
Lol appreciate your thought provoking and seemingly fact based response but doesn't quite square up to what I know from where we are. Even if it did and my wife liked it we would get what she likes. Just making sure it's a relatively decent decision and not an absolute money put in 4 years like BMW and MB.
Yesterday
AG
The biggest difference betweeen those two will be the $10k Cadillac badge you get.

My wife drives a 22 Denali mainly because she's basic white chick that loved the front grill of the Denali's. I will admit that it is quite nice driving it on our road trips. We haven't had any issues at 39k miles. Knock on wood.
Redstone
AG
I had a 2001 Tahoe, but we are a Toyota family and I'm not familiar with these two.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Like Redstone, I did or did not eat a hamburger yesterday.

YMMV though so don't make a decision solely on my experience.
Yesterday
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

Like Redstone, I did or did not eat a hamburger yesterday.

YMMV though so don't make a decision solely on my experience.
FincAg13
AG
Is it true that the Escalade has thicker windows and more sound proofing for a quieter ride? I heard this but really cannot find anything online to confirm.
Corps_Ag12
AG
FincAg13 said:

Is it true that the Escalade has thicker windows and more sound proofing for a quieter ride? I heard this but really cannot find anything online to confirm.

I would believe additional soundproofing but thicker windows?

Definitely not.

That would mean you'd have to re design the doors & tracks to fit a thicker glass. I know they're a bit more than a Denali, but they're not re design the doors more expensive.
malenurse
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Escalade = television preacher, rap music artist or producer, the weird renaissance faire guy, physcian wife

Denali = the rest of the folks in this market.
FIFY
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
ILikeTacos
AG
I bought a 24 Denali Ultimate XL two months ago. I was comparing it to the escalade. I found absolutely no reason to spend the extra $10k for the Escalade. It has everything the escalade has and frankly looks better.

ILikeTacos
AG
Added a 2" lift to keep the airbags a little more inflated and 34" ridge grapplers. It's unbelievably comfortable and quiet. It's now my DD, I want to drive it everywhere.
planoaggie123
AG
Looks awesome!
akaggie05
AG
FincAg13 said:

Only thing I can add here is that when we were buying our Yukon XL (previous body style) I discovered that the GMC had laminated front driver and passenger windows and the Chevys had regular tempered glass. Not different thickness though.
planoaggie123
AG
I think I found one I like but it's in South Carolina. There are only 7 in the nation in my parameters.

It is a certified pre-owned.

What risks and issues with buying sight unseen. It seems a bit crazy but it's a Hendricks Lexus dealer with good ratings.

Am I crazy?
Redstone
AG
Have never done anything like that. When I bought my GM in Dec. 2000, went in-person to dealer, about 4 miles SW of the house.
ChoppinDs40
AG
AFM lifter failures on both unless you get the baby Duramax.

That being said… get the Denali with the baby Duramax.
ChoppinDs40
AG
ILikeTacos said:

Added a 2" lift to keep the airbags a little more inflated and 34" ridge grapplers. It's unbelievably comfortable and quiet. It's now my DD, I want to drive it everywhere.

they make a 2" suspension lift that's compatible with the airbag lift?

Or is this a 2" body mount lift?

Maybe it's the same one the AT4s have?
Yesterday
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I think I found one I like but it's in South Carolina. There are only 7 in the nation in my parameters.

It is a certified pre-owned.

What risks and issues with buying sight unseen. It seems a bit crazy but it's a Hendricks Lexus dealer with good ratings.

Am I crazy?

Biggest risk is it not being there when you show up. Do you plan on buying and driving it home or shipping it?

I bought a corvette in Memphis. Flew in and drove it home. Bought our Denali from Tulsa. Drove my trade in up there and brought the Denali home. Neither had an issue.

Is it a GM warranty or an aftermarket? I'm assuming aftermarket considering it's at a Lexus dealer. I'd make sure the warranty covers what you want/need. If it's a good one I wouldn't worry much.
ChoppinDs40
AG
My dad drove his Denali to DFW from… Scranton PA, lol.

Broke that diesel engine in well.
planoaggie123
AG
I am getting confirmation of warranty. They said CPO. This dealer has a Cadillac dealership in the area so hoping for that.

I would have it shipped vs flying and driving back.

Asking about insurance while on truck and if protected / covered while shipped to avoid rocks etc.

Still not sure I will do this but trying to get info and make a smart decision.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Just a 1 day drive from SC.
planoaggie123
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Just a 1 day drive from SC.

I know but I honestly prefer to not drive it back. Work is insane right now. Trying to negotiate price but if it doesn't make sense then it doesn't make sense.
planoaggie123
AG
So the car is Cadillac CPO and will be honored at any Cadillac dealer.

Cost to ship covers trip insurance.

Getting close to making a deal. One other dealer in texas I am going to try and get to compete; however, that one has rear entertainment (screens) and wife does not like those at all.
Yesterday
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Getting close to making a deal. One other dealer in texas I am going to try and get to compete; however, that one has rear entertainment (screens) and wife does not like those at all.

Agreed with your wife. So glad we didn't get those. Kids enjoy their own iPad anyway in long trips. Just another thing that can break.

I wouldn't be worried about sight unseen with that warranty.
planoaggie123
AG
Yesterday said:

planoaggie123 said:

Agreed with your wife. So glad we didn't get those. Kids enjoy their own iPad anyway in long trips. Just another thing that can break.

I wouldn't be worried about sight unseen with that warranty.

Thank you. Makes me feel like I am not crazy. Seems reasonable but it's also a decent size purchase so trying to make sure I don't get any warnings.

I think I I could deal with screens but you (and wife) are right. She mentioned she just wants to talk to kids when they are in car on way home from school and soccer and dance and screens would be a distraction. I understand and agree.

Hopefully can make the numbers work for me and and that dealership.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Just turn the screens off.
planoaggie123
AG
Then just have ugly black screens never to be used.
ChoppinDs40
AG
If it's the one you want. *shrug*
DrEvazanPhD
How much better is Cadillac service vs GM?

For near 100k, for either vehicle, i'd expect to be treated like royalty. I doubt GM will.
Corps_Ag12
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

For near 100k, for either vehicle, i'd expect to be treated like royalty. I doubt GM will.

This is a good point to make. I've got my 3500 Silverado LTZ in the shop for 3 weeks to be diagnosed from a transmission issue under warranty. No courtesy car or anything. I doubt GMC would be any different.

Cadillac on the other hand may include a courtesy vehicle under a CPO warranty. Worth looking into IMO
AggieMarkSA
Corps_Ag12 said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

This is a good point to make. I've got my 3500 Silverado LTZ in the shop for 3 weeks to be diagnosed from a transmission issue under warranty. No courtesy car or anything. I doubt GMC would be any different.

Cadillac on the other hand may include a courtesy vehicle under a CPO warranty. Worth looking into IMO
I'd be interested to know this too. I'm in a similar dilemma to the OP, especially after my F250 has been pretty finnicky lately. Service at the Ford dealer is amongst the worst i've ever had
ChoppinDs40
AG
I think these issues are dealer by dealer

Sewell will hook you up. They all don't have courtesy vehicles.

My ford dealer is pretty good. Knock on wood.

Wagoneer client service for my wife's car actually comes to pick up her car, services it, tops it with gas, washes it, and then drops it off when done.
AggieMarkSA
ChoppinDs40 said:

I think these issues are dealer by dealer

Sewell will hook you up. They all don't have courtesy vehicles.

My ford dealer is pretty good. Knock on wood.

Wagoneer client service for my wife's car actually comes to pick up her car, services it, tops it with gas, washes it, and then drops it off when done.
I've heard that Sewell is top-notch on service, but never dealt with them. Do they deal on car price at all?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.