PPF? Ceramic Coating?

1,485 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by aggiec05
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My neighbor works at a dealership and says I should get PPF for the front half of my truck. But he said his cost is $720 so I'd pay $800. Is it worth it?

Would love to prevent the GMC grill from chipping and peeling like my last one did.
whitespikes06
AG
Ceramic won't prevent rock chips. It does have a harder and longer lasting coating than wax but, it's not going to prevent rock damage.

PPF is going to help with rock chips etc. However, I wouldn't do at a dealer. Find an independent detailer/installer. As with anything though, you'll need to maintain it and potentially replace it over time.

NWE
AG
Does it look bad when it wears down? Or if I decided to do it once, I could let it degrade without it being noticeable
agchino
AG
Does anybody have recommendations for a good detailer to do PPF in DFW? Preferably mid cities for me.

Same for Ceramic Tint.
whitespikes06
AG
It will wear over time. Yellowing/cracking can happen if not cared for. Either way, it does have a life and depends on a lot of elements - storage, heat, washes/type, moisturizing, etc.

That's my experience at least. Others may have more.
NWE
AG
Do you recommend? Thanks for info
whitespikes06
AG
How long do you plan on keeping the truck? It's been a while since I priced PPF but, for a truck front half, you may be looking at $1500-$2500 (maybe more depending on the installer and film quality). Really depends on what you want to spend your money on.

Before kids, I would have done it in a heartbeat. But it doesn't matter how I protect the outside, they'll still dirty the inside. I also never go through automatic washes and do my own detailing. But, it's become more of a pickup to me so I personally wouldn't do it.
NWE
AG
Good perspective. I've had this truck a week... so I'm babying it quite a bit and enjoying the new car smell. Soon enough I'll be driving it like normal. I plan to keep it a long time. And I go through car wash about once a week.
Sazerac
AG
Previous owners put the film on the front of my 12 GX. It looks awful now. Never bra your car.

I had Fabian do the door edges and the cups of the door handles on a 21 sequoia when we purchased. Just because I knew my wife would get use out of protection.
Bob Kelso
AG
Do Xpel. Try to find a mobile guy/one man show.
Buck Turgidson
I did the front half of my Titan with ppf (as well as under door handles and behind the rear wheels), then ceramic coated the whole thing (including windshield). It was expensive, but I want to keep this truck in like-new condition as much as possible.

I expect the ppf to look good for up to 8 years, then might replace if I still own the truck.
JBLHAG03
AG
I had PPF done by Tint World. It was the best pricing I could find. No issues and several locations around.
sts7049
AG
i hope those car washes you use are touchless
NWE
AG
This was the factor for me. I like my car washes. I'll stay on top of washings like I usually do and forgo the PPF for now. It's a truck, after all
Buck Turgidson
We have ppf on all four of our vehicles. The oldest (a Sequoia with dealer installed ppf) dates back to 2015 and isn't yellow or cracked (a few tiny areas have pulled up around the edges). I'm not sure how many car washes its gone through in 9 years, but that's 9 years with no rock chips.

Ceramic coating won't last long if you regularly run your vehicle through automatic car washes with the big rotating brushes. I have two vehicles that are always garaged and only get a couple thousand miles a year on them. Those are ceramic coated and mostly hand washed. However, the two Sequoias we own are work horses for hauling kids every day, get way more miles and go through car washes often. Those two are not ceramic coated.
aggiec05
AG
Scott is the go to guy in D/FW. He did an amazing job of ppf and ceramic and tint on my wife's GX460.
https://www.dfwtintpros.com/
Her ride is about to go in for 1 year reapplication of ceramic and free fix on some of the Vinyl we had him add to the chrome coming loose from car washes my wife took it through.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.