Cracked Wheel - what would you do?

1,751 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Josepi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy! My wife has a Volvo XC90. We recently had a tire that was losing pressure so we took it in expecting a nail or screw. Turns out, there was a small crack on the inside of the wheel that was allowing the tire to loose pressure. I'm guessing she hit a curb or pothole pretty hard. Anyways, we ordered a new wheel (which wasn't cheap) put the tire on, and all is food to go.

My question is what to do with the old wheel. What would you do?

1) Have the crack welded and save the wheel as a backup to use in case another wheel ever cracks
2) Sell the wheel as is. New wheels go for around 1k. I'm guessing I could get $100 for this cracked one. Not a ton, but hey, it's something.
3) something else I haven't thought of yet.

Here is a pic. Thanks!
aggiedata
AG
Hang the wheel on the wall near the kitchen.

Point to the wheel after your wife calls you out when you make a mistake.
maroon barchetta
maroon barchetta
aggiedata said:

Hang the wheel on the wall near the kitchen.

Point to the wheel after your wife calls you out when you make a mistake.

That's gold.
CanyonAg77
AG
Scrap. In a lawsuit happy world, I'm not letting anyone else use it
dubi
AG
Buy a new wheel!
Josepi
AG
Quote:

Anyways, we ordered a new wheel (which wasn't cheap) put the tire on, and all is food to go.

From the original post. Haha…except it should say good to go.
aggiepaintrain
AG
find a replacement rim on ebay
trash the old one
Naveronski
AG
Agree with aggiedata - aside from an argument prop, it's trash. I wouldn't worry about trying to repair it.

I looked at getting rock rash repaired on several of my old wheels and it was almost the cost of the wheel with no guarantee of the result. Just not worth it.
dubi
AG
Naveronski said:

Agree with aggiedata - aside from an argument prop, it's trash. I wouldn't worry about trying to repair it.

I looked at getting rock rash repaired on several of my old wheels and it was almost the cost of the wheel with no guarantee of the result. Just not worth it.

We stupidly tried to repair a wheel and ultimately bought a new one 2 weeks later.
CanyonAg77
AG
You guys do realize that the OP has already bought a new wheel, right?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
2 dollar bills.
FIDO*98*
AG
I was hit recently right on the passenger side wheel. The person who hit me insurance company tried to get the wheel sent off for reconditioning and ultimately had to replace it. It was damaged less than that one in the picture. Take it to a scrapyard. I doubt anybody would pay $100 for it and think of the person you would have to deal with that would
dubi
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

You guys do realize that the OP has already bought a new wheel, right?

We do.

Kicking a dead horse now.
Old Tom Morris
My philosophy is that tires, wheels, and brakes are 3 key components that keep you from dying, so I wouldnt mess with trying to rehab it. Scrap it.
olib
AG
85 cents a pound.
Flaith
AG
8.5 cents per pound

put it on the curb if you aren't in to the metal scrap game, and someone in an overloaded 2nd gen dodge will come take it
magnumtmp
AG
Flaith said:

8.5 cents per pound

put it on the curb if you aren't in to the metal scrap game, and someone in an overloaded 2nd gen dodge will come take it

If you put a sign that's says "free", it'll sit on the curb for a month. If you put a sign for "$10", someone will steal it that night.
combat wombat™
AG
Naveronski said:

I got a road rashed wheel fixed and it was inexpensive and looks new. Maybe worth pricing and speaking to a "professional". That said, it was not CRACKED.
Dr. Nefario
JB Weld that bad boy and call it good.
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Veganism is like communism. They’re both fine… unless you like food.”
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Wheel repair place is 125-150 to fix.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.