The mighty Tacoma has fallen

12,504 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by GAC06
Earth Rider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Almost 2.5 times more frontiers sold in 2024 than tacomas. Nobody wants to pay over 50k for that junk 4 cylinder turbo made in Mexico with that small back seat. Their sales have dropped over 50 percent.

I googled the below for truck sales to date in 2024.

Q1 2024 midsize truck sales:
  • Nissan Frontier 19,744 (+ 16.6%)
  • Chevrolet Colorado 14,922 (+ 12.6)
  • Jeep Gladiator - 12,989 (- 4.0%)
  • Toyota Tacoma 8,310 (- 55.5%)
  • GMC Canyon 5,484 (+ 9.3%)
  • Honda Ridgeline 3,967 (- 22.3%)
  • Ford Ranger 1,918 (- 83.3%)
May 14, 2024

ccolley68
AG
I don't keep up with it much, but what I'm under the impression is that Tacomas have gotten so damn expensive, for the price of a Tacoma, you may as well just make the next step for a few grand more and get a full size.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
The full-size numbers definitely reflect this, but don't paint a great picture for Toyota. 2024 Q1 also:
GM - 195,099
Ford - 152,953
Ram - 89,417
Tundra - 36,215
Titan - 4,145

Frontier really seems to be the best value proposition for a mid-size across the field.
kyledr04
AG
CAFE rules have ruined all trucks especially small to midsize. Toyota held out the longest.
kyledr04
AG
ccolley68 said:

I don't keep up with it much, but what I'm under the impression is that Tacomas have gotten so damn expensive, for the price of a Tacoma, you may as well just make the next step for a few grand more and get a full size.

Definitely true for the GM models. No reason to buy a Colorado or Canyon when there's lots of full size models for the same price.
HumbleAg04
AG
Hybrid. Truck buyers don't want ****ty engine choices and hybrids forced on them.
El_duderino
At this point, there's no more next step for a few more grand. Tacomas being the same price as 3/4 ton trucks is pure bull*****
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Plenty of xlt, sr5, sl full size for the same price as a Tacoma.

YouBet
AG
The entire car market is devolving at this point due to fake science and politics. Really maddening.
Picard
AG
This means the 2025 4Runner will be ruined as well

kyledr04
AG
El_duderino said:

At this point, there's no more next step for a few more grand. Tacomas being the same price as 3/4 ton trucks is pure bull*****

Yep, that's why I'm buying a 3/4 ton next
Buck Turgidson
kyledr04 said:

CAFE rules have ruined all trucks especially small to midsize. Toyota held out the longest.
Obviously, Nissan held out the longest if you're talking about mid sized trucks. The Frontiers are now the superior value proposition if price and reliability are your top priorities.
kubiak03
AG
I'm surprised the ranger is sucking it up at the bottom. Any reason why?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
kubiak03 said:

I think it's just the same thing as described above. A Lariat Ranger is $50k. A similar Lariat F-150 is $63k.
bigtruckguy3500
BenTheGoodAg said:

kubiak03 said:

I think it's just the same thing as described above. A Lariat Ranger is $50k. A similar Lariat F-150 is $63k.
They've also released that mini truck, the Maverick. So I suspect some people that would've bought Rangers might be going for that. I don't know much about it.

But this is surprising to see. I'm curious what's going to happen in about 5-10 years with the continued push towards electric, and what the next generation or 2 of electric pickups will be like. There's certainly lots of potential for improvement, but will that improvement also drive up cost too much?

On another note, I was recently in central Texas (Killeen/Austin) and saw my first Cybertrucks in the wild, and saw quite a few of them.
HDeathstar
Economy will drive sales to lower price point vehicles. Should be interesting. Most likely driving all car prices down. However, govt. regulations will try to keep them from coming down.
fixer
Just checked my local dealer sites.. the top trim level Frontier is just a tad more expensive than the lowest trim level, 2 wheel drive, Tacoma.

Un facking real.

MattAg98
AG
Ford apparently is incapable of manufacturing the Ranger. The 2.3 4 cylinders are at the dealer but not in large quantities. The 2.7 v6 is non existent, and the Raptor is nearly impossible to find and the ones in stock are marked up 10K.
I've heard those who placed orders back in March/April are still waiting and are having their delivery dates pushed back to August or later...
Burdizzo
AG
kubiak03 said:

Because they haven't figured out how to make one in plaid and Birkenstock.
sts7049
AG
this is just further evidence against people who claim they want small trucks. in reality we dont buy them. rangers or tacomas would certainly serve most people's needs but we also have an ego/status factor as a society
Earth Rider
AG
sts7049 said:

this is just further evidence against people who claim they want small trucks. in reality we dont buy them. rangers or tacomas would certainly serve most people's needs but we also have an ego/status factor as a society
If I was single, I might agree with you. But being married, small trucks are the way to go. Much easier to park, do U-turns, change lanes, etc.. If I spent most of my time on a ranch, then Full-Size. But hard to justify it for city driving.

Earth Rider
AG
Also surprised to see the Ridgeline doing so poorly. It used to always rank as the #1 midsize truck to buy according to the "Experts". I'm glad people are not following those "expert" picks. The Frontiers and Titans are typically ranked last according to "Experts".

I'm surprised, and glad to see people are not buying into their BS propaganda.
Chef Elko
AG
When cars are able to be financed like a home, you get prices like this.
SteveA
AG
The Ridgeline has always sold poorly because guys using it to run to Target don't think it's manly enough. Also, the tacoma sales are suffering too, from the fact that they are just getting the new model to market. If things don't turn in the second quarter, they may be in for a rude awakening.
Chef Elko
AG
I hated the Ridgeline look but it grew on me and I think it looks slick. I bet Tacoma sales bounce back, most buyers are savvy enough to avoid buying a first year model change.
Silvy
AG
The biggest turn off of midsize trucks is that they are only marginally less expensive and at best, offer marginally better fuel economy. In reality, they seem to get about same fuel economy as a full size.

Only reason I'd opt for midsize over full size would be space restraints. If there was a midsize offering with a V8, I'd be more inclined to look at midsize.
Drip99
AG
Being married with kids pretty much eliminates a mid size truck. Try putting teenagers in the back of a Tacoma for a road trip. Compared to a tundra, it's night and day difference.
sts7049
AG
Silvy said:

The biggest turn off of midsize trucks is that they are only marginally less expensive and at best, offer marginally better fuel economy. In reality, they seem to get about same fuel economy as a full size.

Only reason I'd opt for midsize over full size would be space restraints. If there was a midsize offering with a V8, I'd be more inclined to look at midsize.
true, but if we were being honest with ourselves there is still no real good reason to buy the bigger one considering those factors. we should be buying the midsize.

however, we americans love the bigger truck and will buy that when most factors are equal.
Aggie71013
AG
I own a Tacoma and have driven several Frontiers as rentals in the last year.

1. The Frontier feels stiff and larger than it is when driving
2. Nissan interiors are junk; although Toyota has been racing to the bottom too.
3. Tacoma's are too expensive. I'll seriously consider the Maverick when I'm next in the market.
BBRex
AG
Chef Elko said:

I hated the Ridgeline look but it grew on me and I think it looks slick. I bet Tacoma sales bounce back, most buyers are savvy enough to avoid buying a first year model change.
I hadn't thought about a Ridgeline in a while. The current model looks pretty good, to be honest. Much better than the original.
YouBet
AG
The midsize trucks for GM and Chevy actually look better than the full size trucks at this point, IMO. It's always been the inverse until now for me. My brother just got the GM Canyon AT4 and that's a sharp looking truck. He didn't want a full size because he didn't need that much truck and it's easier to drive. Fits him better.

If I was getting a truck, it would definitely be one of these mid-size or small trucks. I don't need to tow anything and would use it for hauling stuff to the dump and maybe our paddleboards although SUV would likely work better for latter.

The starting points for Canyon and the Sierra are only $1k different but I assume the gap between the top level trims on both has a bigger gap?
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
sts7049 said:

What? Or there is utility benefits to a full size truck. Sure for some may be ego, but I for one gain far better utility from a full size truck.
sts7049
AG
Kyle Field Shade Chaser said:

sts7049 said:

What? Or there is utility benefits to a full size truck. Sure for some may be ego, but I for one gain far better utility from a full size truck.
i'm referring to the idea where many claim they want more small truck choices. if that isn't you, then my comment doesn't apply to you
ccolley68
AG
YouBet said:

The midsize trucks for GM and Chevy actually look better than the full size trucks at this point, IMO. It's always been the inverse until now for me. My brother just got the GM Canyon AT4 and that's a sharp looking truck. He didn't want a full size because he didn't need that much truck and it's easier to drive. Fits him better.

If I was getting a truck, it would definitely be one of these mid-size or small trucks. I don't need to tow anything and would use it for hauling stuff to the dump and maybe our paddleboards although SUV would likely work better for latter.

The starting points for Canyon and the Sierra are only $1k different but I assume the gap between the top level trims on both has a bigger gap?

I think this is the problem in a nutshell. You hear this statement all the time 'if I was getting a truck it'd be the smaller ones' or something of that nature. Problem is, the people that say this never do get the truck, they get an SUV or something else. People who actually buy trucks just go with the full size for all the reasons above.

I for one have always been a truck owner. Most recently a few F250 diesels. Love trucks and all the functionality of them. Didn't need something so big and all that, but instead of stepping down to a smaller truck, I got a Yukon and have been very pleased. Maybe it's vanity, whatever, but I couldn't go from a 4x4 diesel 3/4 truck to a Ranger/Tacoma type truck.

I will say when I was at the GMC dealer recently for service, they had a Canyon AT4 in the lobby and it was a good looking truck, and quite big.
Aggie Dad 26
I did own a 21' GMC Canyon that I had purchased brand new. Loved the truck. It didn't feel small but was definitely easy to maneuver and drive through traffic.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.