GM's 4 banger turbo

1,951 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Burdizzo
UnderoosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Started looking around at trucks for the first time in probably 10 years. Saw a decent price (for the times) on a '23 then saw it had a 4 cylinder. Thought it was a typo at first. How crappy is this thing? Does the current 5.3 still have AFM issues?
Flaith
AG
What's your usage profile? Mostly around town/highway driving? Any regular towing?
GTIAG09
AG
The turbo 4 has AFM as well...
PMD03
AG
If you have the time to watch the first 16 minutes of this video, they go into a lot of detail on the motor. Includes interviews with GM engineer.

Flaith
AG
Pros: Decent fuel economy on the highway while out of boost, long stroke so torque is available quickly, very impressive torque number (more torque and better torque curve than a lot of V8s) especially if towing at altitude

Cons: direct injection will cause carbon build up over time, AFM, doesn't sound as good as a V8, doesn't get better fuel mileage than 5.3L, need to run premium fuel

It is a very advanced engine. Lots of highly engineered components: three phase cam, electric water pump, dual input turbo. 3.0L Duramax is the engine for good fuel economy. I'm sure GM uses fuel economy as a selling point for the 2.7L, but it isn't actually a selling point.

None of that matters, because most people don't like it because it's a 4 cylinder in a full size truck. Full stop. Facts and figures don't matter in that argument.
UnderoosAg
AG
Don't tow or haul. Daily driver but used frequently with wife's furniture gig, bulk more than weight. My younger self had flowmasters. My current self rocks New Balance and I don't care about the sound, or speed, unless it can't get out of its own way.
Street Fighter
AG
My dad has a work truck with that engine, he hauls cabinets around in it and has no complaints so far.
BurnetAggie99
Find a Ford with 5.0 Coyote or get a diesel
Flaith
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Don't tow or haul. Daily driver but used frequently with wife's furniture gig, bulk more than weight. My younger self had flowmasters. My current self rocks New Balance and I don't care about the sound, or speed, unless it can't get out of its own way.

I think the engine fits your use case fine, then. Personally, I would delete/tune out AFM immediately on any GM engine. And make sure to run seafoam through the intake on a regular interval to deter carbon buildup.
aggie_wes
AG
3.0 diesel
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Friends parents bought a 24 custom to replace their 2014
Texas Edition.

Seems like GMs answer to the STX.

The 2.7L is a plucky little 4 Banger. Not sure of the long term durability, but I like what I see so far. The 2.7L Ecoboost has proven to be one of the best engines in Fords lineup.
BiggiesLX
Flaith said:

Pros: Decent fuel economy on the highway while out of boost, long stroke so torque is available quickly, very impressive torque number (more torque and better torque curve than a lot of V8s) especially if towing at altitude

Cons: direct injection will cause carbon build up over time, AFM, doesn't sound as good as a V8, doesn't get better fuel mileage than 5.3L, need to run premium fuel

It is a very advanced engine. Lots of highly engineered components: three phase cam, electric water pump, dual input turbo. 3.0L Duramax is the engine for good fuel economy. I'm sure GM uses fuel economy as a selling point for the 2.7L, but it isn't actually a selling point.

None of that matters, because most people don't like it because it's a 4 cylinder in a full size truck. Full stop. Facts and figures don't matter in that argument.

An advanced GM engine with worse mpg than a V8? That's a no for me.
heineman78
I can't vouch for the full size, but I have a Colorado with the TurboMax engine in it and it is great.

Consistently gets about 18-20 mpg with my lead foot.

Pulls strong with 430 ft/lbs of torque.

Manual specifies 87 octane, so not sure why the full size would require premium.

Can't speak for the longevity but it works great for me so far but only 5k miles on it.
Burdizzo
AG
I hope it includes the words "Iron Duke"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.