Mom needs an SUV

1,611 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by 1939
rwv2055
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My mom needs a newer SUV. She has a Buick Enclave now and likes the size but would be ok with a little smaller. For the last 50 years, her sister owned a GM dealership and has thus always owned Buicks or Chevys. They sold the dealership a few years ago and thus doesn't have the same hook up. I am trying to steer her towards something like a Highlander or Telluride. What other options should we be looking at, and what should we steer completely clear of?

I am going to be the one working on it when something breaks, so I want to steer her to something parts are cheap for and doesn't have any known major problems.

Third row seats are not needed, as she never uses hers now.
JP76
I would look at Highlander, grand highlander or rav 4
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Besides Highlander… 4runner limited. Palisade. Pilot. Lexus Rx, Lexus GX, explorer, telluride, armada, pathfinder

I'd stick to Toyota and Lexus first. go from there if she doesn't like those options
Dill-Ag13
AG
Rav4 or CX-5
Mas89
AG
Ford edge is great for a small suv. A relative was having knee problems getting in/ out of a lower sedan. The edge was perfect as not too high or too low to swing into.
Lexus gx 460 if not too expensive. 23 is the last v8 in the gx460.
ccolley68
AG
I feel like the Lexus RX is just the perfect vehicle for most older folks. Not too big, not to small, take grandkids when necessary, Lexus luxury, toyota dependability, and moderately priced.
rme
AG
ccolley68 said:

I feel like the Lexus RX is just the perfect vehicle for most older folks. Not too big, not to small, take grandkids when necessary, Lexus luxury, toyota dependability, and moderately priced.
I agree. My wife test drove a BMW X5 last week and really liked it. Maintenance costs after a few years could be a concern.

Highlander is practical choice, Lexus is a great choice, BMW is performance with higher initial cost and some level of maintenance risk.
maroon barchetta
My wife got a Kia Seltos two years ago (I didn't know it existed before she mentioned it as an option). It's been great so far.
rebel06
AG
Is she selling her Enclave? I've been casually looking for a used one.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I am going to be the one working on it when something breaks,
Good for you, but if I could steer mom toward a new car under warranty, that might be easier on both of you.
mefoghorn
AG
The used CX-5s are a really good value. Not too big and easy to drive/park.
rwv2055
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

I am going to be the one working on it when something breaks,
Good for you, but if I could steer mom toward a new car under warranty, that might be easier on both of you.
Normally, she goes for 1-2 year old cars with approx. 20,000 miles, but she wants some thing cheaper that will last her 2-3 years, then go with her last car. Its a cash flow thing, and wants to pay off Dads truck first. Trans in the Buick is about to go.
rwv2055
AG
Yes, but it will need a transmission fairly quickly. 200k+ miles
rwv2055
AG
Kyle Field Shade Chaser said:

Besides Highlander… 4runner limited. Palisade. Pilot. Lexus Rx, Lexus GX, explorer, telluride, armada, pathfinder

I'd stick to Toyota and Lexus first. go from there if she doesn't like those options
I dont know about the 4runner, as I have a Tacoma and she can not get into it. It is stock, but has 265/65R17 tires.
rebel06
AG
That has more miles on it than I'm looking for.
Texker
AG
mefoghorn said:

The used CX-5s are a really good value. Not too big and easy to drive/park.
I like Mazda. A lot of car for the $. Kid was in 2 horrendous accidents both totaled(not their fault) and walked away. 1 with passengers in the front and back seats. All walked away.
AG
2021 Yukon XL AT4

Here is what I'd buy, even has TV's for the kids. This board has tons of Toyota Bros, you don't have to buy a foreign job. Most cars are going to last you a long time these days with good reliability.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.