Beware of the Bucees Carwash

6,774 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by BrazosDog02
dahouse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife goes to the Bucees carwash often. In the summer she goes every Thursday to get the kids out of the house for the cleaners. Last week she told me about scratches on the hood.

I went and took a look at it and sure enough, hood is completely scratched up and so is the roof above the windshield. I didn't climb on top to see what that looks like.

I'm hoping a detailer can buff it out. It feels rough but it doesn't look like it went deeper than the clear coat. It made the hood look dull too. That vehicle had ceramic on it as well.

Anyone here ever dealt with this?
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
TRIDENT
AG
I have a deep distrust of all automatic car washes. Maybe reach out to a good auto detail guy and see what he can do?
aggiedata
AG
Ceramic and car washes aren't a good combination.

Bob Kelso
AG
I would stop going to those places. I only go if I need the vehicle cleaned in a pinch. If not, I avoid entirely.

No one cleans that equipment. Every time you go through one, you're taking a risk. Who knows if those brushes just got a bunch of mud off of a previous vehicle and now the rocks, debris, and fallout are still hanging on the machines. Even hand wash places... they're not washing those mitts.
TefIon Don
AG
Go brushless only.
gggmann
AG
buy an electric power washer and a foam cannon. It'll pay for itself in a month or two. If you don't like hand drying you can buy an deionizer as well.

aTm2004
AG
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Hand washing at home is the way to go.

A 12 dollar car wash cuts corners somewhere. Either in soaps,
Cleaning the equipment, or a combination of both.

dahouse
AG
Any reputable detail guys in the Katy area?
Cody
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
dahouse said:

Any reputable detail guys in the Katy area?

Mason road hand car wash is great if you
Just need a wash/shampoo

bespoke auto detail does my garage queens.
Leeman
Can't go wrong with a hand job.
TxAg20
AG
You should tread lightly criticizing the Bucees establishment. The Bucees defenders around here take no prisoners!
Ol_Ag_02
AG
The bronco gets washed about twice a year by hand. When I'm done I think, wow this looks pretty nice. Welp see you in the fall, bucket.
hunterjr81
Yea go brushless or hand job it at home. Those drive through car washes damage the paint.
drumboy
AG
gggmann said:

buy an electric power washer and a foam cannon. It'll pay for itself in a month or two. If you don't like hand drying you can buy an deionizer as well.

Do you coat with foam and then power wash? Scrub foam and then power wash? Recommended foam soap?

I have a membership at Clearwater but worry about this stuff.
Texker
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

1ags has spoken. EOT.
EMY92
AG
Unless the vehicle is very dirty, I use a rinse less wash. I've been doing that for over 6 years. I'm almost 2 years into my second vehicle, neither had any of the spiderweb clear coat scratches.

Also, the rinse less is much faster and does a good job on the windows. I actually use that on the exterior windows on my house as well.
Jethro95
AG
This is my new favorite pre-wash foam.

Gyeon Q2M Foam
gggmann
AG
drumboy said:

gggmann said:

Do you coat with foam and then power wash? Scrub foam and then power wash? Recommended foam soap?

I have a membership at Clearwater but worry about this stuff.
I do a pre-rinse w/ the power washer first (~1100 psi w/ a 25 degree nozzle). Then I clean the wheels - that takes the longest, they are pretty deep rims and there is a ton of brake dust. Then I use the foam cannon on the whole car and then rinse w/ the power washer again - i rarely need to scrub anything.

I'm partial to Mr. Pink soap from Chemical Guys. It's a pretty mild soap which is all I need - about 1/2 my car (full front, rockers, rear wheel wells) has PPF and everything is ceramic coated. It cleans up pretty easily.

I finish by using a leaf blower to dry off and then touch up w/ a micro fiber towel. I do a tire shine application, and I do the interior last as needed (about every other wash).

From the time I step into the garage to start setting up everything to when I'm done and have everything put away is less than an hour.
EMY92
AG
It takes me about 3 hours to wash and dry the Raptor with the foam cannon. Then, about an hour after I'm done, I'll hit the drips that come from inside the mirrors, door handles, and bed rails with Griots quick detailer.
gggmann
AG
EMY92 said:

It takes me about 3 hours to wash and dry the Raptor with the foam cannon. Then, about an hour after I'm done, I'll hit the drips that come from inside the mirrors, door handles, and bed rails with Griots quick detailer.
You have a lot more surface area to hit compared to me.
dahouse
AG
I have a good detail guy that I use occasionally, but I don't think he can handle the scratches. Anyone know a good contact in the Katy area that can buff this out (or whatever they do in this situation)
Cody
SCHTICK00
AG
dahouse said:

My wife goes to the Bucees carwash often. In the summer she goes every Thursday to get the kids out of the house for the cleaners. Last week she told me about scratches on the hood.

I went and took a look at it and sure enough, hood is completely scratched up and so is the roof above the windshield. I didn't climb on top to see what that looks like.

I'm hoping a detailer can buff it out. It feels rough but it doesn't look like it went deeper than the clear coat. It made the hood look dull too. That vehicle had ceramic on it as well.

Anyone here ever dealt with this?

Does your car happen to be a GM and between 2015 and 2019 in model year?
dahouse
AG
Ha. Both my vehicles are. Truck still looks shiny though
Cody
SCHTICK00
AG
It's not the car wash. Your clear coat suddenly failed. There's a class action lawsuit over it. We have the same issue on our Yukon where it looks like cats had a mma fight club on your hood and cab
dahouse
AG
Why would it only fail in one area and not the entire vehicle?
Cody
SCHTICK00
AG
Hood and cab between the windshield and sunroof is where ours and others I've seen failed. I assume it has to do with direct sunlight
dahouse
AG
Makes sense. What's the remedy? I'm not holding my breath that GM will do anything
Cody
SCHTICK00
AG
Buy a new hood painted and sell it
SCHTICK00
AG
And sell the truck before you take a major hit for paint failure
dahouse
AG
Trust me, I'd love to trade in the Yukon and get a new one. But interest rates are high and inventory is low so prices are high.

Cody
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Texker said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

1ags has spoken. EOT.

Hand washed the Ladyfriends Tahoe with the kiddos helping. The only way to go.
BrazosDog02
AG
My trucks get hand washed and waxed once a year. They are filthy the rest of the year and I refuse to use a car wash of any sort. The wife used to do that and it only resulted in me having the still hand wash her truck and then spend even more time with compounds and polishes to remove the swirls.

Hers just stays dirty now too.
The Kraken
AG
I've had car wash memberships for years and never had any issues.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
hurricanejake02
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

It's not the car wash. Your clear coat suddenly failed. There's a class action lawsuit over it. We have the same issue on our Yukon where it looks like cats had a mma fight club on your hood and cab
Glad to see GM learned their lesson from the 1990 pickups, where all of the white paint flaked off the hood and roof because it didn't stick to the primer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.