Four wheel drive SUVs

6,825 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jh0400
texrover91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now that is a 110!

jh0400
AG
The minimal tech in the 4Runner is a feature and not a bug for me. Fewer things to break or look dated if you keep a vehicle for more than a few years.

Based on where rates are today I think my plan is going to be to check out the 4Runner, GX, Sequoia, and Defender at the car show in January and figure out something to buy when I get my bonus in March. Unless I love one of the others, my desire to pay cash is probably going to push me to a TRD Pro 4Runner.
Aggietaco
AG
JSKolache said:

Sequoia all day. Last Sequoia's 4wd is actually a selectable full time 4wd system. 2hi, 4hi, 4lo with a lockable center diff. Pretty rad, and i wish the capability was moving into the new generation, but it's not. I went tundra to sequoia and would do it again. When i wear this one out, a 21/22 trd pro will be at top of the list by default.
Agree with this man. Ignore the crap gas mileage and enjoy an ancient platform with a proven track record and abundance of parts and support.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Redstone said:

I have a 2016 4Runner Limited.

"Underpowered" V6 with 270hp? Doesn't seem like it, because I don't off-road, and the trade offs are very much worth it.

Drives and moves like a champion. Great interior. I'm always comfortable. Will take to 300K +

Minimal tech and a trusted engine helps with minimal maintenance costs. One reason Scotty Kilmer always recommends Toyota / Honda , and praises the 4R.
I've got a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a 270hp V6 w/8spd Auto and a Grand Cherokee with a 230hp V8 w/4spd Auto.

Anecdotal evidence but, the Grand Cherokee accelerates way faster when I'm trying to get on the freeways in LA.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
jh0400 said:

The $400 oil changes are a definite strike against the Defender, and I totally agree that it is the best looking SUV on the road right now.

LOLWUT?
Redstone
AG
Will the Chrysler's go to 300K with routine maintenance?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

jh0400 said:

The $400 oil changes are a definite strike against the Defender, and I totally agree that it is the best looking SUV on the road right now.

LOLWUT?

Why do you think there's a 50+ page land cruiser thread and no defender thread. It's not because they aren't cool.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
You guys don't think the new defenders are ugly as sin?
jh0400
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

This one is beautiful. Again, were it not for the outrageous cost of ownership I would be all over one of these.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d151&zip=77074&pid=directVDPSimilarListing#listing=336645037
Ol_Ag_02
AG

I do, but old ones are really badass.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Yeah it looks like somebody tried to make a discovery out of legos. At least that one doesn't have a snorkel
Ogre09
AG
JSKolache said:

Sequoia all day. Last Sequoia's 4wd is actually a selectable full time 4wd system. 2hi, 4hi, 4lo with a lockable center diff. Pretty rad, and i wish the capability was moving into the new generation, but it's not. I went tundra to sequoia and would do it again. When i wear this one out, a 21/22 trd pro will be at top of the list by default.

I know the new Sequoia is going to a twin turbo hybrid V6 (437 hp, 583 ft lb), and going back to a solid read axle (hence the raised third row floor). I hadn't heard about the move to part time 4wd only. That sucks. The 4HI with the center diff is awesome for slick roads.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

When I took delivery of mine in February they offered me $24k over MSRP to walk away.
I would have walked out with that check in 5 minutes....

No, you would have sat in the finance department for 90 minutes while they looked over their own car trying to figure out a way to get an extra five hundred out of you and smoking cigarettes.
drumboy
AG

Yeah it looks like somebody tried to make a discovery out of legos. At least that one doesn't have a snorkel

I think it looks like a Defender had a glow up with Instagram filter.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Greener Acres
AG
2022 4Runner is tuned for better performance than many older models (experience: owned1998/2005/2011/2022 models). It's no racehorse but I find the 2022 to be very adequate and less bothersome than older models in that regard. I'd recommend the 2022 without the folding third row. It eats up a bunch of space for storage. As I remember, thats not an issue with TRD Pro models as there's no option for a 3rd row.

I also have a gx470. Seats are great but when I get into the newer GX 460s from the dealership I find them uncomfortable and the center stack to be poorly laid out. I have a tape deck and a mere aux cable for "streaming" music and I find it a better layout than the current gx models.

Agree on the rear seat concerns about the Sequoia. I'm hoping to see it in person to see the impact. I can tell just from our 4 runner to our gx that the lost space from those third rows is immense.
Mas89
AG
texrover91 said:

Now that is a 110!

Crazy that it was in front of the restaurant right after I had read this thread. Same day.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Redstone said:

Will the Chrysler's go to 300K with routine maintenance?
That's a great question that I'll probably never find out.

I think the wife's 1994 Grand Cherokee would have made it to 300,000 miles. It had 225,000 miles on it when we moved to Australia in 2008.

After the past 2 1/2 years of plandemic driving, I've only got 35,000 miles on my 2020 Wrangler JLU and over half of that is long trips between Texas & California.

My 21 year old Grand Cherokee has less than 150,000 miles on it and I drive it less than 1,000 miles/year. It still hauls ass though. It's a solid 3rd car for when one of the others is down for maintenance. Example, during peak Covid, it took the Jeep dealer over 1 month to source parts for my Wrangler after it was in the shop.

My workhorse 23 year old Ford Expedition has 236,000 miles on it. It's done about 6,000 miles during the past year because I drove it from California to Texas and back. Also, I've started doing more airport runs in it because the JLU Wrangler doesn't handle worth a damn over 80 mph whereas the Expy cruises at 90mph no problem.
drumboy
AG
GAC06 said:

GX is getting a full redesign for 2024 model year
So just an even bigger grill?
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
lknapp
I have a 2019 4Runner TRD "Nightshade Edition" that I'm probably going to be selling in the next few weeks.
cohibasymas
AG
Nice ride!!!

We have thoroughly enjoyed our 2020 TRD Off Road Premium. We live way up in the San Juan mountains in SW CO; we feel like this truck was made just for us.
vansprinkle
AG
You should be able to pick up a 2-3 year old GX for a decent price. They don't seem to hold their value like other Toyotas.
jh0400
AG
So after all of that, it's looking like the winner is going to be a Grand Cherokee 4xe Trailhawk. Most of my driving is to and from work (<15 miles round trip) and my office garage has plenty of free chargers, so that's a plus as well.
water turkey
No way a Chrysler makes it to 300k…..
HDeathstar
2019 TRD Off Road Premium - Have enjoyed it. works well offroad and in the city.
jh0400
AG
No way I'm keeping it to 300k. I drive around 10,000 miles a year and will get bored with it in five years or so most likely.
SteveA
AG
Jeep wrangler! I like my wrangler unlimited better than my 4 runner in every way. I have the 2.0 turbo and is pretty quick for the class. I averaged almost 23mph overall on my last tank. Removable hard too is great in nicer weather. Mine is still stock but have taken to several off road parks and the San Juan's.
The current 4Runner uses an old motor and an old 5 speed transmission. I didn't care for the drive train. It was pretty sluggish. I also hated the seat so much I traded it.
MouthBQ98
AG
4-runner will have the best after market support if you want to make it a good 4x4. The Lexus will be good also. Bless you are doing major rock crawling, probably anything mentioned would be fine.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I'm not a big guy and I can't imagine losing the seat size of a tundra. A smaller vehicle leaning back like a sports car is fine, but the seats on tacos, 4Runners, etc, and the cab space around feels cramped.
Take the trash out staff.
nortex97
AG
drumboy said:

GAC06 said:

So just an even bigger grill?
Supposedly, and take this for what it's worth, as an anonymous poster on the internet, but the Toyota head said they will bring back a Land Cruiser to the US market in the future.

My guess is that means some sort of hybrid/silliness that will offend the purists, but I do respect the Toyo loyalists on that off roading stuff...
planoaggie123
AG
Wife has a 2017 GX460. We really enjoy. What actually ended up being a slight negative is that we bought the Luxury model (purchased used) and that makes doing mods a little more tricky (suspension).

We plan to upgrade her in Q1 2024 and if things work out the GX will become my primary and I am looking forward to it...
drumboy
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

I'm not a big guy and I can't imagine losing the seat size of a tundra. A smaller vehicle leaning back like a sports car is fine, but the seats on tacos, 4Runners, etc, and the cab space around feels cramped.
I got an LX570 recently and the size of the seat is fine but the lack of any type of storage is really frustrating. Where am I supposed to store all of the random shlt I don't ever need that I've had in my huge Tundra console the past 8 years?!

I do need to find a spot to keep my 20oz local brewery glass so I get an extra 4oz for free.
91AggieLawyer
AG
silverado_lover said:

Definitely give the 4Runner a test drive to make sure you can live with how underpowered it is

It isn't underpowered. It gets ON the highway, for example, with absolutely no problem. Where it suffers is passing at highway speeds (above 70). It will do it, but not as quickly as a V8 or a higher HP V6 sedan. If you have to do the latter a lot, and it will frustrate you, then I would probably avoid the 4Runner. Otherwise, I think you'll like it and have plenty of power for most things.
jh0400
AG
Rule one. I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow. I've only had it a day, but so far I love it.

PrestigeWorldwideAg12
GAC06 said:

Where is the info on this? They've been saying this for years with the 4Runner and the GX yet it is the same product every year.
'03ag
Where'd you get and did they have more?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.