Craigslist crack heads and Facebook freaks

9,042 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mefoghorn
Aggie_Boomin 21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not automotive related, but my dad threw a couch my parents were trying to get rid of up on Facebook marketplace. He wasn't asking for much and had low expectations, it was about a decade old futon with low use. First inquiry he got was a woman that asked if anyone ever had sex on it.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Not automotive related, but my dad threw a couch my parents were trying to get rid of up on Facebook marketplace. He wasn't asking for much and had low expectations, it was about a decade old futon with low use. First inquiry he got was a woman that asked if anyone ever had sex on it.
Hopefully his reply was "Your Mom"
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I think he said something along the lines of "Nopeā€¦ Well, other than our dogs".
Iowaggie
AG
These people?

https://instagr.am/p/CeHeyXaBCGp
lb3
AG
I looked into a $4k mountain bike listed for $800. It was just listed an hour or two prior and looked immaculate but had a limited number of pictures. It's down the road so I offer full price and ask if I can pick it up within the next hour.

The response is that the seller was listing for their Aunt and I should email her. I get a quick reply from the Aunt saying she was recently widowed and just moved back to Kansas City to be with family and that she wants the bike sold because it brings her sad memories. She'll ship the bike for free but wants to use 'eBay Services' to escrow the money for both of our safety.

The inability to see the product in person and the fake escrow is the basis of many of these scams.
CanyonAg77
AG
Funny thing is that many of these "too good to be true" items seem to be listed by real estate companies.

Weird way to generate contact info.
investorAg83
AG
Jason_InfinityRoofer said:

I'm always looking for another nice 6.0 Ford Diesel and I found one in almost as good a shape as mine. It looked pretty legit. The price was $1600, but I assumed a typo. The seller was a realtor out of PA "selling it for her daughter". After no response from anyone and multiple attempts, the daughter emails me

Hi, my name is Daniela !
Thank you for your interest in my 2005 Ford F-350 LARIAT 4X4 DRW model, never had or needed any paint/body work done, garaged, kept always, without any mechanical problems. The truck has only 124,610 miles, it is in excellent condition, no liens or loans, it has been very well maintained, with a clean title and no accident history. The engine is 6.0L 8-cylinder, automatic transmission. I am selling it at this final price of $ 1600 because my husband died 2 month ago (he had a heart attack) and it brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it asap. I also got a new job and moved, and many other things have priority now, so the truck has to go. I want to use eBay services for the safety of both of us so if you're interested in purchasing this truck, I can notify eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure. I am waiting for your reply.

As soon as I read that I knew it was actually a scam. Again, can't figure it out but don't really care that much.

This is exactly how my buddy found an LS1 Z28 in Florida about 10 years ago. Not all are scams but most probably are.
CanyonAg77
AG
So, I'm selling a pickup, as many of you have seen.

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3298730/replies/62409096

I put a CL ad up, as well as here and FB, and I got this from CL

I specifically said "If the ad is up, it's still available" in the ad. But I was bored and responded to this nut, anyway.

Any idea why he wants me to email, when we are already communicating via text?

Why does he want to know the location, when that's laid out in the ad?
Bob Kelso
AG
I give them a couple of tries to communicate properly and then I am a straight up ******** to them. Dumbest mf'ers to deal with when selling to the "general public".
Whoop Delecto
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

MasterCraft boats in CA with photos of actual boats in Australia.

MFBarnes?
TxAg20
AG
WhoopRAB said:

Several people have been scammed recently by legit looking sellers on Boat Trader website. One guy supposedly for 10s of thousands.

MasterCraft boats in CA with photos of actual boats in Australia. Denny's Boatworks & Sales is the scammer.

Boat Trader notified but unresponsive.

https://ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/26523/it-appears-that-you-cannot-trust-boattrader-com

Do they put the steering wheel on the port side in Oz?
Whoop Delecto
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
Further research indicates they want you to email so they can try to hack your email and commit further scams.
texags08
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Feel free to add your experiences.
Your selling experience is basically why I shipped my Grand Cherokee back from Australia.

If you really want some fun, try selling your household goods that you can't or won't ship to your new residence. I sold a $70 iron to a guy for $5. It was listed for $10 which he agreed to and then showed up and asked if I'd take $5. At that point, I just wanted it gone.

Similar stories for Printer, Computer Speakers, Television, Microwave, etc.

And it's hilarious too. People are getting a $150 microwave for $30 and they want to inspect it. And the Indian kid who bought my computer speakers and subwoofer who wanted me to give him the speakers and then Paypal me when he got home. Cash on the barrel head thanks.

I still feel kind of bad about the teenage kid who showed up with his dad to buy my Grand Cherokee for $1,500 and offered me $1,400 which I would have taken. But they decided it needed too much work. Fine by me. Thing runs like a bat outta hell on the LA Freeways and has no trouble on the trail to my mountain property in Nevada either (except for where I hit the rear diff on a big rock).

EDIT: Left out the best story - the lady who showed up to buy my outdoor table and six chairs. She was smart, she brought a tape measure and checked to see if it would fit in her apartment. Barely.

Agreed to $150 (I spent $1,000 a decade earlier) and showed up to pick it up in her Mini Cooper. Then asked if I could deliver it to her since it wouldn't fit in her Cooper (remember she already measured it). I'm still in at this point, just want it gone. Then, decided it wouldn't fit. I just left it for the next tenants when I moved out.

I'll give you $1500 for your Grand Cherokee as long as it's 4WD. That's a steal regardless of the year.
AKA the Command Center guy... 0E stacks memberā€¦
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Somewhat related, i keep getting calls from people trying to buy a house (that's not for sale). They always start by asking if they have my name right. I started getting paranoid about the fact that i was saying the word "yes" over the phone to someone who's obviously trying to scam me, so i tested the theory. When they ask me "is this _____?" I answer "this is he" and they proceed to continue to ask me more questions where "yes" is the easy, obvious answer. Is there something nefarious going on or is it just an a-hole salesman "i bet i can get him to say yes" thing?
HollywoodBQ
AG
texags08 said:

I'll give you $1500 for your Grand Cherokee as long as it's 4WD. That's a steal regardless of the year.
Agreed. We sold my wife's 1994 Grand Cherokee to some dude from The IE for $1500 cash a few hours before we headed to the airport to move to Australia at the end of 2007.

And that was only a V8 Laredo with about 225,000 miles on it. The RHD one I brought back is a V8 Limited with about 135,000 miles on it.
CanyonAg77
AG
So some guy took time out of his busy day to tell me the asking price on my pickup is too high, "LOL".

Gee, thanks random guy on Facebook messenger. I guess it was too much trouble to simply pass by if you didn't like the price.
Texmid
AG
Hewey Calloway said:

Sometimes I enjoy talking with the Facebook crackheads. Here's a conversation I had a few years back when I was trying to sell my dirt bike. He didn't end up buying it.

You should have responded with something like "you cannot afford a couple vowels, I don't think you can afford the bike."
aggieforester05
AG
Recently sold a couch for my parents on FB. The amount of scammers hammering me non stop for days, makes me never want to sell anything there again. Eventually found a buyer that paid about 75% of asking, but it was a PITA, that reminded me of craigslist nightmares.
StinkyPinky
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Feel free to add your experiences.
Your selling experience is basically why I shipped my Grand Cherokee back from Australia.

If you really want some fun, try selling your household goods that you can't or won't ship to your new residence. I sold a $70 iron to a guy for $5. It was listed for $10 which he agreed to and then showed up and asked if I'd take $5. At that point, I just wanted it gone.

Similar stories for Printer, Computer Speakers, Television, Microwave, etc.

And it's hilarious too. People are getting a $150 microwave for $30 and they want to inspect it. And the Indian kid who bought my computer speakers and subwoofer who wanted me to give him the speakers and then Paypal me when he got home. Cash on the barrel head thanks.

I still feel kind of bad about the teenage kid who showed up with his dad to buy my Grand Cherokee for $1,500 and offered me $1,400 which I would have taken. But they decided it needed too much work. Fine by me. Thing runs like a bat outta hell on the LA Freeways and has no trouble on the trail to my mountain property in Nevada either (except for where I hit the rear diff on a big rock).

EDIT: Left out the best story - the lady who showed up to buy my outdoor table and six chairs. She was smart, she brought a tape measure and checked to see if it would fit in her apartment. Barely.

Agreed to $150 (I spent $1,000 a decade earlier) and showed up to pick it up in her Mini Cooper. Then asked if I could deliver it to her since it wouldn't fit in her Cooper (remember she already measured it). I'm still in at this point, just want it gone. Then, decided it wouldn't fit. I just left it for the next tenants when I moved out.
We did the exact same moving from Texas to Australia was I was younger (the late '80s) which was even an order of magnitude worse since converters didn't really exist for the electronics other than something the size of a bread machine that weight 50 lbs.
f burg ag
AG
I bought a 1995 Ford 7.3 F250 off Ebay......my sphincter was clinched until it was delivered.
Kenneth_2003
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

So, I'm selling a pickup, as many of you have seen.

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3298730/replies/62409096

I put a CL ad up, as well as here and FB, and I got this from CL

I specifically said "If the ad is up, it's still available" in the ad. But I was bored and responded to this nut, anyway.

Any idea why he wants me to email, when we are already communicating via text?

Why does he want to know the location, when that's laid out in the ad?
I got bored one night and responded to one of the Insta-thot scammers. "She" insisted I give her my Gmail so we could chat via some other app. Again, why since we're chatting here?

I tried to wander down the "how does this scam work" rabbit hole but didn't get very far.
CanyonAg77
AG
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5388033414615919/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A38695b7b-b764-495e-8807-bfdc4d603371

Quote:

This 1988 Chevy Square Body Dually is tougher than you are.

If you're reading this, you get it. This truck lives on a healthy diet of fuel, Copenhagen Long Cut and Wild Turkey. Chances are, you have lost a girlfriend or two to it. It probably used to pick on you in middle school. It took your lunch money and then got you to apologize for it with a glance. It wears a mullet, and you don't even dislike that about it. And somehow, despite all that, you still want to be friends with it. It has MOJO.

YOU PROBABLY DO NOT WANT THIS TRUCK IF:

1. Your coffee order has more than 3 words.
2. Your pants are tight enough to see your veins through them.
3. You have ever used the phrase "we just need to trust the contractor to do his job."
4. You call changing brake pads "working on the truck".
5. You can name any song by Ariana Grande.

Sure, it's a little older. But so is Reba McEntire. Are you telling me Reba McEntire isn't perfect? I dare you to disagree.

Like Reba, she has a lot of good things going for her.

What you get:
1. It has a Chevy 350 motor. Let it run.
2. It has a new HEI distributor. You're welcome.
3. It has a clean Texas title. All you'll need to salvage is your dignity if you don't buy it.
4. It has new plugs and wires. Again, you're welcome.
5. It has an after-market intake. I've done enough for you already.

What you need to know:
1. The motor is locked up, ran for a bit before that happened. Who hasn't been there, ammirite?
2. Back end is completely full of aircooled VW parts including exhaust, engines, carbs, etc and those go with the truck. Christmas in the summer.

The bottom line is this thing is the exact shape of the void in your heart, and that is what it is an absolute steal at $2000. Open to trades for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of Ted Cruz for his connection with the 'Zodiac Killer' murders.
Rattler12
Years back Pop had a 56 GMC 1 1/2 T 4 wheel drive truck he had bought from a local seismograph company to use on the deer lease. It had a PTO winch on it. A few years later Pop got off the deer lease and wanted to sell the truck. My brother lived in Houston at the time and took it to his house and put it up for sale for $1250. Dude comes by to look at it and says, "How much for just the winch?" Bro says, "$1250." Guy says, " No I only want the winch. How much for it?" Bro says, " The winch is $1250. I'm throwin the rest of the truck in for free."
CanyonAg77
AG
If it was a NAPCO conversion 4WD, you'll kick yourself when you find out how desirable, collectible, and valuable those are.
Rattler12
CanyonAg77 said:

If it was a NAPCO conversion 4WD, you'll kick yourself when you find out how desirable, collectible, and valuable those are.
I think it was a NAPCO but this was back in the late 70's early 80's. Straight 6, 4 spd granny ******, 4:56 gears, about 60 mph WOT in high range and 4th and a snail creep WOT in low range and granny gear. It had a flat bed and high side boards and we had also used it on the dairy as a silage truck from the field to the silo until Pop sold out in 1970
mefoghorn
AG
Many of the CL folks do come with a sob story to justify their lowball offer. I try to head that off with saying "firm" in the ad and showing all the flaws up front in the ad. Too many just want to "win" the haggle deal regardless of the value of the vehicle.

I find that being super-polite in any texting helps bring the best folks.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.