DFW: Telluride purchase questions

5,331 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by txag2008
txag2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone recently been through a new Telluride purchase in the DFW area? Experience on dealerships charging (or not charging) market adjustments over MSRP?

I've read that there's only one dealership in the Houston area that is selling ordered Tellurides at MSRP (albeit a ~6mo wait...)
ocag
AG
Moritz was MSRP when I bought mine but that was at the beginning of Covid. Not sure what they are doing now. Good experience overall.
dodger02
AG
Moritz in Alliance

They sell more Tellurides than anyone. No markup. They'll order for you if you want. Easiest car buying experience I've ever had.

If you want my salesman's name, shoot me a DM.
'03ag
Dm'd
IronMan92
AG
Ft. Bend Kia in Houston is the dealership that sells at MSRP. Wait time for the Sorento is 4-6 months. 9 months for the Telluride. They take a $500 deposit for pre-orders, but is fully refundable for any reason. They will do deposits over the phone.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Moritz FW has a $900 dealer prep fee on all orders.

Huffines Corinth has $0 dealer prep but in late December wouldn't take my order and indicated a 60-90 day wait to place one. Huffines McKinney also has no markup. I'm unsure if the separate locations operate differently.

Huffines Corinth called me in late December with a buyer backout but wanted $4,995 in dealer added options (tint, blinking brake light, ceramic coat interior/exterior, rubber floor mats) and I declined.
txag2008
AG
Thanks everyone for the replies. I figured I'd follow-up if anyone was interested.
  • Moritz Alliance is ordering for MSRP plus a $898 'dealer prep fee'
  • Huffines McKinney is ordering for MSRP (no fees). No deposit or anything when ordering.

We ended up going through Huffines. They are quoting 6-8mo on orders with 90% of vehicles coming in at the 6mo mark.
Streetfighter 02
AG
https://www.failcat.com/dealers

I talked to Moritz and they are standing by 16-18 weeks for the vehicle I ordered in December.

The link above can allow you to search how many vehicles each dealer gets. Moritz has 3/4 top slots so I'm hopeful they can actually meet that deadline. I just had to spend $1200 to repair the vehicle I'm trying to replace and that felt like a win after the first quote was $4500.
agracer
AG
Lots of dealers charge "prep fees" on all sales, not just the hot models. Even used car sales. I've been shopping and it's varied from $299 to $699
Streetfighter 02
AG
I made my monthly update call to Moritz last Friday and have an actual target delivery for the Telluride I ordered. I placed my order in late December 2021 and my delivery target is July 4, 2022.
Tube
Moritz told me their prep fee is now about $1,800. Huffines is no longer taking orders because they 1) have to many orders and 2) will begin taking orders for '23 models soon. I'm curious is some of those folks waiting will change their orders to the new model year and some 22s may have a little more availability.
IDAg10
AG
Did they give you any indication if they expected it to be a 2022 or 2023 model with a July delivery date?
BClark
AG
We ordered mid November from Huffines Corinth. Told 4-6 mos but still waiting. Latest update from a few weeks ago was we were 99th on their list. Sales guy said expect mid summer and hope it is earlier.

Also, said last year the factory didn't change year models until the fall. But if they don't get your built by the changeover, you get the next year model but will pay whatever new MSRP is.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I did ask him this question and he said it would be a '22. He didn't expect to be switched to a '23 until the fall. There are also two new trim options for '23 so if you got switched I'd want the option to select those if possible. I called Huffines at the same time last year and they wouldn't accept my order at the Corinth location. I have asked on each call when my order was accepted by Kia and he said it's accepted the day I ordered. The reality is there are two "systems" for ordering. There is a dealer order system where orders are placed and there is the KFOS (Kia Forward Ordering System) where the factory actually picks up the order for production. If you haven't been pulled into KFOS your timeline is virtually unknown.

The X-Pro model for 2023 has more of what I'd have preferred. It comes with all the nice interior options but allows for an 18" wheel with more tire. This will allow you to run an A/T tire if you want and probably keep your wife from rashing the wheels on curbs around town.

All that said I feel like I waited too long as it is. I had to make a $1200 repair to my Audi A7 the week after I ordered and at this point it's just a ticking time bomb in my mind.
IDAg10
AG
Thanks for the insight and I'm in a very similar situation. We order a Telluride from Ft Bend Kia at the beginning of December last year and the dealer is expecting it to arrive June/July.

Since we have put the order in, we have sunk another $1200 into repairs on the BMW X3 we will be replacing....
Streetfighter 02
AG
The original repair quote was around $4500. Apparently replacement radiator fans for Audis are $1700 each new and you need two. I took a chance on used parts from ebay and they seem to be working so far.
BClark
AG
I feel your pain. I had to put a new set of tires on our suburban that I'm getting rid of once our Telluride comes in.
jeffer_2000
We ordered a Telluride from Moritz FW the last week of October 2021. At the time was told 3-4 months, but we're now expecting around 7 months.

Last time I spoke to our salesman he said we were #8 on the list of remaining orders not to be filled yet. Also pretty sure he told me that once they get the VIN number and notification that order is "filled", then we still need to add 3-4 weeks for processing and delivery to the dealership.

Hoping we get that call of our order being ready in the coming weeks. I also track the failsafe link someone shared earlier and it's helpful to see the dealership Tellurides that are coming in.

I'm just not sure if the cars show up on that website once they're built or once they're delivered to Moritz
Streetfighter 02
AG
They show up on failcat once the vin is assigned. That apparently means it's made it to paint and final assembly. Once it's on there you're a few weeks from getting the car.

From my research there are two trackable milestones during the manufacturing process of your order.

First is being picked up into KFOS. Your order is being filled here but the manufacturing is just starting. A target delivery date is assigned by the factory and it's somewhat meaningless. Highly inaccurate at best.

Second is getting the VIN assigned. Your vehicle is pretty much built at this point and should be at the dealer in a few weeks max. The forecast delivery date can still swing a lot here and the car could be just as easily late as early.

Lastly not all vins show in failcat so if you don't see it there it's not the end of the world.

I had been checking it daily recently since they told me in March it would probably arrive in May. The July target seems a lot more trustworthy.

I would call and ask if the order is in KFOS and what the target delivery is shown to be.

FYI I ordered an SX Premium, Nightfall, Towing in dark moss with dune brown leather. I have no idea how model selection affects timing.
Shawdaddy
AG
I ordered one of a telluride for my wife fom Ft Bend Kia last November and am still waiting. A couple of month back her Pacifica finally had enough problems that I got tired of it and traded it in on a new Expedition, which she loves. I still have my order and deposit with Ft Bend Kia. Anyone know if the order is transferable?
Tube
What are the details of your order? Might be interested to work something out.
Shawdaddy
AG
Tube-

SX Nightfall AWD
Black Copper Paint
Black Interior
gonzo03
mosdefn14
AG
Bumping this to see if anyone has updates on their dealer experience? Moritz is most convenient for me, but no one has seemed interested in talking through the order process with me.

Do we have a great Kia contact, metroplex or otherwise?
Streetfighter 02
AG
I called for an update last week and found out that my salesman is no longer with the dealership. It sounded like he got married to a sugar momma and elected to not work anymore. They provided an updated ETA of June 30th. The original target was July 4th. I haven't seen it pop up in failcat and they didn't yet have a VIN for the vehicle but it should be arriving in the next few weeks.
Tabasco
AG
Had a friend that is apparently oblivious to the car situation, and thought you can just want onto a lot a buy one. I called fort bend Kia and sales after I saw 21 tellurides on their website. I asked hi how many of those are actually for sale, response, zero. How many in the pipeline/dealer orders to buy… zero. Lead time for new orders… "recently it was 12-18 months, but things are so backed up, we are not accepting any new orders.

We got ours from Classic in Carrollton august 2020 (dealer order that I slid into end of May 2020). I texted sales guy this weekend (good dude, no bs…. He said they are charging 4K for EX over sticker, 5K for SX. Here is what he said he has in the pipeline (as of Friday when I texted him)…

Thank you for keeping me in mind.

I have en route(may show today or tomorrow)

EX Premium Ebony Black with Gray interior.

Coming around the start of next month:

EX Premium Black Copper with Black interior.

SX Sangria with Black interior
SX Sangria with Gray Interior

Coming towards mid to late next month.

SX Black Copper with Gray Interior
SX Gravity Gray with Black Interior

Streetfighter 02
AG
The VIN #s get automatically populated onto the dealer websites so anything you see on there is someone's custom order from 3-9 months ago coming into the dealer.
Streetfighter 02
AG
It looks like my Telluride popped up in failcat today. That puts the dealer expected delivery date in range. Hopefully sooner.
Streetfighter 02
AG
According to the dealer my vehicle is on a transport. That means we won't hit the projected delivery of July 1, 2022 (tomorrow) but it should be in next week.
Streetfighter 02
AG
It arrived yesterday.... New car today.
InvisibleSwordsman
I reached out today to Huffines Kia in Corinth to inquire about when the 2023 order bank will open up. Just wanted to share the response for anyone interested. The salesman might have been a little dramatic in expected turn time as he was pushing a couple Sorrentos they have on the lot right now, so take this with a grain of salt. Here is his response:

"As of right now it is roughly a 2 year wait for a New Telluride…You are on my waitlist as of now, I can assure if they do open orders up at some point it will be likely a 2025 model you end up getting. People who ordered 2021 will be getting 2022 or 2023. 2023s will be 2024 and so on. Right now with the wait being 2 years. The 2 years is the wait time from date of order, which we are hoping we will be able to start taking orders again in the next year."
Streetfighter 02
AG
Rule 1:

txag2008
AG
Ordered one on 1/21/22 from Huffines in McKinney.

Talked with the salesman last week and this was his reply, "So far there have not been any changes to the status of your order and are waiting for the factory to schedule your Telluride order to go through the build process. Right now I am almost sure that your Telluride is going to be a 2023 Telluride. These vehicles are scheduled to be released in September. It is honestly hard to tell how that will affect the timing because part of the transition process is us reordering our back log of Telluride orders once the portal opens up for us to do so. I believe this will happen toward the end of July to the beginning of August." He said their dealership alone has 140 on order right now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.