Which Brake Upgrade Set?

534 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JSKolache
steve84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have always just purchased pads and shoes and had the rotors and drums machined previously, but I am seeing the brake "Upgrade" kits advertised and wondered if any of you have experience with the different brands.This time around, I am wanting to replace rotors and drums. I don't want to make a decision based on the marketing and brand reviews. I would prefer to trust my fellow Aggies experience. Power Stop is the brand that seems to be hitting my computer the most. Don't know a thing about them, z-36 is the only particular one I have looked at in that brand.

Vehicle is a 2008 Silverado half-ton with disc fronts, drum rears.

Or is it better to just go to the parts store and buy the components there? We have O'Reilly, Auto Zone, ABC AutoParts, and Carquest locally. Any brands you have had luck with?

Thank You.
Silvy
AG
I think Powerstop is mostly overpriced for what you get. I typically go with Raybestos or similar for coated rotors. Depending on how you use truck determines what pads you should run. Ceramic if it's more of a passenger vehicle and semi-metallic if you're moving weight or doing hoodrat *****

Wagner Thermoquiet is a board favorite if you want a ceramic pad.

If you're not already using Rockauto, I suggest you give it a look.
steve84
AG
Thank you. Just the advice I needed. I am still used to the last century where you went to the parts store, gave them the make and model, and you took whatever parts they gave you. Rock Auto is amazing. Almost too many choices. I will use your information and try to sort out which looks best.

Thanks again.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
I've been through the "upgrade phase" a few times in the past 30 years with trucks. Half ton to 1 ton. I've bought name brand, house brand, high end…they all stop the same. Some are dirtier than others but they all work exactly the same. Stick with middle of the road Wagners or a nicer "house brand" if you want to save a little money.

Generally rock auto is good but sometimes cannot beat package deals from advance auto with a 20-30% coupon.
steve84
AG
Thank you. I think I will try that. I am sure I will be going back to Rock Auto to check other parts in the future. Thanks to both of you for the help.
JSKolache
AG
Installed z36 Powerstop full kit on Sequoia last weekend. I like it so far, I'm stopping sooner & feels more controlled than the wornout OEM setup. Haven't had this vehicle very long, so not sure what original fresh OEM setup was like.

I did it myself cuz my shop quoted $1k for basically OEM replacement setup. No thanks. Bought Powerstop kit on Amazon and it delivered next day. Spent appx 6 hrs on brakes Sunday - about died ha!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.