Interpreting CarFax damage report

2,835 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
bone.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
i'm looking at a 2011 Sequoia Platinum with 125k miles with the intent of driving it into the ground (hopefully over the course of 10+ years). the vehicle is in good shape and the price is right, i'm guessing because of an accident on the Carfax report (screenshot below).

does anyone have any thoughts on potential impact of this to the long-term drivability? the one thing that stuck out was "damage to undercarriage" where i thought that would include frame damage, but i'm also guessing that frame damage would increase the "severity" level to moderate of above.

thanks in advance!

JB
AG
Tough call

Could be a light accident that caught the front tire and bent the control arms, which would replaceable as long as it didn't bend the frame.

When was the accident? Have there been multiple owners since then?

Could have been a deer hit? Which might have taken out some plastic/skids etc underneath?

A good PPI would be a good idea
Mookie
AG
Moderate and undercarriage are the key. Could have frame damage based on the undercarriage report. It better be cheap. But hey at least the airbags didn't blow.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Have it independently inspected.

My buddy's Sierra HD denali had 28K in damage and carfax
Listed it as "minor damage".
aggiepaintrain
AG
I'd pay $3-5k more for a perfect carfax

what's the price ?

get a reputable Body Shop to inspect the frame and bodywork and get a Toyota dealer to do a PPI..
FJB
aggieforester05
AG
I had my wife's Flex almost totaled ($16K) including a bent unibody and carfax said very minor damage.
Picard
AG
Real McCoy - Run Away.mp3
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Picard said:

Real McCoy - Run Away.mp3

DeWrecking Crew
Airbags not deploying are in your favor, I'd guess a deer
mrm5932
AG
This. My last truck was in an accident with damage down the whole driver side and had nearly $20K in damage. Listed in carfax as minor damage to front quarter
bone.
AG
wow, from your story and the numerous others here, it sounds like i'll be targeting vehicles with no accidents. i can't believe the disparity!

for those who asked, asking was $19.5k. turns out they sold it already so they made the decision even easier for me. thanks all for the feedback!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
BoneAg said:

wow, from your story and the numerous others here, it sounds like i'll be targeting vehicles with no accidents. i can't believe the disparity!

for those who asked, asking was $19.5k. turns out they sold it already so they made the decision even easier for me. thanks all for the feedback!
Regardless its still important to have it inspected or bring someone with you that knows cars.

Buddys FIL in California bought a Tahoe two weeks ago (against my advice), and took it in for tire balance and rotation and Discount found all 4 factory 22" wheels were bent.

Shady FB Marketplace dealer told him to "prove it was like that" before he bought the car.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.