Modified from History Thread....

3,784 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bob_Ag
Jaydoug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you could go back in time and buy one vehicle right off the lot, what would it be?

Me: 1964 Pontiac Tempest LeMans convertible with the new GTO option, tri-powered 389, in Skyline Blue. Thank you, Mr DeLorean.
Goose
AG
'63 Corvette Z06
PMD03
AG
With the money I have now or the money I had then?

With the money I have now, it would be a Nissan Hardbody Desert Runner.

If we are basing the selection off of the money I had then, and just didn't act... no regerts. I could not afford any of the cars I liked. Closest would be the Pontiac G8 GXP. Wanted one badly in 2009, but couldn't stomach $40,000 on a car. Bought a used 2005 Corvette instead. Just 12 years later with inflation of the dollar and car MSRP, that $40,000 seems like a steal.
555-PINF
'69 Yenko Camaro
Dill-Ag13
AG
Manual CTS-V Wagon, things have gone up in value. Basically get paid to drive.
Corps_Ag12
AG
1969 Z/28 Camaro
agnerd
AG
AgBQ-00
AG
lb3
AG
Any late 50s or early 60s Ferrari but a Duesenberg might be just as nice of an investment.
Complete Idiot
Jaydoug said:

If you could go back in time and buy one vehicle right off the lot, what would it be?

Me: 1964 Pontiac Tempest LeMans convertible with the new GTO option, tri-powered 389, in Skyline Blue. Thank you, Mr DeLorean.
1964 GTO was my favorite car for a long time. I live in Texas but when I was in my 20's I found a maroon convertible, manual, tri powered GTO at a Florida classic car dealership - it was around $18K (this was 20 years ago). I flew a Southwest flight out to Tampa, took it for a test drive, then flew back the next day.

There was some mild daydreaming about buying it and driving it back as my own, but mainly I just wanted to say I drove one and got to experience it.
Complete Idiot
High School me would have killed to buy a 25th Anniversary Lamborghini Countach from the factory.

aggieforester05
AG
If we eliminate vehicles based primarily on fiscal value for resale and concentrate on childhood dream cars or vehicles that we just really want to own (might need to exclude maintenance costs as well) it might make this fantastical thread more fun.

For me, I've always had a thing for the Lamborghini Diablo. The looks and sound and the fact that the predecessor was the countach, just always made it the ultimate supercar to me when I was growing up. Never been in one (except a replica, me in it last pic), but I did get to drive a couple of Gallardos and I got a 180mph ride in a Murcielago LP640 with tubi exhaust, which was absolutely incredible.

tk for tu juan

or

TXAG9
AG
Well Goose. You're in luck:

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1963/chevrolet/corvette/101341882

Not my car but never heard of a 1963 Z06
aggieforester05
AG
Well for that price, he might as well get two.
gggmann
AG
1971-73 Lamborghini Miura P400SV - last evolution of the first supercar.

Worth >$2.5mil now

aggieforester05
AG
Hard to beat the lines of the Miura, just a gorgeous car!

lotsofhp
AG
gggmann said:

1971-73 Lamborghini Miura P400SV - last evolution of the first supercar.

Worth >$2.5mil now

Beautiful
BenTheGoodAg
AG

New price: $18,000
Today price: $50M
aggieforester05
AG
Ferrari F50 GT would be another - 750 hp V12 with a 10,500 rpm redline and it weighed just under 1,900 lbs. Rocket ship!

lotsofhp
AG
I feel pretty basic after some of these responses but I'll submit '57 chevy:

barney94
AG
'66 Vette 427, ragtop
aggieforester05
AG
lotsofhp said:

I feel pretty basic after some of these responses but I'll submit '57 chevy:

Nothing wrong with that. Probably the most iconic of fifties coupes and a damn beautiful car!
SA-AG72
AG
wtanner
AG
1965 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
IntensivePurposes
AG
Money not being considered, I second the manual CTS-V wagon.

But honestly, I did (still do) love the golden era of Ford SVT vehicles. 2004 Terminator and Lightning. I day-dreamed about those in high school.
scd88
AG
Back in the early '90's as a working adult, I had the opportunity to buy a car like this for under $2000. It needed work but it was manageable. I regret not buying it....

Back when these cars were made, Riveria's were muscle cars and not the old man/lady vehicles they turned into in the 80's. Original body style, too. Great looking on the inside, too.

Alte Schule
Buck Turgidson
I'm too lazy to search the thread for rules, so:

- If it has to be a car during my lifetime, I'd probably get something like a Plum Crazy Challenger or a GTO Judge.

- If I could travel back earlier than my birth date, it would likely be a 1958ish Chrysler/Dodge "forward look" car, like a Plymouth Fury or a DeSoto or even a Dodge.

Tim Weaver
I'd buy as many retired Lemans cars as I could! lol. Once those race cars got retired and sold for pennies. Today they are worth millions if they have provenance.

Other than that I am torn between a 67 Shelby GT500 or the 66 or 67 Ford 7 Litre Galaxie with a 4 speed.

I am partial to the 67 Galaxie body style, but that 7 Litre package is a beast.
aggieforester05
AG

This would also be a great choice!
aggieforester05
AG
I'd also give my left nut for a mid 2000s GT

SnowboardAg
AG
aggieforester05
AG
There was one on the Facebook group "under appreciated survivors" this week that was cleaner than if it had just come off the assembly line.
insanediego
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.