OBD Scanner for Home Use

1,054 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fooz
crockerdan04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As my cars are getting up there in miles and age, I anticipate more things starting to go wrong on them. I had a recent issue with the brakes on one of them, but without taking it to a mechanic, couldn't do any diagnostics or activate the ABS with just a basic one. Had to resort to back road driving and slamming on the brakes to activate.

I'm willing to spend $300-400 for a decent scanner, but am looking for one with some functionality; not one just to read a CEL. I know that with that price range, it's not going to do everything, but I do want to be able to try some diagnostics and not just throw parts at the problem. Some seem to include access to factory type, step-by-step repair databases and others don't.

Any recommendations for decent scanners with good support in that price range?
akaggie05
AG
Need type(s) of vehicle to make a better recommendation. A lot of the more detailed stuff is vendor specific. For example, if you have a VW/Audi you will want VCDS. BMW will leave you looking for ISTA/INPA, etc etc.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'd bet that a cheap scanner with the Torque App would do 99% of what you want.
Dill-Ag13
AG
nvm
txyaloo
AG
akaggie05 said:

Need type(s) of vehicle to make a better recommendation. A lot of the more detailed stuff is vendor specific. For example, if you have a VW/Audi you will want VCDS. BMW will leave you looking for ISTA/INPA, etc etc.
This. OP - depending on the types of vehicles, you may be able to get clones of the factory scan tools pretty inexpensively. I think I have ~$350 all in for clones of GM Tech2, Ford IDS, and BMW's tools. I run them on a dedicated laptop. They generally work well, but are "hacked" versions of the factory tools and do require some fiddling to make work. Most of my cars are older so this solution works. The "hacked" tools generally don't work with the newest models since you're using old versions of the software that can be compromised.

If you want something to do more in depth diagnostics, you're going to need to up your budget. Any of the aftermarket tools that do bi-directional controls generally start in the $800 range.

On top of a scan tool, it's super helpful to have access to AllData, Mitchell, or similar. You can pretty easily find downloads of AllData online. It goes up to 2013 vehicles and has most of the factory service info, wiring diagrams, test procedures, etc. If your vehicles are newer than 2013, you can buy a subscription per vehicle for ~$40 for 5 years.
crockerdan04
AG
Right now we have a 2012 Equinox and a 2013 Ram 1500.

I haven't heard of cloning the factory items. Where do you get the downloads?

crockerdan04
AG
I've heard a lot about Torque, but I read on one forum that a guy compared the codes thrown with the Torque app and an Autel 629 scanner in this price range and the Torque only read 1 of 4 codes that the Autel showed.

Maybe a combination of both would do well?
CanyonAg77
AG
crockerdan04 said:

I've heard a lot about Torque, but I read on one forum that a guy compared the codes thrown with the Torque app and an Autel 629 scanner in this price range and the Torque only read 1 of 4 codes that the Autel showed.

Maybe a combination of both would do well?
I think if you have the cash, get the best you can.

I guess it's possible I've had codes the Torque couldn't find, but I've had great luck so far.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Harbor freight is clearing out their line of scanners that start in the $xx and go into the mid $xxx range. I don't recall the brand off hand, but you can buy a subscription (first year free, I think) and get updates. I'd be interested in knowing if those are worthwhile.
txyaloo
AG
crockerdan04 said:

Right now we have a 2012 Equinox and a 2013 Ram 1500.

I haven't heard of cloning the factory items. Where do you get the downloads?

I can't help with the Ram. GM changed from the Tech2 to the MDI/GDS in ~2010. You can get them on ebay or Aliexpress. They usually come with a link to the software download.

https://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/wifi-gm-mdi-2-diagnostic-tool-sp163-e.html

I know some of the Chinese scan tools like Autel and Launch have issues with Chrysler vehicles otherwise I'd go that route.

The Harbor Freight scanners are pretty garbage when compared to Autels that are similar in price
fooz
CanyonAg77 said:

I'd bet that a cheap scanner with the Torque App would do 99% of what you want.

This is what I used with a cheap bluetooth reader off amazon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.