Car dead again 2 weeks after replacing battery

2,606 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aTm2004
jakester03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2008 Acura MDX w/ 145k miles.

Had a 2 year old battery, so I replaced it under warranty and it started fine after that for about 2 weeks.

Wife tells me today that it's dead again. She says no dome lights left on, etc.

Could it be an alternator? Looking for ideas. Thanks!
schmendeler
AG
alternator would be my guess or else some sort of parasitic current draw? did you recently install some new electronic device?
jakester03
AG
schmendeler said:

alternator would be my guess or else some sort of parasitic current draw? did you recently install some new electronic device?

Negative
chimpanzee
Alternator is a good guess, maybe a bad connection. I don't think I had a car with good battery cables until I was in my mid 20's, I got to be pretty proficient at getting them to work again, poorly.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Check the connections. Maybe a half ass connection lasted 2 weeks before it worked itself loose. If not, alternator is probably next on the list. Most new cars will rev real high when the alternator is dying, trying to compensate for the lack of charge. Maybe she noticed this. Probably worth an ask.
will.mcg
AG
get it started & put your multimeter on the alternator to see the voltage output.
jakester03
AG
Checked at the battery and it's barely above 13 with the car running so I'm pretty sure it's the alternator
jakester03
AG
Any brand/store y'all recommend for alternators?
ByrdEWhiteTrash
AG

Lifted from the net:
Denso is the OE manufacturer for Honda / Acura alternators and other parts, such as the AC compressor. Denso makes high quality parts. If you get the Acura replacement parts they come in an Acura box, but they are still Denso parts. This reman alternator gas been working well for me for a few months now. Quality replacement part for way less than you would pay at the Acura dealership.

Rock auto $110 before 5% discount (this price assumes you are sending them the core
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Denso is a good pick.

Also Ultima from Oreilly has been a good brand for
Me.

Might as well do the belt at the same time too.
JamesPShelley
Have you considered just taking it to an auto parts store... Autozone... OReilly... whatever... and have them test it for you? For free...

BlueSmoke
Had a similar situation on my truck I just replaced. Slow to crank. Replaced battery. Dead in the AM. Place I bought battery replaced with new battery. Carried on, but over time that first crank was worse and worse. Had to be something drawing power off that battery. A light or source somewhere.

With other issues as well, I figured it was time to spit the bit and get a new vehicle. Good luck. It's frustrating for sure.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
kb2001
AG
If you jump start the car, does it stay running or die shortly after disconnecting the jumper cables? If it stays running for a while it's likely not the alternator. You can also just take it to a parts store and they'll test it for you.

It's also possible you have a bad component that is drawing current while the car is off. This is a bit more difficult to test for, but it's still something you can do on your own. Check for current draw through the negative battery terminal while the car is off. It should be just a few mA, less than 10. If it's in the hundreds you have something drawing power.
Flaith
AG
In addition to checking/swapping the alternator, also check your cables to make sure there's no loose connections or corrosion on the terminal clamps.

These are great little tools if your battery has a tendency to corrode during use (my Jeep is horrible about this)

agracer
AG
A loose battery connection will cause starting problems.
La Fours
AG
Probably the alternator, but another issue might be that the ECM has stopped working correctly and isn't triggering the alternator to recharge the battery.

Had that happen to me once. Alternator tested bad, so bought a new one and installed it. Truck ran fine for a couple of hours, then died and wouldn't start. Went back and tested the new alternator and it tested bad as well. Swapped it out for another one. Same thing. At that point I took it to a mechanic. The mechanic found that the ECM was bad.
jakester03
AG
Thanks ya'll. I'll head down to the parts store shortly and have them test the alternator.
Complete Idiot
jakester03 said:

2008 Acura MDX w/ 145k miles.

Had a 2 year old battery, so I replaced it under warranty and it started fine after that for about 2 weeks.

Wife tells me today that it's dead again. She says no dome lights left on, etc.

Could it be an alternator? Looking for ideas. Thanks!
Years ago we had a 2008 Honda Odyssey where the battery would go dead. Battery was good/newish so didn't make sense. Jumped it once or twice and charged over night but came back. When in the garage for a while, doing something quietly, I realized I could hear a click sounds every once in a while - vehicle was off, hadn't been driven in hours, but a click kept being heard. Turned out it was an A/C relay gone bad and it was draining the battery. Since Honda's and Acura's may share many parts - could be impacting you as well.
jakester03
AG
Confirmed alternator. Thanks y'all!
jakester03
AG
WELP. Went out of town for the weekend and the damn thing is dead again! ARGH
Complete Idiot
jakester03 said:

Try unplugging the Hands Free Link unit https://www.mdxers.org/threads/battery-keeps-dying-2008-mdx-with-brand-new-battery.55801/
Complete Idiot
Someone in this thread recommends checking the A/C Relay, which is something i had mentioned in a post above. You should be able to hear some occasional clicking from the engine bay even with the vehicle off, but I recall having to wait a long time to hear it so it's a bit annoying to sit there waiting for a potential click sound.
jakester03
AG
Complete Idiot said:

jakester03 said:

Try unplugging the Hands Free Link unit https://www.mdxers.org/threads/battery-keeps-dying-2008-mdx-with-brand-new-battery.55801/
Done. Fingers crossed that works! Thank you!
Complete Idiot
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/2008-parasitic-drain-already-disconnected-hfl-still-dying-within-day-886701/

Forgot to add the link in my last reply
aTm2004
AG
JamesPShelley said:

Have you considered just taking it to an auto parts store... Autozone... OReilly... whatever... and have them test it for you? For free...

This. I replaced a battery and had it go bad a few weeks after. Had it tested and they replaced it under warranty.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.