Front Windshield Tint

2,938 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wargograw
mt3950
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of you that added tint to your windshield...is it noticeably darker while driving at night? Would you do it again if you could start over?
lb3
AG
I've done it on two vehicles and have no problem driving at night. But I assume it depends on how dark you go.
HockeyAg07
AG
I've got clear 80% on one of our cars. Can't really tell it's on there, but it is tougher to keep clean. With the sun in certain in spots, it turns almost hazy looking. No issues at night.

On the truck I've got a 5% brow and nothing on the rest of the windshield. That's what I'll keep doing on future cars.
Silvy
AG
Have 70% of windshield of the hot hatch. Will likely go 60% on it after replacing the windshield.

Tinting ALL glass with ceramic is the way to go for a DD.
aggieforester05
AG
I have 50% Ceramic on my windshield. I did it with the expectation that I would have two years before inspection because my truck was new. Later found out that since my truck came from an Arkansas dealership and I only get one year (Yes this is really stupid).

That being said I went to the best tint shop in my area and it was a choice between 70% which he said was clear and 50%. I went with the 50% and I like it but I don't think it will pass inspection. It's very noticeable!

As far as night driving, it's a little harder to see on dark roads at night, but not enough to be dangerous. It's mainly turning in dark parking lots or driveways at night where it's difficult to see things that the headlights are not shining on.

I need to get my wife's car done and I'll probably do 70% on that one.
Silvy
AG
You're one of the AB posters I'd expect to know of a laid back inspection spot.
aggieforester05
AG
silverado_lover said:

Unfortunately I don't, but my brother claims to, so I'll definitely try that first. I work in construction and I'm in and out of my truck all day so I'm trying to maximize the heat rejection.
AgEng06
AG
mt3950 said:

For those of you that added tint to your windshield...is it noticeably darker while driving at night? Would you do it again if you could start over?
No
Yes
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
mt3950 said:

No.

Yes.

70% Ceramic on the windshield of everything.
jefe95
AG
Nope

Yep

50% ceramic
mt3950
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

mt3950 said:

No.

Yes.

Did you do your full vehicle with ceramic, or just the windshield?
lb3
AG
silverado_lover said:

I know of said place but I'll never tell.
AgEng06
AG
mt3950 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

mt3950 said:

No.

Yes.

Did you do your full vehicle with ceramic, or just the windshield?

Not 1ags, but I did ceramic on the whole vehicle (windows, windshield, and sunroof). 2018 GMC 2500HD CC.
mt3950
AG
Noticeable difference in heat transmission? I think I'm leaning toward doing this also...
AgEng06
AG
I got the truck new in July 2018 and had the tint done within a month, but I could tell a noticeable difference in that time.
FamousAgg
silverado_lover said:

Last time my truck was inspected they literally looked at the vin and the mileage and gave me my paperwork. I sat in the driver seat the entire time didn't move the vehicle at all. It's a 9+ year old Ram, a death trap according to the internets
aggieforester05
AG
Not here, I've failed many times in late model vehicles for little bs. Once on my motorcycle because the muffler didn't look like a muffler. The oil change places are worse than the dedicated inspection spots. We don't have emissions testing though.
reddog90
AG
80% Llumar IRX (ceramic) on my windshield.

Looks clear during the day, it is legal, only noticeable at night when in parking lots lit with very cool lighting. Huge improvement on keeping heat down in the vehicle.
tailgatetimer10
AG
I'm at 80% as well.

Side note, what are you windsheild tinters doing about dash cams? For my registration and toll stickers i use Zebra Static Cling for stickers. I am not so sure that would hold up a dash cam though.
El_Guero512
Ceramic all in my F150 supercrew. Air 80 windshield, driver and pass 20% and back three windows 5%. Made a huge difference in blocking the heat.
Foamcows
AG
have my SUV done, and the only complaint i have is that the thickness of the material (nearly 2 mil) combined with the angle of my windshield has made the view a bit soft when looking ahead. Its only noticeable when you turn your head and look out the side window and notice how much more in focus things are.

So if you do this, be sure to check the thickness of the film (my windshield is massive and the only way they could do it in one piece was a thicker film) and note if your windshield is at an angle (when its at an angle you are viewing through the film more) it might result in a slightly softer view.
wargograw
I tint windshields every day. Mine and my wife's vehicles both have 70 from Xpel and we have no issues at night. Definitely recommend. Ceramic tint without the windshield done is definitely incomplete IMO.
DeWrecking Crew
I'll tell you a secret...there is a form you can use to get the inspection sticker without getting it physically inspected. This requires the vehicle to be out of state (wink wink) when the inspection is due.
hadynphil
ChiTownsFinest84 said:

Ceramic all in my F150 supercrew. Air 80 windshield, driver and pass 20% and back three windows 5%. Made a huge difference in blocking the heat.

I am thinking about ceramic too, never tried it but heard so many good things about it. Will definitely do it soon! My friend recommends that I do ceramic coating asap, and I think he is right. He's done that for all his cars
TxAg20
AG
Foamcows said:

So if you do this, be sure to check the thickness of the film (my windshield is massive and the only way they could do it in one piece was a thicker film) and note if your windshield is at an angle (when its at an angle you are viewing through the film more) it might result in a slightly softer view.

I'm picturing a Chrysler LHS or Toyota Previa. What are you rocking?
BeastmodeAg
AG
Got 30% on my shield
Roger350
AG
Quote:

Side note, what are you windsheild tinters doing about dash cams? For my registration and toll stickers i use Zebra Static Cling for stickers. I am not so sure that would hold up a dash cam though.
Never thought about windshield tint affecting dash cam or radar detector mounting. Is it not recommended that you use suction cup mounts for such devices over tint film? This could be a deal breaker for me on the radar detector front, I guess blend mounts from the mirror are an option, but they are not always the best choice and can block some driver vision depending on how tall the mirror is, how tall the driver is, and how high up the vehicle sits.
wargograw
I don't think that the suction from those things would affect the film as long as you give it ample time to cure before you put them on. Bare minimum 5 days. 2-3 weeks would be preferable though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.