Rivian R1S

10,800 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by tk for tu juan
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone at work has one of these. They look much better than the truck version IMO.

What did you end up paying with TTL? Mid $70s?
I bleed maroon
AG
All in, $84k, including wall charger. I think current prices would be right around $100k, all in. I think they're selling around that in the after-market, but that will likely decrease over time. They're listed at $105-120k+ on eBay right now.
htxag09
AG
If you're all in at $84k wouldn't you not be eligible for the tax credit? Or are the add-ons, like the charger, more than $4k?

Edit: nm, just saw that includes TTL

I guess I also just never thought of these as being eligible for the tax credit based on income limits.....
agracer
AG
htxag09 said:

If you're all in at $84k wouldn't you not be eligible for the tax credit? Or are the add-ons, like the charger, more than $4k?

Edit: nm, just saw that includes TTL

I guess I also just never thought of these as being eligible for the tax credit based on income limits.....
Income limits don't exist anymore for vehicle purchases, at least for low income.

As long as you make $300 a week you can get a loan for anything these days

bam02
AG
I agree the SUV looks better than the truck, but I have to admit the truck is starting to look better to me every time I see one.
htxag09
AG
bam02 said:

I agree the SUV looks better than the truck, but I have to admit the truck is starting to look better to me every time I see one.

I think rivian did excellent with both. May be my favorite looking suv on the road. I'm just not ready to drop $80+k on a brand new manufacturers suv.
I bleed maroon
AG
FInally picking up my Rivian R1S today. Pre-pickup updates:

- The original estimated delivery date was 5/20, and they blamed slow freight traffic for the additional delay.
- They shipped the home charger a couple months ago, and I took the risk and installed it early (several weeks ago). It looks nice - we'll see how it charges.
- When arranging online payment, I thought I was signing up for an ACH method to be used at delivery, and actually, they immediately transacted the purchase price, so be prepared for quick service on that aspect.
- Their trade-in value offer was significantly (10%+) lower than other alternatives, so even with the potential sales tax savings, it made more sense to sell the trade-in myself. Incidentally, my CarMax offer was superior to the 3-4 others I tried. And the CarMax offer went down about 4% from their initial offer I got over a month ago. I guess used car prices are on the retreat, after all.

I'll report back in a week or so (if I remember) to describe my first impressions of Rivian ownership.
Medaggie
SUV looks really good. I have an order for the Cyber.

If they had it come with NACS, I would probably get one.
tk for tu juan
Rivian going NACS in 2025, access to Supercharger network in 2024

https://rivian.com/newsroom/article/rivian-accelerates-electrification-through-adoption-of-north-american-charging-standard-and-access-to-teslas-supercharger-network
htxag09
AG
Not R1S, it's the truck. But interesting nonetheless, I thought they still had a waiting list.

WSJ: Rivian Tries Selling Trucks Out of Its Factory Parking Lot EV startup experiments with in-person shopping event at its plant in Normal, Ill., as stock levels build
I bleed maroon
AG
Almost two weeks into the ownership experience. All in all, about what I expected. Observations:

- Delivery and purchase was pretty seamless. The tech noted a minor paint flaw (we later noticed a few more) and showed us how to initiate a service ticket (on the app, of course). As expected, the appointment isn't till August, as it's not a functional need.
- The Rivian "Guide" has been helpful by email and phone call appointment in getting us over several usage questions.
- Took the R1S on a 200 mile round trip, and it performs just fine as a road vehicle. Given the high temperatures, I expected the range to drain more quickly than it actually has. A full charge indicates 347 miles, but I haven't tested it. Official range is 314 miles, I think.
- Fast (Medium) Charging at home indicates a recharge rate of 21 miles per hour, right in the middle of the 15-25 expected. Haven't yet used public level 3 fast-charging, but the Tesla adapter will be reassuring, once it comes out.
- The two hardest things to get used to are 1) the lack of a power button - it's unnerving to walk away and not see it lock itself (which it does once you get out of phone bluetooth range), and 2) the regenerative braking - even at low setting, it brings you to a stop by itself. You can literally go an hour only hitting the brake pedal a couple of times.
- The AC system and huge fixed sunroofs were a big concern initially, but it hasn't really been a problem so far, even in the 106 degree heat. My other vehicle has been struggling just as much to reach a reasonable temperature.
- It looks good, and drives well. I still haven't tested the 0-60 time of 3.2 seconds, but it has plenty of power for everything I need.

Overall, this customer is satisfied.
milkman00
AG
Saw one of these the other day dropping off my kid at school. The lady driver said she needed a fast SUV instead of her Ram TRX she traded in.

It looked nice and she loved it.
Complete Idiot
Saw this rare sight on road

Complete Idiot
I bleed maroon said:

- It looks good, and drives well. I still haven't tested the 0-60 time of 3.2 seconds
Chasing Trail
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I bleed maroon said:

- It looks good, and drives well. I still haven't tested the 0-60 time of 3.2 seconds

Find a flat straight, quiet road. Put it Sport (lowest suspension setting). Step on brake + Accelerator. Let go of brake. It will give you all 830hp if it has traction to do so. I rarely do it in my truck, but it will make you giggle every time.
Complete Idiot
Chasing Trail said:

Complete Idiot said:

I bleed maroon said:

Find a flat straight, quiet road. Put it Sport (lowest suspension setting). Step on brake + Accelerator. Let go of brake. It will give you all 830hp if it has traction to do so. I rarely do it in my truck, but it will make you giggle every time.
Yes, and I would do it first thing when picking up a Rivian - I was marveling at I bleed maroon's patience. I'm assuming EV's don't have a "break in" number of miles like a ICE vehicle, but probably wise to test out everything before putting it through that power application.
I bleed maroon
AG
I did specifically ask about a break-in period, and they said that none is required.

So far, I have only driven the dang thing a couple times (once was today for lunch). The other was the 200 mile roadtrip with a load of passengers.

BUT, thanks for the refresher on the fast launch procedure - I will definitely check this out at some point. That is, once I find a suitable road in Austin - too many messy lakes, hills and rivers, here. I miss Houston.

I think the wife is down to one ongoing concern - ingress is too high (especially when wearing a dress). She wants me to put running boards on it - I'm saying no way, and it's working, so far.
Complete Idiot
I bleed maroon said:

I did specifically ask about a break-in period, and they said that none is required.

So far, I have only driven the dang thing a couple times (once was today for lunch). The other was the 200 mile roadtrip with a load of passengers.

BUT, thanks for the refresher on the fast launch procedure - I will definitely check this out at some point. That is, once I find a suitable road in Austin - too many messy lakes, hills and rivers, here. I miss Houston.

I think the wife is down to one ongoing concern - ingress is too high (especially when wearing a dress). She wants me to put running boards on it - I'm saying no way, and it's working, so far.
Enjoy - they look great and seem like awesome machines.
beatlesphan
AG
I bleed maroon- can you comment more on the sunroof? I just imagine my kids getting in a hot car then have the sun still beating down on them while waiting for this thing to cool off. How much is the sun dimmed with the tinting?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
I bleed maroon
AG
Sure. Given first impressions from the test drives, we thought that would be our main frustration, and possibly a primary reason to sell it instead of keep it. I checked into window tint before purchasing, and even bought a makeshift sun shade (made for an RV front window, but happens to cover 95%+ of the sunroof), and was prepared to be very disappointed. Well . . .

Even in 106 degree weather, we haven't really noticed it at all. They have done one or two over-the-air upgrades to the air conditioning system, and it has really performed well - better than my '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L. The sun glare hasn't bothered rear-seat passengers, even in mid-day.

So, I can't explain why it has outperformed expectations, but it hasn't been noticable at all. Haven't even opened the sun shade package. Much worry over nothing, as it turns out.
Sazerac
AG
Ceramic tint - if it doesn't have it - will make it a non issue.
Aggietaco
AG
Only posting here because I couldn't find a R1T thread - saw something this morning that I never expected which was an R1T hauling an enclosed double horse bumper pull trailer, with at least 1 horse riding along. Tried to snap a picture of the R1T doing truck stuff, but managed to take a photo of my dash instead.
beatlesphan
AG
That's cool! Count me in on the band wagon, I've put the deposit down to reserve an R1S. I don't really need one for 2 years or so, we'll see how quick the turnaround is.

Also will be considering the Volvo EX-90 when it comes out.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tk for tu juan
2 min mark

cav14
Rivian just unveiled their R2, R3, and R3X. They are suppose to be cheaper and smaller than the R1T and R1S, but with just as much performance and range. Also they now use the Tesla charging connector (NACS) instead of CCS.

Furlock Bones
AG
https://www.instagram.com/p/C4OyeC9Pw5d/?igsh=MTBhcTczY3pkajU1MA==
drmwvr
AG
Here is the pic in the link. I kind of dig it
Corps_Ag12
AG
R2 looks like a bronco sport
Flaith
AG
R3X is giving me Delta Integrale vibes. I want one

555-PINF
The R2 is the first EV I'd ever seriously consider. Love the styling.
tk for tu juan
Flaith said:

R3X is giving me Delta Integrale vibes. I want one

That's what I thought too during the reveal, but with the ride height of an AMC Eagle.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.