F150 engine icon flashing when making a pass

1,329 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was going about 55-60 mph and needed to make a pass. I pushed down and didn't feel the typical ecoboooooost acceleration. The truck still sped up and I made the pass but the engine icon blinked for about 20 seconds.

Haven't seen it again but curious if this is reason for concern.

100k warranty and I'm at 93k. Never had any engine issues with her. 2014 XLT 3.5 boooooost
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
That's an engine misfire. I'm dealing with the same thing. Get it in ASAP while you still have warranty left
falcon09
AG
You likely need new plugs and to drill the hole in the charge air cooler so moisture can drain.

Was it a humid day when this happened?
jakester03
AG
Start with new plugs and boots. Super easy.
14TheRoad
AG
yeah but is it a white booooost?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Just had this on my 2006. Code was "Cylinder 4 misfire".
NWE
AG
Will it throw the code only if the engine light is on? Or if I plug it up will it potentially throw this code without any dash lights showing?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Not sure. I've had the intermittent flash of the warning light during freeway passing before, but had not had the code pulled until today when the light stayed on.
DeWrecking Crew
falcon09 said:

You likely need new plugs and to drill the hole in the charge air cooler so moisture can drain.

This
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
falcon09 said:

X2
Roger350
AG
Is drilling the hole in the charge air cooler something that is specific to earlier Ecoboost F150s, or do 2020 models still need this modification? Thanks.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Roger350 said:

Is drilling the hole in the charge air cooler something that is specific to earlier Ecoboost F150s, or do 2020 models still need this modification? Thanks.

15 up trucks generally don't need it.
jakester03
AG
I was gonna drill the hole but decided to try just plugs and boots first. Didn't end up needing to do the drilling.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Is the drilling specific for eco boosts?
DeWrecking Crew
No, it's common, especially in European
fooz
When my 2011 did that I replaced the boots and plugs (.030 gap) and drilled a 1/16 weep hole in the lowest part of the intercooler. It ran like a champ after that and never had the issue again.
fooz
jakester03 said:

I was gonna drill the hole but decided to try just plugs and boots first. Didn't end up needing to do the drilling.
The weep hole made a huge difference when I did it. That was on a 2011, after I replaced boots and plugs. You should have seen all the nasty that came out.
Roger350
AG
So a properly designed and plumbed catch can system should keep all that crap out of the intercooler and piping. So this weep whole is about evacuating the oil and gasoline blow by vapors that condense and coat the whole intercooler system? I haven' researched this weep whole at all, but from what I've read on here previously I'd always thought it was something to due with humid conditions and intercooler inefficiency, but I could never make sense of how drilling a hole in the system wasn't reducing the boost like a leaking coupler would and reducing power and torque along with it?
vansprinkle
AG
Roger350 said:

So a properly designed and plumbed catch can system should keep all that crap out of the intercooler and piping. So this weep whole is about evacuating the oil and gasoline blow by vapors that condense and coat the whole intercooler system? I haven' researched this weep whole at all, but from what I've read on here previously I'd always thought it was something to due with humid conditions and intercooler inefficiency, but I could never make sense of how drilling a hole in the system wasn't reducing the boost like a leaking coupler would and reducing power and torque along with it?

It will, but you make more boost than you use, so your engine actually dumps excess boost into the exhaust to prevent overboost. Losing the extra bit of charged air through a 1/16" hole will not make a noticeable difference in your ability to create or sustain boost.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Roger350 said:

I have both a can (pass side only) and drilled cooler.

My truck runs great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.