First sports car

4,797 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by sodycracker
Flaith
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First sports car? Here's a practical opinion.

Jaguar F-Type S, convertible, manual transmission

380hp V6 that sounds awesome, only version of the F-type with a manual transmission.

It looks cool, sounds great, and for your first sports car, you don't need to go crazy with 500+ hp.

Another option that is different, but I love them. Porsche 911 (997) Targa 4S. This is on my short list for my next car purchase.

Something like this

Glass targa top, hatch rear window. Bonus points if you get a pre-'09 with the X51 power package. Otherwise, you may opt for a 2009+ with the 380hp engine.

ac04
997 targa is a great suggestion, but with $55k budget you'll need to be patient and probably aim for a 997.1 (2005 - 2008). the 997.2s get expensive in a hurry as the targas hold their value extremely well. but the glass roof is cool as hell and they are almost always very nicely optioned.
The Fife
jefe95 said:

GTR
I want to import one of these so bad, don't even care that it's RHD.
Cardiag
AG
What SL? Have been looking at these.
k_beaman
AG
2005-2008 911 Turbo - reliable as they come, and no pesky IMS bearing issues that plague the NA 911's of those production years.
gggmann
AG
k_beaman said:

2005-2008 911 Turbo - reliable as they come, and no pesky IMS bearing issues that plague the NA 911's of those production years.
He won't find a 997 turbo in his $55K budget. They're going for around $80K. He could get a 996 turbo in the $40's as nobody liked the headlights or interior. It does have the Mezger engine though.
'03ag
Man with that budget the 718 Cayman is so damn good.

But honestly I'd get a really nice 987 Cayman(2009+ to avoid IMS) and use the rest on a spare set of wheels and track tires, and a bunch of track/instruction.
k_beaman
AG
I love how a slightly different headlight is worth 20-30k to some people. the 996 turbo is an absolute bargain.
k_beaman
AG
Also - a quick search on Autotrader shows multiple examples of 997.1 Turbos going for less than 60k
gggmann
AG
k_beaman said:

Also - a quick search on Autotrader shows multiple examples of 997.1 Turbos going for less than 60k
If you filter for a turbo coupe w/ a 6 spd manual there is one less than $60K, and it's been totaled and rebuilt.
Buck Turgidson
Flaith said:

hypeiv said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Are you looking for something to have fun in? Or something to get help you get laid? Or something to make you seem cool?

Can you work on cars? Or do you take your truck into the shop for everything thing?

The range is long from 'I cant turn a wrench, but i want to have fun and dont care about the being cool "(corvette)

To

"I want to be cool, have fun, can turn a wrench but dont care about getting laid (classic triumph, mg, sunbeam, bmw 2002, etc)

I want to have fun, cant fix cars and dont care about getting laid (miata)

So what do I buy if I do care about being cool and want to get laid!?!?!
1989 IROC-Z with a Motley Crue Dr. Feelgood tape stuck in the deck
HELL YES! Of course, the chicks you'll be getting will be divorced and middle aged, but they will definitely be looking for a good time.
Aggiehunter34
S
What year cayman s? Been looking at one myself.
HumpitPuryear
AG
2011-2014 Shelby GT500 convertible. Very unlikely to see one around you. Gets lots of attention. You can find them with VERY low miles. Rare someway exotic but a lot easier and cheaper to work on than something like an Aston. I recently picked up a 2013 with 8k miles on it for 46 (msrp was close to 70k in 2013). 2011-12 are 8k or so less. 2014 was the last Shelby convertible maybe forever so they have some potential as a collectible too.
Guitarsoup
AG

My vote is the Lotus Evora.
'03ag
Damn good suggestion.

Toyota engine. "4" seats. Exotic looks. Great performance
agracer
AG
AggieEP said:

Also, since you said *first sports car, I would legitimately recommend renting or borrowing a similar car to make sure you actually do enjoy driving it. The used market is flooded with lightly used luxury sports cars with 6-speeds because guys find out after about 500 miles that they actually hate rowing gears/don't know how to.

I've daily driven 6 speeds for the last nine years, but that first month was full of regret as I found out pretty fast that there is a difference between knowing how to drive stick and KNOWING how to live with it. Once I got more proficient at the skills though, I fell in love with the total driving experience.

Another thing to keep in mind, especially with the foreign sports cars is that the maintenance bills are going to shock the literal **** out of you. I looked into buying an Audi RS5 a couple of years ago and from browsing their forums found out that oil changes are $800.00 affairs and brake jobs run north of $4k. I like to pretend like I want to play with the big boys of the sports car world, but I really don't... at the end of the day I want to be able to run my cars hard without worrying about going to the poor house for oil and brakes.
That's not true at all...brakes do get expensive from the dealer b/c they replace the rotors instead of turning them...unless they are carbon ceramic.

The key to owning an older used sports type car is to find a good independent you can trust. The bills will be 1/3-1/2 what a dealer will charge you.

My vote would be a 84/85 Ferrari 308 GTS. Maintenance at a good shop is not killer at all and if you're willing to do your own minor stuff, its the same as any other car listed here. It's a classic and you just don't see a lot of them anywhere.
sodycracker
AG
2006. The first year made. All were S models that year.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.