Tow vehicle for travel trailer

8,248 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yesterday
512Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jumping on this thread to ask about diesel vs. gas engines on a 3/4 ton.

I'm currently pulling my 28' Avion (think Airstream, but cheaper) with my 2016 Tahoe. It has the max trailering package and all that, but it really struggled in Colorado earlier this summer. It's been fine for the most part in Texas. What are y'all's thoughts on diesel vs gas on a 3/4 ton vehicle? It would also likely be my daily driver, but I drive very few miles each day.

Edited to add that we try to go on one long trip per year in addition to a few in-state trips.
Complete Idiot
I have towed travel trailers and so I do have some experience, but I feel this stuff is very personal - everyone has a different level of comfort with things.

I think you offered a worst case towing scenario - Colorado - and stated you only do one long trip a year. If it is always to Colorado, or if you live in Colorado, it may be worth it to you to get a used diesel pickup. That diesel torque will make a big difference in towing, especially in mountains. Since all your daily driving, and all but one of your trips in a year, appears to be in Texas, and you say that is fine, then I am not sure what would drive me personally to make a big financial commitment to improve a once a year trip. If you just want a diesel pickup, towing or not, then by all means use this towing justification to buy one! It will tow better, no doubt.
saltydog13
AG
With your short daily drives and not towing the camper all the time, I'd go gas. Probably the 7.3 gasser. Diesel Emissions would be a killer for that style of driving.
JB
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I have towed travel trailers and so I do have some experience, but I feel this stuff is very personal - everyone has a different level of comfort with things.

I think you offered a worst case towing scenario - Colorado - and stated you only do one long trip a year. If it is always to Colorado, or if you live in Colorado, it may be worth it to you to get a used diesel pickup. That diesel torque will make a big difference in towing, especially in mountains. Since all your daily driving, and all but one of your trips in a year, appears to be in Texas, and you say that is fine, then I am not sure what would drive me personally to make a big financial commitment to improve a once a year trip. If you just want a diesel pickup, towing or not, then by all means use this towing justification to buy one! It will tow better, no doubt.
I kinda fell like this is the global answer to all the tow rig threads.

1-You are probably going to do what your going to do anyway. Personal choice.

2-One big trip a year doesn't justify the extra expense of a diesel truck, even if its to Colorado

3-If you want a diesel truck, buy a diesel truck! Just don't rationalize it to us as you NEED it for all the towing you plan on doing.

We have been pulling a 14,000lb 5th wheel across the country for the last 6 weeks with an F-350. Up and down grades all through NM, CO, WY, ID so far. Its a great mule. Badass truck I would never want it to be my daily commuter in town. My 16 year old F150 is significantly more comfortable and easy to drive.
will.mcg
AG
Depending trailer size I understand that the F150 eco boosts can hold their own towing uphill etc. I am not an ecoboost fan boy whatsoever. 12 valve Cummins for life smoke em out!
Picard
AG
will.mcg said:

Depending trailer size I understand that the F150 eco boosts can hold their own towing uphill etc. I am not an ecoboost fan boy whatsoever. 12 valve Cummins for life smoke em out!

Where there's smoke, there's fire

512Ag
AG
Thanks, y'all. Appreciate your insight.
drewbie
AG
512Ag said:

Jumping on this thread to ask about diesel vs. gas engines on a 3/4 ton.

I'm currently pulling my 28' Avion (think Airstream, but cheaper) with my 2016 Tahoe. It has the max trailering package and all that, but it really struggled in Colorado earlier this summer. It's been fine for the most part in Texas. What are y'all's thoughts on diesel vs gas on a 3/4 ton vehicle? It would also likely be my daily driver, but I drive very few miles each day.

Edited to add that we try to go on one long trip per year in addition to a few in-state trips.
Agree w/ all the above. Not sure a diesel would be worth the extra cost, especially given how much you would drive it daily. I probably wouldn't buy a diesel if I was in your shoes.

A thing to consider is if you plan to upgrade soon. We bought a TT, and I've casually looked into a 5th wheel. We won't get one soon, but if you plan to, a diesel has a higher 5th wheel towing capacity.
saltydog13
AG
A 7.3 with 4.30 rear end is damn near the same as the diesel for towing capacities and would be a lot better daily driver for short trips
Yesterday
AG
saltydog13 said:

A 7.3 with 4.30 rear end is damn near the same as the diesel for towing capacities and would be a lot better daily driver for short trips

While the 7.3 may be the better option it won't touch a diesel as far as towing. 7.3 has 475 lb/ft torque while the diesel has nearly 1100 and at a much lower rpm.

At least that's what I tell myself every time I have to change the oil and fuel filters in my diesel.
saltydog13
AG
Very true. That was just the best option in my opinion since I wouldn't recommend a diesel for short trip daily driving.
Yesterday
AG
saltydog13 said:

Very true. That was just the best option in my opinion since I wouldn't recommend a diesel for short trip daily driving.

Touch! You'll get better payload too as the diesel weighs about 600lbs more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.