Thoughts on the BRZ / FT86?

1,788 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Shaun05
vansprinkle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do any of you own them or have any of you driven them? As far as fun little commuter/track day cars go, I know Miata is always the answer, but the BRZ/86/FR-S has me intrigued.

I currently have an 07 Fit with an auto trans. It's starting to show its age and I have a list of repairs/noises that I need to get to as soon as I have time and the weather clears up. I'd like to get a fun and sporty replacement with a manual trans to replace it and track occasionally. I've thought about old Miatas and C5 Vettes, but the little BRZ has my attention at the moment.
TxSquarebody
Take it to the auto board!
End Of Message
AG
They may have done well in the caucus, but neither can beat Trump.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BN-OhwuhHg8

The only forecast this guy cares about has to do with the markets.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BOCxkBUBcJn

When the weather is snow flurries with 100% chance of business.
TxTarpon
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
aggiebq03+
Pretty sure a convertible won't be a track day car unless you plan to put in a roll cage.
techno-ag
AG
What are your thoughts on the Shelby F150?
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

nortex97
AG
They are nice cars but from what I've read the Subie for whatever reason wins most comparisons, unless of course you prefer service from your local Toyota dealer.

It would be nice if they came with more power.
vansprinkle
AG
Ugh. Fail
chimpanzee
Supposed to be fun in the "slow car fast" kind of way. I'm tempted to try one (or a Miata) to see if I would enjoy that approach. I've had fast cars, and find it difficult to find places where you can use the power to good effect without getting really illegal.
Silvy
AG
The secret ingredient to fun is crime.
hatchback
AG
After a quick test drive in a Miata, I was hooked. So much fun especially with the manual transmission. Relatively short throws from the factory. Sometimes I wish I would've bought the Miata instead of my GTI.
zooguy96
AG
I love my G35, course, it's an '03. It's an automatic, but really fun (to me) to drive. Hs under 100,000 miles and in great condition. A Grandma owned it before me.

Civic Si? Owned an '08, and it was plenty quick for me. Looks like it has about the same HP as a BRZ. I love the body style of the '14-16's (or somewhere during those years - before the auful ones - in my opinion - that they have now).
chimpanzee
silverado_lover said:

The secret ingredient to fun is crime.
I hear you, but I'd need more driving skill for it to be fun for anyone other than the people making fun of me flying into a pasture in the inevitable YouTube comment section.
BigRobSA
Have several friends back in Iowa that have them and track them (and old Miatas). Their lack of power is perfect for the track. Suspension mods do wonders as they already are "on rails".
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
TulaneAg
I just bought a BRZ to use as my dedicated track car so we'll see. I'm planning to make small incremental changes before each track event so I can learn and feel the upgrades over a full weekend...but ultimately I plan to keep it naturally aspirated.

I've been chasing hp from my original 996, to my 981S, and finally my most recent M4 which scared the beejeezus out of me when I put it in the wall at COTA. I decided to step back and really learn to drive well in a momentum car like this. Plus the BRZ cost less than the repairs on the M4 so I can wad it up and walk away from it if necessary.
drumboy
AG
Always wondered about these. I had an civic Si and it felt fast....until I got a WRX.
TSJ
AG
https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/forum/vorshlag-motorsports-discussions/vorshlag-project-cars/6982-vorshlag-brz-frs-project-development-thread

Frs project car that now has 315's all the way around with a wide body kit. Now it's in the final stages of the ls swap they are developing.
knoxtom
Just a funny note...

My land rover discovery is faster from 0 to 60 than either the brz or the civic si. I dont think i would personally ever get a "sports car" that cant keep up with a lot of suv's
BigRobSA
knoxtom said:

Just a funny note...

My land rover discovery is faster from 0 to 60 than either the brz or the civic si. I dont think i would personally ever get a "sports car" that cant keep up with a lot of suv's
And yet, on the street, those two cars would run, not walk, away from you in a real race-for-life kind of situation...not just straight-line dragging.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
knoxtom
It would be closer than you think and i would have either if the weather was bad. I know they turn better but that brz cant handle spit, much less rain. If the "track" had long straights it would even out very fast
Shaun05
AG
I own a 2017 BRZ, its a fun little car. Definitely wont win any races in a straight line but its fun to drive. The new BRZs are rumored to have an upgraded engine while still maintaining the Manual/Rear-wheel drive that is slowly disappearing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.