Question: was involved in a hit & run, how to proceed?

1,977 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ftworthag02
ftworthag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1/8 I was involved in a hit & run in Fort Worth. Minor damage just her black paint on my driver door and dented my step bar on my tundra. I followed her for as long as I could and got a pic of her license plate. Turns out that she hit several people in the area. I contacted my insurance and told them I would be using caliber for repairs. I waited a week and contacted FW police and asked to be transferred to the detective that was working the case. Left him a message and still haven't heard back. I dropped by caliber yesterday and their estimate was $525. My uninsured deductible is $250. I contacted my insurance and they want me to get the police report and see if she has insurance. I tried purchasing the report on Fort Worth's site and it says their having issues processing credit card payments right now. Shouldn't my insurance be doing all the leg work? Or should I just pay out of pockets for the repair?

Thanks & Gig'em!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Having been involved in a crash before caused by an uninsured motorist, I provided the police report and a description of what happened, USAA did everything else (including making an effort to confirm insurance or not on the deadbeat's part)
Naveronski
AG
DPD & FWPD won't pursue hit and run's unless there is injury. As such, you're unlikely to get any restitution from them.

File with your insurance and pay the deductible. (Or pay for the repairs yourself, you call)

Her plates were probably fake/stolen anyway, you can buy them on facebook. If she had an insurance card, she paid for a month, got the card, then cancelled it.
ccolley68
AG
For $525 in damages with a $250 deductible, I'd just pay out of pocket and thank your lucky stars that you probably got out the cheapest of the slough of people she hit that day.
LOYAL AG
AG
Get her license plate? Turn it over to the outdoor board and see if they can ruin her life.

Only kind of kidding.
ftworthag02
AG
Thank you for all the advice. I've definitely thought about passing along her info to the outdoor board. I was finally able to purchase the police report yesterday. The car is owned by someone else and does have allstate for insurance. I've passed along the police report to my insurance agent. Will wait to hear what she says. The police report says that she hit at least 4 other cars. Damn!
ac04
ftworthag02
AG
So I filed w/ allstate. Downloaded their app, took pics of my truck using their app, received their estimate the next day: $234. The estimate from Caliber collision was $525. I talked to the allstate rep today and he said he reached out to the owner of the car and the driver and have not heard back. He said we will have to wait and see. My insurance rep said that if he can't get ahold of them then they will deny the claim and then my insurance will go after them and since my repairs are under my deductible then I will pay out of pocket. Crazy how a law abiding citizen thats minding his own business gets hit by a crazy person and then has to jump through hoops and possibly pay out of pocket for repairs.

Thanks & Gig'em!
ftworthag02
AG
Any other advice?

TIA
ftworthag02
AG
update: after not hearing from the fw detective handling my case for 3-4 weeks I dropped by the local precinct and told the person at the front desk my story. He said he would email her. She called me about 10mins later and said shes talked to the owner of the car but has not been able to get ahold of the driver that hit me. Supposedly she was having a manic episode that day and hit 4 other cars. The detective did not want to arrest her since she was having mental problems. The detective asked for the allstate rep contact info I've been dealing with and called him to give him her side of the story. Just got a call this morning from allstate rep and said they've decided to cover my damages and a rental. Just last week the rep said they would probably have to drop their coverage and then I would have to go through uninsured motorist.

As the great Bob Marley said, "Don't give up the fight!"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.