Help me buy my next set of tires. I'm clueless and on a budget!

2,423 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FDXAg
FDXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know you guys are experts on all things cars and I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm definitely not. Our family car (older 2013 Kia Sorento) is in need of a new set of tires. This is the car my wife and daughters use, so safety and good handling in wet weather is biggest need. Plus, hopefully the tires can last until we sell the car in 50 to 60k more miles, at least. Would rather not have to buy another set.

I'm on a budget and ideally would like to try and stay under $600 all in with tires and installation (if possible). When I go to discount tire's website I'm just not sure what to look for and which brands to avoid, especially since I'm on a budget and can't really afford to drop $200/tire on top of the line like Michelin. All the treadwear ratings and mileage ratings seem all over the place in relation to cost of specific tires, and reviews all seem so subjective.

FYI....Size is 235/65/17

Tl/dr.....I need new tires for family car. No clue what best options are for the following criteria:

1. 235/65/17
2. Ideally under $600 total budget with tires AND installation
3. Good handling, especially when wet.
4. Last at least 50k miles

Thanks for any advice!
An Ag in CO
AG
Do the current tires meet your criteria?
FDXAg
AG
Not really. I should have mentioned that, sorry. We bought cheap, "HP Definity 100" tires a few years ago. A pep boys branded tire. Only a 50k mileage rated tire and though we did actually get 50k miles out of them, the handling on wet roads has always been poor. Tires spin and struggle to get traction frequently, and now that the tread is low the problem is magnified and really concerning me.
Aero95
AG
I'm not in Discount Tire territory unfortunately, but have bought my last two sets of tires from Costco. Catch there every month or two promo and you can get a good set. Promo typically is 75-ish off 4 plus free installation and road hazard warranty. Put Dueler Alenzas on the wife's explorer and Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 on my BMW and was happy with both.

The previous Ecopia 422's in the explorer didn't last.

Alternatively try Tire Rack and find an independent shop near you that works with them. You can read lots of reviews on their site.
MouthBQ98
AG
I've gotten 2 sets of random middle grade inexpensive highway tires for my Honda from discount and been happy with both. They can come in under your budget with something.
FDXAg
AG
I have heard Costco often has good promotions but unfortunately I'm not a member.

Tire rack is a good idea. I'll have to check that out.
Silvy
AG
Cooper Evolution Tour from Discount Tire Direct
fooz
Check out Nitto 421Q
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Dynapro HP2 RA33
Discount Tire Arizonian Silver Edition III
Destination LE2
See if your local Firestone is having a buy 3 get 1 free sale, if so, the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza plus can be had for cheaper than the LE2 sometimes.
3rd Platoon
AG
You'll hit right around your criteria, especially with price/quality/traction/handling, with Firestone Destination LE2.
Jack Cheese
AG
I have always had better luck going in person to Discount Tire, rather than figuring it out online. I have found the guys there to be very good at telling me the best tire for my budget. For example, they'll tell me that one of their house brands is made by Nitto (would not know that by looking online) or they'll tell me which ones are lower quality.

I've bought tires at Costco before and it's just been a so-so experience.
dodger02
AG
Wife has the Destination LE2 on her CX-9. Really good tire.
Vernada
AG
I put Cooper's on my car recently and feel they're a great value.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I'd check out the Pirelli Scorpions. I haven't had that model but I've been real happy with my Pirellis. Just hit 40K on my current set and no sign of needing a new set anytime soon. With certificates, they will, however, hit your max budget.
hatchback
AG
I'm hoping their SUV tires are better than their sports tires. I had nothing but sidewall bubbles and other troubles with the OE tires from Pirelli on my GTI.

Cooper makes a good tire at a good value. Had a set of Discoverer AT3 on my 99 Suburban.

Another recommendation would be General Tire. I put a set on my wife's Corolla and we've been happy. Hard to beat the price, too.
AgBQ-00
AG
Have coopers on my truck. They have been very good for me
FDXAg
AG
Thanks guys.

Can't seem to find any Destination LE2 in my size, but that she looks like a great tire.

Seems the consensus is that Cooper tires are also good, so I'm looking at the Cooper Evolution tour, as well. Seems to come in at my budget too.

Is the next big tire sale not till memorial day weekend???
SnowboardAg
AG
Go in person to Discount Tire and negotiate on them - they will negotiate
aggiedata
AG
To add to 1ags post: Discount Tires' private store brand is Arizonian. Made by Cooper. I bought a set last year and have been very happy with them. Came in around $600 during July 4th sale.
Shiner Bock
AG
Cooper evolution tours
FDXAg
AG
Thanks all! Got the Cooper Evolution tour tires with installation and road hazard included from Sam's Club for $540 total. Looking forward to getting them!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.