Claim with USAA: comprehensive vs. collision

7,225 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggieangler93
fourth deck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was traveling around the Atlanta Perimeter on the way to DFW for Christmas in our Sienna. Suddenly, my wife and I see a spinning piece of metal kick over from the lane to our right directly in front of us and have no choice but to run over it. Piece of metal hits front bumper and does very minor damage, but goes underneath the car and punctures the heater pipe which carries engine coolant to the rear of the van and also puts a hole in the muffler. Was fortunate to get towed to a dealer nearby and continue onwards in a rental. The piece of metal likely fell off a truck but will never know what it was or where it came from.

USAA is classifying this as 'at fault' under collision and not under comprehensive since the debris went underneath the car. The agent's explanation is that it would have been akin to hitting a pot-hole; a single-car accident. I have accident forgiveness so it shouldn't jack up my rates but classifying it this way ticks me off. Is USAA in the wrong or am I?
Cassius
I agree with you. If something flies off another vehicle in front of you and hits your car, its not your fault! A pot hole is fixed and part of the road.
drumboy
AG
How did you word it when talking to the insurance company? I think you need to make it clear that it hit you and not the other way around.

My mother had a similar experience hitting a vacuum cleaner on the freeway that tore up some stuff under her CRV and it was filed under collision.
scd88
AG
If the object was moving and it happened suddenly, then it should be argued you had no control over it hitting you. Keep battling this, despite the accident forgiveness.
JamesPShelley
I would suggest to your agent that he/she process your claim in "Good faith". That should catch his/her attention.

My experience includes having worked at a large Los Angeles insurance defense firm and, in certain instances and under certain circumstances, the "good faith" effort boiled down to a financial decision and usually in favor of the insured.

Best wishes. Good luck.
Jack Cheese
AG
Why does this magic phrase cast a spell on the insurance company?
DadAG10
Read your contract. Definitions are included.
JamesPShelley
Jack Cheese said:

Why does this magic phrase cast a spell on the insurance company?
I wouldn't suggest it casts a spell, but instead subtly alerts the agent that you would expect him/her to process your claim fairly. I find myself in agreement with the position of the previous posters... and the scenario painted by the OP is dissimilar to running over a pothole.

Insurance companies aren't in business to pay claims and, more often than not, must be encouraged to be fair. Me thinks you know that. In my experience the "Good faith" suggestion achieves fairness in certain circumstances.

Further, good faith lawsuits cost a ton to defend and... based upon the description of the "accident"... maybe the insurance company has an actuary who will do the math. The "good faith" suggestion likely will be considered in the calculation.

Cheers!
Duncan Idaho
Sounds like it is along the lines of

Are/were you injured?
"I am not a medical professional and as such I can not say at this time."
Jack Cheese
AG
Oh I know how they make their money. This phrase was obviously a term of art, I just didn't know what it meant or why the agent would alert to it.

I had an image in my mind of speaking it over the phone like a magic word.

"This is being processed as an at fault claim"

"But it's not like a pothole"

"Yes it is."

[jedi wave] "is that your good faith answer?"

"This is not like a pothole. We will process it as a comprehensive claim."
fourth deck
AG
Thanks all. I tried some suggestions above while talking to a manager but they're sticking to their guns on this one. Something about 'new training' and 'being consistent with these types of claims'. Only other avenues are taking it to executive resolutions or submitting a complaint with department of insurance but don't expect either of those to be fruitful. I'll simply be prepared to change insurers if they jack up my rates come renewal time.

Drivers beware if you have USAA and your vehicle is damaged going over anything that happens to touch the ground.
Post removed:
by user
fourth deck
AG
Sasappis said:

Would you have to pay the deductible if they classified it the other way?

I am not really sure it matters either way. Even in a non fault accident they raise your rates because of claims.

Yes, but comprehensive deductible is $300 less and doesn't paint me as some sort of negligent driver on their records :/
Furlock Bones
AG
i would keep fighting it.
txyaloo
AG
fourth deck said:

Thanks all. I tried some suggestions above while talking to a manager but they're sticking to their guns on this one. Something about 'new training' and 'being consistent with these types of claims'. Only other avenues are taking it to executive resolutions or submitting a complaint with department of insurance but don't expect either of those to be fruitful. I'll simply be prepared to change insurers if they jack up my rates come renewal time.

Drivers beware if you have USAA and your vehicle is damaged going over anything that happens to touch the ground.
Generally executive escalations will fix issues. I use it all the time after giving standard service several attempts to correct. I had to use it with USAA ~12 years ago when Gen. Robles was CEO. Issue got resolved to my satisfaction.

Current CEO's email is stuart.parker@usaa.com. Send a polite email explaining the issue, what you've done to attempt to correct it with standard service, and I usually explain my connection to the company. Attach any email documentation you may have. Someone from the exec escalations team will get back with you in a day or so.
91AggieLawyer
AG
There's no way I would drop this, but then I could litigate this fairly easy. I haven't read your policy but the stated reason is beyond shaky. This is an industry standard comp claim if I've ever heard of one.
OldArmyBrent
AG
Good luck. I left USAA years ago after they decided customer service and honesty was no longer important. You're lucky they haven't sent their "investigator" out yet to accuse you of lying about this accident and to threaten not to pay for anything.
Raptor
AG
Not USAA, but my wife had a Very large piece of tire get kicked up in front of her and she hit it, ran over it, and it damaged multiple parts of her vw beetle.

She called the insurance company and they told her that it was her fault she hit it. She called again and talked to a different agent and again they told her it was her fault. on her third call the agent asked, "was it airborne?" and my wife replied "yes!!"

They covered the cost of damage ($2400) and only charged her the deductible.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Dill-Ag13
AG
Keep fighting it.
DadAG10
And airborne does make a difference.
DadAG10
Was the damage caused by some thing on the road or was it airborne?
jsc8116
AG
File a complaint with the DOI(dept of insurance) in the state your policy is in if after speaking to a supervisor at USAA doesnt change it to comp. If the object was moving at the time pf impact if should be classified as a "missile" and would be a comp claim.
Pepper Brooks
AG
If the object was in the process of falling when impact occurred then it's probably comp.
If the object had fallen and was on the pavement when impact occurred most carriers consider it collision with a stationary object.

This may not help but I figured I'd chime in as a current P&C underwriter and former claims adjuster.

There is a misconception that a collision is "at fault" and a comp claim is not. Ultimately, carriers are for profit entities and the payout could affect your rates regardless of the coverage it is paid under. I wouldn't sweat this unless the difference in deductibles is substantial.

It sounds like your accident forgiveness is going to take care of you either way.
permabull
AG
htxag09
AG
I thought USAA was known as the most customer service focused insurance company out there?
Post removed:
by user
Jack Cheese
AG
hypeiv said:

I'm not sure how accident forgiveness works, but if his accident forgiveness covers it, doesn't that burn his one get out of jail free card, or will they offer this protection again after the first accident? I'd still be annoyed my accident forgiveness was wasted on something it shouldn't have been wasted on.

I don't have accident forgiveness because it seems kind of hokey to me. It's basically insurance that your insurance won't go up, which is a little too derivative for me. (why not have insurance that your insurance's insurance won't go up, where does it end?) Also the coverage seems arbitrary... i.e. it says your premium won't go up because of an accident, but if your premiums go up the next year, they can just BS you and say its because of any other random factor.

I've always suspected that "accident forgiveness" is really just pre-paying your first accident in the form of higher premiums from the outset. Maybe I'm just cynical. I have no insider knowledge.
txyaloo
AG
Sasappis said:

htxag09 said:

I thought USAA was known as the most customer service focused insurance company out there?

Their marketing department has done a great job trying to sell the idea they are somehow different than other insurance companies. They are certainly a good insurance company compared to others, but they are still an insurance company. As a rule, insurance companies don't make money paying claims.
They used to be much more member focused prior to the early 2000s when they started letting everyone under the sun in and increasing the risk pool. Things have steadily worsened as the company grew.

I think a lot of people don't realize "USAA" insurance is covered by multiple companies depending on your membership level (officer, enlisted, dependent, some other association with the military) and your risk level. I've found the service you receive between being covered by USAA County Mutual, USAA Causality, and USAA itself is very different. Also, county mutual insurance companies are regulated differently in Texas.
tamuags08
AG
I've had awesome service with our USAA car insurance and beyond terrible service with our USAA dwelling insurance. I'll be switching as soon as we're through the active claim we have.
aggiepaintrain
AG
USAA SUCKS
If you ever need to make a claim against them get a lawyer.
BEaggie08
AG
OldArmyBrent said:

Good luck. I left USAA years ago after they decided customer service and honesty was no longer important. You're lucky they haven't sent their "investigator" out yet to accuse you of lying about this accident and to threaten not to pay for anything.
This happened to my dad on a hail claim. He had my brother's 350Z parked on the lemon lot for sale at Peterson when a hail storm came through. He was out of town at the time. When he got back and filed a claim, they sent an investigator out and denied the claim, accusing him of intentionally causing the damage himself. I dumped them shortly thereafter.
TriAg2010
AG
hypeiv said:

I'm not sure how accident forgiveness works, but if his accident forgiveness covers it, doesn't that burn his one get out of jail free card, or will they offer this protection again after the first accident? I'd still be annoyed my accident forgiveness was wasted on something it shouldn't have been wasted on.

That, and I've applied for non-automotive insurance where I was asked to disclose any at-fault car accidents. A clean history is worth fighting for, IMO.
AgCPA95
AG
Sasappis said:

htxag09 said:

Their marketing department has done a great job trying to sell the idea they are somehow different than other insurance companies. They are certainly a good insurance company compared to others, but they are still an insurance company. As a rule, insurance companies don't make money paying claims.
This...they are not your friend as they try to portray themselves. They have an unusually loyal target customer and position themselves perfectly with them.
WP69
AG
Still with them, but the small things aren't the same. It's been years since I was referred to by my rank.
BrazosDog02
AG
It's all in how you word it. Read your policy carefully to figure out how comprehensive coverage works and what is covered. That will give you exactly the verbiage and story you need to make the right claim for proper coverage.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.