Volkswagen Atlas

3,516 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Dill-Ag13
AgLiving06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've seen this car some on the road and like the styling.

I've never owned a Volkswagen, so not sure what I'd be getting into with one.

any thoughts on the v6?

Also any connections in the Houston area?
ccolley68
AG
I like the styling a lot. The emissions thing to me is pretty meh. I would love for my wife to drive one because I think it's great bang for the buck with seating capacity with 3 kids, but she is a little too hifalutin to see past the fact it's a VW.
Mookie
AG
My friend in the auto biz with me had his lemon law'ed 2 months ago. Bought a pilot like he should have done in the first place.

Still waiting on his check from VW.
Duncan Idaho
I had one as a rental. It did not suck for a rental.
rao11010
AG
Wife has a 2018 SEL and really likes it. Interior is big and fits our 1 car seat with plenty of leg room in the 3rd row still. The V6 feels under powered but it's geared towards a family car so to be expected. Overall good value and came with a 6 year, 75,000 mile warranty.
Furlock Bones
AG
i guess i'm in the minority, but these things are hideous. it's an amalgamation of every trend in the industry rather than a well thought out style.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Flaith
AG
Furlock Bones said:

i guess i'm in the minority, but these things are hideous. it's an amalgamation of every trend in the industry rather than a well thought out style.
None of them look good. Atlas, Pathfinder, Explorer, Traverse, Highlander, etc. They all look like extended blobs designed to convince people they aren't minivans.
drumboy
AG
Flaith said:

Furlock Bones said:

None of them look good. Atlas, Pathfinder, Explorer, Traverse, Highlander, etc. They all look like extended blobs designed to convince people they aren't minivans.
Some good looking ones...

The Fife
Flaith said:

Furlock Bones said:

At the dropoff line for day care I'll play the 'is it a minivan or cute ute/crossover' game with whatever I'm behind in line. Sometimes I have to google it because there's just no way to tell. A lot of them remind me of the '92 MPV my friend's mom had.
drumboy
AG
The Fife said:

Flaith said:

Furlock Bones said:

At the dropoff line for day care I'll play the 'is it a minivan or cute ute/crossover' game with whatever I'm behind in line. Sometimes I have to google it because there's just no way to tell. A lot of them remind me of the '92 MPV my friend's mom had.
A friend of mine had a Dodge Journey he called an SUV. I always told him it was a minivan w/o sliding rear doors.
Dill-Ag13
AG
drumboy said:

The Fife said:

Flaith said:

Furlock Bones said:

A friend of mine had a Dodge Journey he called an SUV. I always told him it was a minivan w/o sliding rear doors.

Get new friends. Hth
Tumble Weed
The Fife said:

Flaith said:

Furlock Bones said:

Range Rover and Range Rover Sport are the only two that I think look good.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland is slowly growing on me.

You could take the badge off the rest of them, and I couldn't tell the difference.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Mookie said:

My friend in the auto biz with me had his lemon law'ed 2 months ago. Bought a pilot like he should have done in the first place.

What about hte 9 speed class action on the Pilot?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Furlock Bones said:

The main thing I dislike is the LED lights..reminds me of Lurch from the Addams family..
hatchback
AG
drumboy said:

Flaith said:

Furlock Bones said:

Is that an Outback or an Ascent? Those two look so much alike I can hardly tell when I'm next to or behind one in traffic.

And I don't like the looks of the Ascent. It's just a bloated and inflated outback. Subaru really mailed in the design with that crossover.
Corps_Ag12
AG
The Telluride has a cool name going for it, that's about it in my book. Just looks like a shrunken down 2007-2013 Yukon.
JSKolache
AG
It's a VW, so it will break early and repairs will be expensive
Mateo84
AG
JSKolache said:

It's a VW, so it will break early and repairs will be expensive
It has a 6 year, 72,000 mile warranty
Mateo84
AG
We bought an Atlas about 18 months and 18,000 miles ago. It's a pretty good value vehicle. Very functional and affordable family car. It wouldn't be my daily driver because of the slightly underpowered powertrain, FWD, and my heavy right foot, but it works great for the wife and kids. Oh, and it actually has more interior room behind the 2nd row than a Tahoe and about the same as my Expedition, but in a smaller overall vehicle than both.

My only other complaints are that the gas tank is small for a 7 passenger vehicle (means more stops on road trips), and the seats are less comfortable than my 2004 Ford Expedition, but they are heated and look nice so I guess it's a reasonable tradeoff.
AgLiving06
drumboy said:

Flaith said:

Furlock Bones said:

The problem I have with the Ford is when you start trying to get to the v6, you start to get into the 50k range. And if I'm in the 50k range, I might as well just get the Aviator.
ORAggieFan
I was between the Atlas and Ascent. I didn't like the back row only seating two in the Atlas and the less cargo space. It was nice though. Liked the features available on the Ascent more.
Mookie
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Mookie said:

What about hte 9 speed class action on the Pilot?

Dunno. The pilot works, the atlas did not. And VW doesn't really seem interested in doing the right thing.
SteveA
AG
Not all pilots have the 9 speed. Also, my wife does and the car is fantastic.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
AgLiving06 said:

drumboy said:

Flaith said:

Furlock Bones said:

The problem I have with the Ford is when you start trying to get to the v6, you start to get into the 50k range. And if I'm in the 50k range, I might as well just get the Aviator.
2.3L has 300hp/310 tq.

That should be plenty for most folks, and 20 more than the outgoing NA V6.

I agree on the V6 part though. The 3.0TT in a base Aviator is a smoking deal.
AgLiving06
I still struggle to want to have an underpowered engine reliant on a turbo, especially when it doesn't look like Ford has it figured out yet.

My buddy has a 2018 Raptor and has already had it in the shop twice because the turbo keeps cutting out.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
AgLiving06 said:

I still struggle to want to have an underpowered engine reliant on a turbo, especially when it doesn't look like Ford has it figured out yet.

My buddy has a 2018 Raptor and has already had it in the shop twice because the turbo keeps cutting out.

Sadly its the trend eveyones doing.

VAG does it, volvo has super/turbo combination engines, GM has a 2.7L turbo 4 Silverado and the 2020 Tahoe will offer the same engine, Honda's Accord lineup is all Turbo.

Remember when GM was trying to do 'mild hybrid' and 'e-assist' on their cars? Go back more to the displacement on demand, and when Caddy tried to do 4-6-8....

Manufacturers are trying to do more with less because of fuel economy demands. Ford learned that fleet buyers dont care about high tech and want reliable and easy to service. Hence the new 7.3L OHV engine available in the super duty.

Interesting to hear what your buddy's raptor resolution is.

What do you mean by 'cutting out' ? The turbos are driven by Exhaust gases....so unless theres a turbo bearing failure or something else, they can't really 'cut out'
drumboy
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Ford learned that fleet buyers dont care about high tech and want reliable and easy to service. Hence the new 7.3L OHV engine available in the super duty.

Sounds like why I don't mind Tundras keeping the 5.7 that started in 07 or so.
Waltonloads08
AG
I keep expecting to hear bad news on the Volvo T6 turbo/supers, but so far no major common issues supposedly.

Coming up on a year now with the 2018 XC we bought used. No issues so far, knock on moose antlers...
Dill-Ag13
AG
T8s are the nightmares
AgLiving06
I really just mean that the turbo stops working.

I don't think it's clear what the problem is yet, though he suspects it has to do with moisture problems like the eco boost has early on.

He mentioned they'd already replaced something once, but it didn't fix the issues.
Token
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

I looked at this and ended up owning a Palisade.

an even uglier vehicle lol
hatchback
AG
Token said:

Esteban du Plantier said:

I looked at this and ended up owning a Palisade.

an even uglier vehicle lol

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is an ugly vehicle.
Fairview
AG
My neighbor bought one last year and I got stuck riding in the backseat once on a 45 minute drive. I can't speak to the rest but the back seat was very spacious. I was shocked how big it was.
Waltonloads08
AG
I thought the T8 was just the added hybrid battery? Or is that what you are referring to?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.