Lincoln Aviator

8,059 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by alabamaaggie12
Change Detection
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking to buy an SUV (mainly my wife is) and we decided go look at the Aviator in Houston this weekend. They wouldn't let us test drive one since the dealership had people putting their name on the list to test drive and we were a half page down the list, maybe sometime in the next few months. They were moving quite fast. The power for that vehicle is very nice (400hP) on paper, but I would have really like to have driven one.

Anybody test drive or own one?

Anybody have a good Lincoln contact in Houston?

The salesman we were talking to showed us the deposits people were putting up for the vehicles. One person was coming in from Dallas to pick up their vehicle. If they didn't show by a certain time, they were getting their deposit back and the car was being sold to a different person. 2 of 3 were sold the morning they arrived and the one they had on the floor (Black Label) was $86K.

It is a dang impressive SUV!!

Our requirements are: sporty, we won't be towing, 6-7 passenger, great turning radius, looks cool, can last more than 5 years with normal driving (15 miles per day), Decent technology that has upgrade capability, comes in a nice red exterior paint. I am certain there are others, but these were provided to me.

We have been looking at SUVs for awhile and feel they were all under-powered. I want nothing to do with BMWs which seems to be the cream,. Everything else has something lacking.

We by cars for the long term and I have never even sat in a Lincoln until this last weekend. Any information or opinions would be appreciated.
drumboy
AG
They are very nice looking but $86K for a gussied up Explorer is insane. You can get a Land Cruiser for that much.
DeWrecking Crew
Get yourself a high-end Explorer (same platform) and save $20K. Now having said that, there are stark differences in the fit and finish, the Aviator is by far the better looking vehicle, both inside and out. But a Platinum 2020 RWD Explorer checks all the boxes of your requirements. But I won't lie, would much rather have the Aviator, I just don't like waiting for the hype to die down to where pricing and availability are "normal".
AgCPA95
AG
I don't have a recommendation of dealerships but Bud Adam's family owns West Point Lincoln so I wouldn't even buy a lug nut from them. #trueblue
ktownag08
AG
Wife wants one for her next car, but thankfully she's agreed to wait until next year.

We saw it at the auto show, and it's a stunner. Hopefully drives as good as she looks!
The Dog Lord
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

Get yourself a high-end Explorer (same platform) and save $20K. Now having said that, there are stark differences in the fit and finish, the Aviator is by far the better looking vehicle, both inside and out. But a Platinum 2020 RWD Explorer checks all the boxes of your requirements. But I won't lie, would much rather have the Aviator, I just don't like waiting for the hype to die down to where pricing and availability are "normal".

I actually like the overall shape of the Explorer MUCH more than the Aviator.
Strongwind86
AG
Picked up a 2019 Nautilus for the Mrs. earlier this year from Joe Myers Lincoln. Been very happy w the Nautilus-it's a much different vehicle than the current Edge we looked at.

Will be back in town tomorrow. Will get a name for you. They were pretty reasonable to deal with.
Change Detection
AG
Great thanks
Macarthur
The Dog Lord said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

That's always kinda been my vibe with all the Lincoln's and Caddie's. I know this is a bit of hyperbole, but it looks like they just slap a ton of chrome on them and jack the price up 40%.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Macarthur said:

The Dog Lord said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

That's always kinda been my vibe with all the Lincoln's and Caddie's. I know this is a bit of hyperbole, but it looks like they just slap a ton of chrome on them and jack the price up 40%.

In the past I think this was not too far off, but the interior of the Aviator is nuts compared to the Explorer. Those Lincoln 20 way seats are pretty incredible.
Strongwind86
AG
I would previously agree w your comment that a Lincoln is just a Ford w more chrome. We would always go between a Ford and the Lincoln alternative.

Earlier this year we looked at a high end Edge. Then looked at the Nautilus. There is a huge difference with the interior styling. Console/shifter/controls/seats are all different on the new Lincoln. It's more than just adding "gingerbread" to the Ford.

Lincoln also comes w 4 year/48,000 mile base warranty.

We got a Reserve package. The Black Label models were a lot more $$$.
Buck Turgidson
I just sat in an Aviator this morning and it is very nice. Too small for us, though. We need a big 3rd row seat.
Macarthur
Strongwind86 said:

I would previously agree w your comment that a Lincoln is just a Ford w more chrome. We would always go between a Ford and the Lincoln alternative.

Earlier this year we looked at a high end Edge. Then looked at the Nautilus. There is a huge difference with the interior styling. Console/shifter/controls/seats are all different on the new Lincoln. It's more than just adding "gingerbread" to the Ford.

Lincoln also comes w 4 year/48,000 mile base warranty.

We got a Reserve package. The Black Label models were a lot more $$$.

Fair enough.
'03ag
Lincoln should make seats for everyone.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Do it the 1ags way. Buy the ford and swap in the Lincoln seats.

$86K for a fancy explorer is pretty insane. Even the explorer ST or platinum crossing the line at $60K is hard to believe. How long until they start offering big manufacturer discounts?
JosephMarcus
drumboy said:

They are very nice looking but $86K for a gussied up Explorer is insane. You can get a Land Cruiser for that much.
holy cow. 86K for a mini navigator? that's insane. there are definitely vehicles out there that are better values than an 86k aviator.
drumboy
AG
JosephMarcus said:

drumboy said:

holy cow. 86K for a mini navigator? that's insane. land crusiers are POS's, but there are definitely vehicles out there that are better values than an 86k aviator.
Bruh?
'03ag
GarlandAg2012
AG
They are built well but they're definitely a bit long in the tooth. And extremely expensive.
drumboy
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

They are built well but they're definitely a bit long in the tooth. And extremely expensive.
That's a big difference from being a POS.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I think a base model Aviator is the way to go if you're looking at the total spread between Base Explorer to Black Label Aviator.

The entry level Aviator comes with the TT 3.0L V6, which only is available on the Sport and Platinum Explorer. Leather, heated/cooled seats, Sync 3, carplay/android, intelligent access, push button start, etc. I dont care about things like laser cruise and 64 way power seats, giant sunroofs, etc. Everything else that the Aviator adds on higher trims is superfluous to me.

This is mainly going to be driven by soccer moms to HEB, pilates and wine bars, then transport their kids to school, soccer practice, and spirit night at Chick Fil A. Do you really need Bridge of Wier Leather, heated steering wheels, 22s and a panoramic sunroof to do that?
GarlandAg2012
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I think a base model Aviator is the way to go if you're looking at the total spread between Base Explorer to Black Label Aviator.

The entry level Aviator comes with the TT 3.0L V6, which only is available on the Sport and Platinum Explorer. Leather, heated/cooled seats, Sync 3, carplay/android, intelligent access, push button start, etc. I dont care about things like laser cruise and 64 way power seats, giant sunroofs, etc. Everything else that the Aviator adds on higher trims is superfluous to me.

This is mainly going to be driven by soccer moms to HEB, pilates and wine bars, then transport their kids to school, soccer practice, and spirit night at Chick Fil A. Do you really need Bridge of Wier Leather, heated steering wheels, 22s and a panoramic sunroof to do that?
That feels like a pretty arbitrary line to me. Do you need a TT 3.0L V6 to do that? Push button start?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

That feels like a pretty arbitrary line to me. Do you need a TT 3.0L V6 to do that? Push button start?
Can you expect to fish your keys out of your purse while holding your half caff skinny Caramel Macchiato and Snapchatting at the same time? You need the TT V6 because you're late for soccer practice....

Not really. I mean you could this with a Corolla, but imagine rolling up to the wine bar and parking "that thing" between a G Wagen and a Cadillac XT6.
EMY92
AG
Heated steering wheels are awesome!
JosephMarcus
drumboy said:

JosephMarcus said:

drumboy said:

holy cow. 86K for a mini navigator? that's insane. land crusiers are POS's, but there are definitely vehicles out there that are better values than an 86k aviator.
Bruh?
oh snap. I thought that said Land "Rover" - my apologies.
AgLiving06
I'm curious if anybody has any real updates on the Aviator based on ownership?
kcag96
AG
Bumping to get user input on the Aviator. Also, is there a TexAgs Lincoln hookup?
lotsofhp
AG
I've seen a few Aviators on the road and they are really beautiful. Fist time I saw one I told my wife (who could care less about what she drives and wants to drive her current civic until the wheels fall off) I'd found her next car.

But $86K!? WT actual F

I know this gripe is as old as time, but pricing on stuff these days is depressing. I'm very diligent with our finances and do everything that should put my family ahead and to be able to have a few nice things. But it seems like no matter the progress we make, prices will just keep going up at a rate that they'll always be out of reach.
kcag96
AG
I hear ya. We looked at a Reserve last night and has everything we would want at $59,000, better price than the Platinum Explorer and much quieter. Just wondering if there's a good contact that is willing to negotiate.
AgLiving06
True car shows a 55-56k range for the Reserve is a good price.

I'm interested in these as well.

Thing that has me hesitant is they just launched and the launch didn't go well.
kcag96
AG
Wasn't aware of a bad launch, I'll look into it.

One shocking feature that the Reserve has is a lack of sunroof. Can't tell you how pleased we were to find it.
Buck Turgidson
My experience is that the three Houston Lincoln dealers are a bunch of *******s, with West Point Lincoln being the least scummy. I ended up driving to San Antonio to get my most recent purchase from North Park Lincoln.
ktownag08
AG
Went in to Plant Lincoln off 45N to look at Aviators earlier in the week and was pleasantly surprised at the good treatment. Now we didn't talk numbers, but more than accommodating to let me see everything I wanted to.
AgLiving06
Buck

I'm curious what problems you had with the Houston dealers?
drumboy
AG
lotsofhp said:

I've seen a few Aviators on the road and they are really beautiful. Fist time I saw one I told my wife (who could care less about what she drives and wants to drive her current civic until the wheels fall off) I'd found her next car.

But $86K!? WT actual F

I know this gripe is as old as time, but pricing on stuff these days is depressing. I'm very diligent with our finances and do everything that should put my family ahead and to be able to have a few nice things. But it seems like no matter the progress we make, prices will just keep going up at a rate that they'll always be out of reach.

Because that's what people will pay.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.