2018 F-150 Oil Leak Problem/Advice Needed

7,551 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DeWrecking Crew
Pigtails
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags,

TLDR: Dealer didn't tighten oil cap, led to 3 quarts of oil leaking, cam shaft failure and other problems found, want advice on what to do.

So here's the story. Bought 2018 F-150 April 2018. Brought it in to same dealership I bought it from and had oil change (around 5800 miles). A couple of days later, my Dad calls me and tells me to pull over as there is alot of oil in his driveway where I parked. I made it home but had the truck towed into the dealership due to the leak. Long story short, 3.5 quarts of oil had leaked. They fixed the problem, gave me another oil change, did an engine test and everything seemed fine.

A week ago (15,000 miles later), I start hearing a bad knocking sound when I cold start the truck. It rattled for about 2 seconds after starting the vehicle. Did not sounds good. Took it in and they made the following repairs:

-Replaced all VCT solenoids
-Removed valve covers to find he can rotate camshaft separate from phasers about 90 degrees
-Removed front timing cover and replaced all 4 camshaft phasers/sprockets
-Timing chain tensioner found sticking
-Replaced Number 1 coil on due to being stuck in cylinder head

I asked the service manager what would cause all of these repairs. He said "Low Oil pressure at some point". So I'm fairly confident my oil change leak helped caused these problems.

From the above, it seems they disassembled most of the engine. My questions are the following:

1. Should I be concerned about these repairs?
2. Should I ask for an extended warranty from the dealership since they f****d it up?
3. Should I run like he** and see if they will exchange for newer vehicle/trade in for newer vehicle?
DeWrecking Crew
Just to be Captain Obvious here...you realize you are trusting a dealership that can not change the oil properly to do major engine repairs, right?

I would definitely be pushing for an extended warranty on the engine. If they don't give you one, you might consider buying one. But before you buy one, go to corporate Ford if the dealer doesn't budge to see if they'll give you one.
aggie_wes
AG
I'd push to get a really good deal on a new truck.
BrazosDog02
AG
Dill-Ag13
AG
Innnnnnn
CDUB98
AG
aggie_wes said:

I'd push to get a really good deal on a new truck.

THIS
cajuncarguy
Ex Ford dealer here. Ex service manager and consultant to auto dealer service departments for 30 years.

1) The reason they changed the coil pack was stuck is because it melted! Your engine got that hot. It is aluminum block and heads. That amount of heat can cause some damage to aluminum.

2) What engine? The redesigned 5.0 for 2018 is already having problems without your oil/overheating problem added in. They removed the steel cylinder liners to save weight (8 lbs) and used some hi tech spray. If you have an early 2018 5.0 it will greatly complicate your problem..

3) Go back to dealer and demand a new engine. IF you don't get satisfaction call Ford customer service and do not take no for an answer. AN offer for an extended warranty is not a fix and will expire at some time. You and a new engine.

CATAGBQ04
AG
You realize the oil change morons and the lead technicians are different people right?

The guys from the quick change weren't the ones that did the repairs.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
CATAGBQ04 said:

You realize the oil change morons and the lead technicians are different people right?

X2

Also, everyone starts working at Quicklane....no experience required.

I would ask for an extended warranty for Powertrain.
DeWrecking Crew
1agswitchin4lanes said:

CATAGBQ04 said:

X2

While true, you're giving the dealership a pass in its procedures and processes, if they don't have procedures in place to prevent simple stuff like this, why would you have confidence in the rest of the operation. To me this screams incompetence for the whole department
Pigtails
AG
I have the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost.
Pigtails
AG
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'm going to push for new truck even if I have to take a bit of a financial hit. Peace of mind.
vansprinkle
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

CATAGBQ04 said:

X2

While true, you're giving the dealership a pass in its procedures and processes, if they don't have procedures in place to prevent simple stuff like this, why would you have confidence in the rest of the operation. To me this screams incompetence for the whole department

Procedures and processes are only as good as the people following them. I'd bet their procedure and process on an oil change includes screwing the filler cap back on.
DeWrecking Crew
vansprinkle said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

CATAGBQ04 said:

X2

Procedures and processes are only as good as the people following them. I'd bet their procedure and process on an oil change includes screwing the filler cap back on.

If that's the case, their procedure for hiring good people has failed
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Pigtails said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'm going to push for new truck even if I have to take a bit of a financial hit. Peace of mind.
I'd get the service manager and maybe the dealership general manager involved.

Document everything.

Sadly, I dont see the dealership "giving" you a new truck for your troubles, unless you get an attorney involved, even then, I dont see them doing that to "make you whole".

You may get an offer to replace the engine with a rebuilt or used engine, and/or an extended warranty to give you peace of mind, but I could be wrong.

Have you already started communicating with the dealership management about it?
suburban cowboy
AG
The same thing happened to a friend in his 2017 platty except he caught his when it happened.
Pigtails
AG
Update: Spoke with the dealership manager. They are denying everything. The fact that the oil leak is not correlated to my engine problems. Said they are not responsible.

A four second alarm came on in my truck yesterday on the way home. No indication lights or anything. Happened two separate times.

Should I escalate to Ford? Just trade it in and take the loss?
CDUB98
AG
Escalate
DeWrecking Crew
Did he deny it without speaking to anyone to get the details from the service department? You mentioned going 15000 miles in between when the original occurrence happened and the failure, were the oil changes in between done at the same dealership? But to answer your question, you most assuredly need to escalate, possibly even get an attorney involved.
FamousAgg
Did they not tighten the oil cap or the drain plug?
Pigtails
AG
Oil cap
Pigtails
AG
Is it worth the money of an attorney for a $5,000 loss on a new truck? That's what I have to ask myself. All the while still driving this thing when I'm trying to escalate.
CDUB98
AG
A new engine will likely be more that $5,000 retail.
DeWrecking Crew
Do you really think you're only going to take a $5000 bath? If so, I guess that's up to you, whether it's worth the hassle. You might want to see if anything shows up on Carfax. Who paid for all the repairs, was that Ford warranty repair, or did the dealership pay for it?

Just FYI, if it goes that far, Texas is a state where you can seek attorney fees as part of the judgement
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.