Opinion on buying a used car from Avis, Hertz, Enterprise Car Sales?

4,251 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Max Power
Temple Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seeing that they come with a 12 mo/12000 mi warranty on top of the factory warranty, what do you think? Thanks in advance. It is a car for my 16 year old daughter that will go 10 miles to & from school essentially.
slappy
AG
Hard pass for me. May not be well maintained, and too many shenanigans.
Picard
AG
The Lost
Get a cheaper older more used and more taken care of almost anywhere else.
EMY92
AG
If you're the type of person comfortable with marrying a hooker, then it's not a bad choice.
UnderoosAg
AG
The difference between a 4x4 and a rental car is you can take the rental car anywhere.
Temple Ag
AG
So, I'll take your replies as a "maybe".
chimpanzee
The market knows things.

It's harder to find a low mile couple year old Suburban or Yukon XL that wasn't a rental, but when you do, they will be priced higher by the same dealer selling the ex-rentals that they picked up at auction. One can't be certain that the perception is justified, but there is a discount for the expectation that the vehicle had been beat on for its entire life.
Duncan Idaho
I wouldn't buy a sporty rental or a low cost cars.

I wouldn't have a problem with a minivan, van, or non sporty sedan.
Temple Ag
AG
I'm thinking Kia Sportage, Hyundai Kona, etc.
Joe Exotic
AG
I drive rentals more carefully than my own because I worry about the damage hassle
EMY92
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I wouldn't buy a sporty rental or a low cost cars.

I wouldn't have a problem with a minivan, van, or non sporty sedan.
I've seen a rental Taurus go airborne in a Vegas parking garage.
AgCPA95
AG
Bo Darville said:

I drive rentals more carefully than my own because I worry about the damage hassle
After traveling quite a bit for the past 20 years and being around a ton of other travelers renting cars most of those weeks, I can assure you that you are in the minority.

I've always heard the mantra that rental companies take good care of their fleet maintenance wise, but it makes very little economic sense to me as they typically ditch them before things really start to haunt you from poor maintenance.

I remember reading someone on this board who was familiar with a rental company doing very minimal maintenance on their fleet - like one mid life oil change and another right at the end so it appears "clean". Makes sense as I'm sure it would be good for their crappy 12 month/12k mile warranty....I would worry about 50-75k miles+.

ReloadAg
AG
We bought a CPO Camry a few years back from a Toyota dealer that was a former rental. I was a little skeptical but it had the 100,000 power train warranty so I had some peace of mind there. We put 50,000 trouble free miles on it but I probably wouldn't buy a former rental again. It just always seemed a bit "off" to me like the quality wasn't as good as a non rental. Maybe that year of Camry (2012) wasn't as good as others but that's my impression.

We recently sold it too and I don't think it negatively effected resale on it.
murphyag
AG
Had a former rental car in college. Would never buy one again. Think it had unreported damage. Never could get it completely aligned.
fightingfarmer09
I have driven fleet vehicles for work for my entire career. Company never blinks at maintenance that I deem fit. In the agriculture industry it is pretty standard perk.

In all but one instance these were "leased" through an Enterprise type company.

So having said that, would I buy a rental car? No.

Would I buy a fleet car that was assigned to an individual? Yes. We have done it several times and had a great experience.
OnlyForNow
AG
Ya but that's different. The first scenario is like marrying a Las Vegas hooker, the second is like marrying a nice lady who was previously married once for a few years and it just didn't work out.
mandevilleag
My vanpool van is through Enterprise. We take care of the maintenance (Enterprise pays for us to take it to the local oil change place). We're pretty dang easy on that van and they replace it every two years with a new one.
Texasclipper
AG
Rental cars do get beat on, but i wouldn't dismiss them completely if the price and warranty is right. I bought a beater Malibu with 75000 miles on it that was originally a rental. I was the third owner. It was fine, although it the trans dumped at 110,000. I asked the trans guy if being a rental was a factor and he said no, that the the transmissions on those cars dump between 100K and 150K.

I've known others who have bought these cars and they were fine. Just get a 100K power train warranty.
Bob_Ag
AG
Man, I have been in a lot of rentals with less than 10K miles that drove like ***** Not a freaking chance.
'03ag
All cars are different.

We just bought a 2018 Odyssey CPO. We bought the car before they'd finished the CPO "reconditioning" so they gave us a loaner out of their used fleet for a couple of days while they finished up.

Our 2018 has 33k miles and looks brand new inside and out. It drives like new as well. You would not know know it wasn't a brand new car except for some wear on the cupholders.

Our loaner was a 2017 Odyssey with 3k FEWER miles than our 2018. It looked and drove like total dog s***. I was blown away by how terrible the car was. Sliding doors not working properly, ratty suspension, creaky interior bits, horrible shifting. The engine was smooth but that was its only redeeming quality. Blindfolded I would've sworn it had 130k miles instead of 30k. It was not a former rental. Just a car they took in trade from a customer that clearly abuses their cars.

No car, no matter who makes it, is going to stand up to abuse. And an abused car will show the signs no matter how young it is, or who owned it previously. Pay attention when test driving. Turn off the radio and listen. Have it checked out by a mechanic. If the price is right and you're comfortable with the warranty then it's probably fine.
coolerguy12
AG
UnderoosAg said:

The difference between a 4x4 and a rental car is you can take the rental car anywhere.

I laughed at this way more than I should have. And as a recipient of sedans multiple times in midland after requesting a truck, I can verify, they go anywhere.
permabull
AG
The Fife
My inlaws continue to buy them because they're cheaper than the others, and they continue to have weird problems with things not being right or breaking down early. They never learn but that's how they go in general.

I wouldn't buy one because more than often you're looking at a stripper model or something with loads of depreciation from too many of them being a fleet car (see: almost anything Chrysler) that you could get a better deal on anyway.
lb3
AG
John Francis Donaghy
coolerguy12 said:

UnderoosAg said:

I laughed at this way more than I should have. And as a recipient of sedans multiple times in midland after requesting a truck, I can verify, they go anywhere.

Yep. I'll chime in that Chrysler Pacifica rental minivans do just fine at 60mph on dirt and gravel Canadian logging roads.

If you use rental cars often enough, you'll understand why so many of us would never even consider buying one. The odds of a rental car going its entire rental life without someone overusing, mistreating, or doing something stupid in it is close to zero.
LOYAL AG
AG
I once got air in a 1990 Chevy 3-cylinder POS rental.

I once had a Nissan Maxima rental well over 100 on I-35 in Dallas. Well over 100. To the point where the guy with me was like, "OK, slow down, please!"

I had a coworker who liked to yank the rental's e-brake at 45+ MPH when there was no traffic.

The same coworker liked to run them out of washer fluid and refill it with beer.

That's just what I've seen. I'm certain they get worse.

No way. None.
Max Power
AG
One thing about prior rentals is you might never know if it sustained significant damage. If the renter bought the insurance and it was in a single vehicle accident it won't show up on the insurance claim reporting services. They do not maintain them as well as you think they might, and most renters don't care whose car it is. Hard pass
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.