Help Buying Used Car

1,426 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CaptnCarl
CaptnCarl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi Automotive board!

I am looking to buy a used vehicle from a private seller in Utah. I live in Texas. The vehicle is an 80's model collector type vehicle.

Can anybody give me advise on how to do the title exchange, especially out of state? I found a mechanic to go do a prebuy inspection. Assuming the vehicle is in the condition I believe, I need advise about how to do the title check and the sell agreement.
The Wonderer
AG
Give the seller a Bill of Sale and cash and he gives you car and title.

Bring to Texas.

Get inspection.

Apply for title and pay sales tax (SPV). (get seller to sign)
https://www.txdmv.gov/reports-and-data/doc_download/998-form-130-u-application-for-texas-title-and-or-registration

Enjoy car.
txyaloo
AG
The Wonderer said:

Give the seller a Bill of Sale and cash and he gives you car and title.

Bring to Texas.

Get inspection.

Apply for title and pay sales tax (SPV).

Enjoy car.
You left out the 130-U (application for title) that has to be signed by the seller. OP will need that before they can register the vehicle.
The Wonderer
AG
Ah, good catch. Placed the link in my post.
CaptnCarl
AG
Thanks. I saw the 130 form on the TXDOT website. A few other questions. Do I pay sales tax in Utah? What about insurance and license plate? And do I create a Bill of sale from a website like forms.com, or is there a specific one from each state?
The Wonderer
AG
CaptnCarl said:

Thanks. I saw the 130 form on the TXDOT website. A few other questions. Do I pay sales tax in Utah? What about insurance and license plate? And do I create a Bill of sale from a website like forms.com, or is there a specific one from each state?
You'll pay taxes and get plates when you go to the tax assessor-collector and submit your title paperwork.

Any bill of sale will suffice, be sure to include:

• date
  • seller & address
  • buyer & address
  • sales price
  • make & model
  • VIN
txyaloo
AG
CaptnCarl said:

If you plan to drive it back, and the current owner takes the plates, you can get a 30 day temp tag from the Texas DMV website. That'll give you enough time to get it back to Texas and inspected/registered.

Most insurance policies will cover a new purchase for XX days before having to add the vehicle to the policy. You might check with yours. I've also had vehicles I didn't have the title to covered under my insurance. No idea what would have happened if I had an accident, but the state never had any issues with it.
JBLHAG03
AG
Advice>advise.
CaptnCarl
AG
Sheesh! I've been worrying my spelling was going awry due to autocorrect.
aggiepaintrain
AG
run a carfax and make sure the title number on the last recorded title matches the one the seller has

now let's guess... Porsche 911?
hatchback
AG
Your spelling is fine. It's your grammar that needs some help.
CaptnCarl
AG
Thanks, I'll do that.

Nope '87 Cruiser.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.