Shelby Cobra Kit Car

2,556 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by highvelocity
drumboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have the chance to buy a non-completed Cobra kit car and there's no way I can swing it with the house that we're building but a brother can dream.

It's the body/brakes/suspension and AFAIK needs the fuel pump/engine/tran.ny/wheels and a paint job. What's a ballpark estimate for those if I went w/ a hopped up Ford small block? I think a coyote V8 is an option but I'm guessing that would be more pricey.

Obviously this is the color scheme I'd go with:
ac04
aggieforester05
AG
Gen 2 coyote out of a truck, mated to a TR-6060, custom grind cams, LT headers, no cats or kooks green cats, billet oil pump gears and cam sprocket, and a Whipple 2.9L with fuel system to match.
Tim Weaver
I'll go on record saying that a short, lightweight car is way more fun to drive when it has LESS horsepower. A basic 289/302 with a high rpm build would be a riot.

Get too much HP/TQ in that chassis and all you do is fight for traction and it's no longer fun.
Duncan Idaho
You aren't alone in that feeling.

And I will add that there is nothing sadder than a kit car that is bought finished. I get no doing the paint but outsourcing the rest of it, is just sad
aggieforester05
AG
A cobra kit car with the 5.2L voodoo would be pretty sick if you have the means.
Trinity Ag
S
Duncan Idaho said:

You aren't alone in that feeling.

And I will add that there is nothing sadder than a kit car that is bought finished. I get no doing the paint but outsourcing the rest of it, is just sad
Buying someone's half-finished, half-botched project might make you a lot sadder than buying one finished.

Even if you have the skills to do everything, just figuring out what is there, what has to be redone, and what is left to do sounds like a nightmare.

Maybe I've watched too much Velocity TV...
03_Aggie
What kit is it?
Guitarsoup
AG
No way I would buy a kit that someone abandoned unless I personally knew them and followed their build. Who knows what shortcuts they took or what they effed up.

They are abandoning it after hundreds of hours of work and taking a loss. The car is a headache, and you don't want to buy someone else's headache and not even know their problems.
03_Aggie
Guitarsoup said:

No way I would buy a kit that someone abandoned unless I personally knew them and followed their build. Who knows what shortcuts they took or what they effed up.

They are abandoning it after hundreds of hours of work and taking a loss. The car is a headache, and you don't want to buy someone else's headache and not even know their problems.

No engine, ****** or wheels? They likely don't have any hours in it and that's the reason they're parting with it...
drumboy
AG
Dude was a bank CEO with a few other hot rods that didn't really spare expenses so I'm not worried about shoddy work....
drumboy
AG
It's a Factory Five MK4 Roadster with IRS suspension and a Tremec T5 tr@nny. All it needs is an engine and a paint job.

I agree on the less power more fun. Buddy has a 68 Z28 with a blown 502 and every time I drive it I'm just spinning tires the whole time under 70. I'd want a nice small block with a lope.
03_Aggie
My dad found an old 302 out of a truck and had it rebuilt with a 347 stroker kit.
Tim Weaver
drumboy said:

It's a Factory Five MK4 Roadster with IRS suspension and a Tremec T5 tr@nny. All it needs is an engine and a paint job.

I agree on the less power more fun. Buddy has a 68 Z28 with a blown 502 and every time I drive it I'm just spinning tires the whole time under 70. I'd want a nice small block with a lope.
Cool. FF is about the best thing going right now for these kinds of cars. Since it aready has the T5 it seems like it's just begging for a little windsor!

Like Hnnggggg.....
https://speedmaster79.com/ford-351w-windsor-downdraft-8-stack-efi-intake-manifold-system-complete-polished/
RynoAg
AG
I have nothing constructive to add other than...
Guitarsoup
AG
Don't get something boring and obvious like a coyote, Windsor, or 428 interceptor. Be unique and put a Northstar in that bad boy.
Tim Weaver
I wonder if a 2J has ever been put in a cobra chassis?

Old guys would be soiling golf pants, cats and dogs living together, fires, floods........
Flaith
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Don't get something boring and obvious like a coyote, Windsor, or 428 interceptor. Be unique and put a Northstar in that bad boy.
and make it FWD!
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Buying someone's half-finished, half-botched project might make you a lot sadder than buying one finished.
Son bought a '74 Nova that was a project. When we replaced the carb, we found that the previous owner had replaced the steel linkage between the primaries and secondaries with kite string.
highvelocity
AG
im looking to get a toy at the end of the year - i saw one recently in dallas and thought humph.. now that would be a fun today. an inexpensive / one that needs work would definitely be on the short list when the time comes
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.