Increasing size of manufacturers' symbols on cars.

4,931 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 1939
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone notice a gradual trend towards much larger manufactures logos or symbols on vehicles? The Mercedes "peace" symbol, the Bow tie, the Ford Oval, the Mazda M thing, etc. looking at late model vehicles vs stuff from 5-10 years ago, the logos seem to be getting huge.

I understand branding and passive advertising but isn't it getting a little ridiculous to expect your customers to drive around a rolling billboard? I mean Mercedes drivers obviously aside, it's getting a little obnoxious, right?
powerbelly
AG
It isn't nearly as obnoxious as dealership branding on cars.
concac
AG
powerbelly said:

That's the first thing I remove when I take the car home.
C Loves L
RealTalk said:

powerbelly said:

That's the first thing I remove when I take the car home.

Me too

I also do not like the over sized emblems
Complete Idiot
Moving back to massive hood ornaments?
drumboy
AG
I'll allow it.

The Lost

this is the only one (outside of dealer stuff mentioned already) that i dont like because its ugly. The tailgates are really the only place i notice them.
FarmerJohn
AG
It's a terrible trend and needs to stop.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Yeah, I agree. Obnoxious as *****

Keep waiting for this trend to reverse but it is still headed in the wrong direction.
WildcatAg
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Anyone notice a gradual trend towards much larger manufactures logos or symbols on vehicles?

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Broba Fett
Centerpole90
AG
With a few exceptions Chevrolet has almost always had an endgate wide branding from behind. The most annoying thing on the new one posted above is the font. Robocop is not an acceptable font.
An Ag in CO
AG
The worst offender.

Porsche 1970:

[url=][/url]

Porsche 2019:

Duncan Idaho
Complete Idiot said:

I would fully support this. It doesn't need to be the giant chrome and glass works of art like the spirit of ecstasy or the Pontiac chief but a 3d Ram or jaguar or a stand up rifle sight or dutchess would be awesome.
The Lost
Duncan Idaho said:

Complete Idiot said:

I would fully support this. It doesn't need to be the giant chrome and glass works of art like the spirit of ecstasy or the Pontiac chief but a 3d Ram or jaguar or a stand up rifle sight or dutchess would be awesome.
just think about how much that ram would reduce mpg's and increase flammability. probably a no go. would be cool though.
The Kraken
AG
Complete Idiot said:

So kids and hoodlums can rip them off?
Duncan Idaho
New World Ag said:

Complete Idiot said:

So kids and hoodlums can rip them off?

htxag09
AG
I kind of like the new backlit Mercedes logos.
1208HawkTree
AG
htxag09 said:

I can't stand those. I've also only seen them on the lower end models...Maybe for those that really want to say "hey, I drive a Benz."
The Fife
Logos have gotten way too big now, it never used to be a problem before.

MikesFamousJava
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Mercedes "peace" symbol
It's not a peace symbol. It is a three-pointed star representing the brand's desire to manufacture vehicles for land, air, and sea. I learned that on this forum, but I cannot find the original post. The article linked in that post is linked below...I found it quite interesting and informative.

https://hiconsumption.com/2018/08/history-evolution-of-car-logos/
TMoney2007
AG
1208HawkTree said:

htxag09 said:

I can't stand those. I've also only seen them on the lower end models...Maybe for those that really want to say "hey, I drive a Benz."
That's what the regular ones say... The lighted ones want to say "HEY EVERYBODY, LOOK AT ME! I DRIVE A MERCEDES!!!"
Roger350
AG
Why can't Ford find blue paint that won't fade completely off their 14" wide blue ovals in 5 years or less? What kind of marketing message does it send when your enormous logo is defective?
The Fife
Roger350 said:

Why can't Ford find blue paint that won't fade completely off their 14" wide blue ovals in 5 years or less? What kind of marketing message does it send when your enormous logo is defective?
Same with BMW, have they found a way to fix that yet?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Roger350 said:

Because people take them to car washes where the attendant hits it with acid to remove bug guts, 150psi of pressure washer, followed by more acid to remove bug guts that didn't come off, and then the finest push broom/scrubber brush available.

Synopsis
I kind of like the Mazda logo.
Caladan
Keep in mind that many logos located in the central front of the vehicle are larger because they are a cover for the radar module in the safety sensing equipment that is appearing in more and more vehicles.
TexAg2016
AG
1208HawkTree said:

htxag09 said:

Nowhere near as cool as these super cool LED bro-lights.

Roger350
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Roger350 said:

Because people take them to car washes where the attendant hits it with acid to remove bug guts, 150psi of pressure washer, followed by more acid to remove bug guts that didn't come off, and then the finest push broom/scrubber brush available.

Not a lot of bugs on the rear ones that seem to fade just as quickly, but car washes probably are a contributor. It just seems comical to me that they have gone out of their way to make the blue ovals enormous, but they haven't put any effort into making them more fade resistant.
Cassius
The Mercedes one is really noticeable. That thing is huge now.
EMY92
AG
Hadn't noticed.

AG
The Lost said:

this is the only one (outside of dealer stuff mentioned already) that i dont like because its ugly. The tailgates are really the only place i notice them.
Haven't seen one of the new ones where the letters are painted, they are almost all the same color as the truck, this must be aftermarket. It is interesting that they aren't putting the bowtie on the tailgate on this generation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.