70 Chevelle Restoration

69,312 Views | 363 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by stbabs
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
stbabs said:

Square Body, some shots of the truck you spotted in the background. Still needs some trim and a white pinstripe.

OH, MY HEART.

What year is that? It's the spitting image of my old '79. Same blue and everything.
stbabs
AG
It's an 86. 350 engine with a 350 lockup trans
Maximus_Meridius
AG
That is absolutely gorgeous, well done!
gigem70
AG
Beautiful SS. Have really enjoyed following your restoration.
TxSquarebody
stbabs said:

Aggietaco said:

What's next?

I have 3 potential restoration projects waiting in the wings.

1. A 1950 Ford F-1. I restored it back in the 90s but it needs some spiffing up. My bad, but it hasn't been run enough and points are corroded, carb needs a rebuild.

2. My Dad's 85 Ford F-150. Sitting for 12 years, rust in door panels, will need complete interior, some metal replacement, engine rebuild and paint. Not sure if I'll do it frame off or not.

3. Ford 3000 tractor, also my Dad's. I tore it down, had the engine machined, life happened and it's still in pieces.

All 3 will have to wait until my land clearing project is finished.

#1 and #2 need a coyote/six speed swap! We just finished the swap in a bull nose and are working on a 49. We have files in the plasma table to cut mounts for you. There are also a couple of tricks to getting it all in there...we have that figured out too.
Floor it until you see God
stbabs
AG
The 50 F-1 has the original 239 cu in 100 horse flathead. All stock except a conversion bell housing that allowed me to bolt on a 4 speed Saginaw.
I like playing with the old flatheads; so simple.

I have another flathead on a stand; bored and ready for a rebuild. Dreamed about finding a 36 Ford coupe to drop it in. Haven't found the body yet. There's fiberglass stuff but I want a real original steel body.

If I put any real modern power in the 50 I'd have to update the suspension, steering and rear ended. The old straight axle and original steering gear wouldn't get along with modern power/speed.

Might consider that when I get around to the 85.
TxSquarebody
Love those flatheads too! Real hotrods don't have valve covers! Stroked with a mercury crank, a 3/8 potvin cam, a 3 pot, some port relief...fun little engine! Best one I ever built had an Isky 404 cam. Had to use hollow lifters that were radiused on the cam mating surface and slotted for a keyway to prevent rotation. The 404 cam has a squared off lobe peak. Installed mouse traps to help control the valves. Little engine ran on 100% nitromethane. It was a rebuild of the engine my late friend had in an altered coupe he set records in during the 50's.
Floor it until you see God
stbabs
AG
Looks like I don't have to explain flatheads to you!
Most folks have heard of em but never seen one.
Not surprising since Ford dropped em for OHV engines in 1954.

Although I said yesterday that I wasn't gonna play with the 50 for a while, late yesterday I pulled the plugs, sprayed in some PB Blaster and turned the engine by hand. A little stiff at first but it's turning free and easy.

I sprayed the cylinders with lubricant when I stored the truck 3 years ago and refreshed it occasionally. No reason for it to seize.

Drained the old gas and sprayed the carb.

I'll put in new points and condenser next week and see if she wants to run.

Guess I need another thread for the 50. Kinda crossbreeding Ford and Chevy talking flatheads on a Chevelle thread.
DTAG01
AG
Beautiful car, nice work! I also noticed the 86 C10 in the pic, great looking truck! I've got an 86 K20 project and looking for recs for paint/body and interior. Who did the work on your 86?
stbabs
AG
The 86 isn't mine. Belongs to a guy in Nacogdoches.
Full frame off resto done by David Pate who has a small shop west of Timpson on FM 1970.
Good guy, quality work. He usually takes on one, maybe two projects at a time.
Also has a wrecker service which frequently pulls him away so his resto projects get slowed a bit
Dr.Rumack
Hey AgForLife. I'm selling the '68 Firebird. Make me an offer?
Sorry to hijack the thread,?just stalked your posts.
stbabs
AG
Reviving this old thread with a heads up for anyone in the midst of a restoration.

As posted earlier, the two year resto was finished and I'm very pleased with the result. Panels are straight, seams are at least as good as they were 50 years ago when new, interior great.

Then I take it on its first real "away from home" ride, 20 miles down to Nac for lunch.

Cruising at 70, ride is smooth, 396 is purring.

Then it wasn't. It died. Then it would start, idle but not take fuel, sputter and die. WTH??!!

Suspected the fuel injection system; FAST EZ EFI. Trailered it back home. Started diagnostics with the fuel injection. Called the FAST tech line, did everything they recommended and it still wouldn't take fuel. Fuel pressure was low.

Bottom line: The fuel filter was clogged. Totally clogged with gritty, powdery trash.

Brand new gas tank apparently had some sort of residue from the factory. Ordered 4 new fuel filters. Will likely need them all before all the crud is outta the tank.

When you think your restoration is finished, it's not.
TxSquarebody
Unless you win a Riddler award, you almost never get finished.
stbabs
AG
TxSquarebody said:

Unless you win a Riddler award, you almost never get finished.

Very true.
BTW, the 4 fuel filters I ordered..... $55 each. Ouch!!

Can't order just the filter element. Have to get the housing and element.

Putting a camera in the tank tomorrow to see if there's still crud in the tank. If so, I'm pulling the tank to clean it. Brand new tank. Max suckage!!
stbabs
AG
https://imgur.com/a/FyzHtBN

OOPS! Wrong thread!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.