Looking for new Mid-size SUV

4,163 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by YouBet
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The new Honda Passport looks sharp as well, but it doesn't have 3rd row seating. Honestly, that is a plus for us.

Flaith
AG
Passport is supposed to be more of a 4Runner competitor, but in true Honda fashion... it won't be, and it will still be soft
KW02
AG
Quote:

Didn't see anyone say it, which is a little surprising, but I don't think it would be necessarily accurate to state a brand new vehicle is a "better option" than retaining a 2011 with 90K miles. Now, I understand there are lots of considerations and perhaps financial isn't the main one for y'all, but a 2011 with 90k miles should still have plenty of life and not high expenses yet - not to the point of being equivalent to new vehicle payments over the course of a year anyway.
Over the past few months we have had to fix issues with the AC, engine mounts, the starter, and ignition coils and the catalytic converter. Sure, it might last longer but but worth the hassle of having things continue to fail and be repaired, having to take it in and have to not have a vehicle each time it has to go into the shop.

cr
KW02 said:

Quote:

Didn't see anyone say it, which is a little surprising, but I don't think it would be necessarily accurate to state a brand new vehicle is a "better option" than retaining a 2011 with 90K miles. Now, I understand there are lots of considerations and perhaps financial isn't the main one for y'all, but a 2011 with 90k miles should still have plenty of life and not high expenses yet - not to the point of being equivalent to new vehicle payments over the course of a year anyway.
Over the past few months we have had to fix issues with the AC, engine mounts, the starter, and ignition coils and the catalytic converter. Sure, it might last longer but but worth the hassle of having things continue to fail and be repaired, having to take it in and have to not have a vehicle each time it has to go into the shop.

Wow.
AG
Flaith said:

Passport is supposed to be more of a 4Runner competitor, but in true Honda fashion... it won't be, and it will still be soft
Lol at that thing being a competitor to a 4Runner
KW02
AG
Exactly. I'm done with the Acadia. However there have been no problems up until recently.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
KW02 said:

Exactly. I'm done with the Acadia. However there have been no problems up until recently.

The lambda based SUVs are the worst.
Bob_Ag
AG
My wife is on her second Sorento. Great car, great warranty, and extremely reliable. Kia has come a really long way.
agdaddy04
AG
Got an Atlas for the wife in May and she loves it. I like it , the only thing that kind of annoys me is the way that it shifts when starting from a stop.
ktownag08
AG
I'll go against the crowd on the Atlas. Space wise, it's great. I'm over 6 ft and fit in all rows. It drove fine.

However, I couldn't get over how cheap the interior materials looked and felt overall. Maybe I just had higher expectations going in, but I was underwhelmed to say the least. I drove it for almost a week as a brand new rental car (it had 6 miles on it when they gave it to me), and it wasn't just a base model either. After the week, I still walked away with the same impression
agdaddy04
AG
My guess is then that you're typically in higher end vehicles? I'm not fooled into thinking it's a luxury vehicle by any means but it's the nicest thing we've owned and serves our needs well.
MikesFamousJava
AG
Another vote here for the Mazda CX-9. You should at least drive one. As for the cargo capacity , I've never had any issues, and I have a family of five including 3 teenagers. I never want for storage on a daily basis, and I use a roof-mounted cargo carrier for long trips.
ktownag08
AG
I am from time to time, but don't own a higher end vehicle. I'm in plenty of lower end rental cars too that have a nicer interior.

Anyways, just another opinion to throw into the mix...
drumboy
AG
You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least consider a used wagon and there are aftermarket 3rd row jump seats available.

aTm2004
AG
drumboy said:

You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least consider a used wagon and there are aftermarket 3rd row jump seats available.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2014-mercedes-benz-e-class-11/
drumboy
AG
aTm2004 said:

drumboy said:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2014-mercedes-benz-e-class-11/
Don't think that I did not see that listing last month.... My power wagon lusts were activated.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Cardiag said:

Just get the Highlander and don't worry about it for 10 years. Bought an MDX 3 years ago and already got rid of it. Stranded me on the road twice. Build quality and reliability in Acura is not what it once was.

Curious as to more info on the reliability of Acura now. Will be in this same market in the next 6-12 mos and really was between the Highlander and MDX since they seem comparably priced and what I thought would be comparably reliable.
YouBet
AG
My mom and dad bought a Highlander and hated it so much they flat out returned it within about 6 months. Bought a Santa Fe XL instead. Granted, this was 3-4 years ago.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.