What do we know about the Infiniti G37

4,224 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by hatchback
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A former co worker just bought his wife a different car and is going to sell her Infiniti G37 soon. He doesn't know much about it other than it's somewhere around a 2013 or 14 model year with maybe around 65,000 miles or so. I'm thinking of taking a look at it in order to get something more fun to drive than my 2012 Camry. What do yall think about that car around that time period?
Maverick06
AG
We had a 2012. Was an awesome car. Sold it when we added the second child because I couldn't drive it with car seats in the back. Would buy another.
ReloadAg
AG
Is the back seat pretty tight? We have two kids in car seats (1 facing forward and the other will soon be facing forward). My wife is the one who primarily drives the kids around in her Odyssey and that's the vehicle we take when we go somewhere as a family but I do pick up and drop off kids at school a couple of times per week in my car.
Maverick06
AG
Depends how tall you are. I'm 6'2" and it was a little tight. It would definitely work for just grocery getting and picking up from school and such. My wife was hauling them around and we traveled in it so didn't work for us. To be completely honest it was probably a way for my wife to get in a Yukon she had her eyes on.
ReloadAg
AG
Makes sense. I'm only about 5'9" so it sounds like it'd work for me.
Doug Collins
AG
I have an '09 and with front facing carseats you should be fine. Rear facing, not so much. Otherwise, I have really enjoyed owning it and haven't had any issues.
lb3
AG
PMD03
AG
Had a 2008 (or maybe a 9) coupe. Fun to drive. Very impractical in coupe form. May as well have just had a 370z as the back seats were hard to use and the trunk opening small. Sedan would solve both of those issues. Went from it to a C6 Corvette and didn't feel like I lost any daily driver usability.

Those were the only negatives. It was a very fun and good looking car.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Its a 4 Door 370Z. Decently reliable, but some of the little things will have issues, such as dashboards cracking, the plastic/rubber coated trim around the door pulls and steering wheel will peel, and the spark plugs require throttle body removal to access on both sides.

Doug Collins
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Its a 4 Door 370Z. Decently reliable, but some of the little things will have issues, such as dashboards cracking, the plastic/rubber coated trim around the door pulls and steering wheel will peel, and the spark plugs require throttle body removal to access on both sides.

Also the gauge cluster LEDs tend to go out
Dill-Ag13
AG
Has Senor Manuel too. If I get tired of fixing my R it'd make a great daily.

sjn
AG
I've been driving a 2010 for 8 years now. Great car. Really like it.

I'm 6'0" and it is definitely tight with a car seat behind the driver. Tolerable for picking up from school, but wouldn't do anything more than that.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Infinity has some of the softest paint around so if you get it, find a good detailer and have him do a good paint correction with the best wax/sealant he has. Then, keep it up.
wxguy95
AG
I drive a 2003 G35 coupe that I bought new. Has 194K on it now - didn't replace the clutch until 160k.

Mechanically has been rock solid. Had to replace some suspension bushings that were oil filled and failed (wasn't dangerous driving, but caused excess tire wear).

I would suspect that if it has issues it would be in the area of window motors (Nissan/Infiniti tend to have that issue). Can't really say anything negative...it has been a good car.
YourFavAggie
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Infinity has some of the softest paint around so if you get it, find a good detailer and have him do a good paint correction with the best wax/sealant he has. Then, keep it up.

Have a 2013 with ~55k miles on it. Been a complete joy to drive, but this comment is spot on. I have actual begun doing some of my own paint correction because the paint needs some babying if you want to keep it looking good.

Otherwise, only issue I have had is the back light on the clock going out. Dealership fixed this for free though.
Eyes of texas Crying
ReloadAg
AG
I just found out a little bit more information on it. It's a 2012 with just under 61,000 miles on it. He doesn't have a price in mind yet but he said probabaly somewhere in between $10k and 13k. KBB says $11,800.
ReloadAg
AG
I should add that the car I'm currently driving is a 2012 Camry LE with 85,000 miles on it. Probabaly worth somewhere around $10k
meggy09
AG
ReloadAg said:

I should add that the car I'm currently driving is a 2012 Camry LE with 85,000 miles on it. Probabaly worth somewhere around $10k

Congrats on the upgrade then!
Absolute
AG
I have a 2013 x sedan. 90k miles. Great car probably my favorite all around car I have owned. Fun to drive, reasonably comfortable and appointed. Been very reliable. Only issue I have had is a driver's seat frame weld crack (twice.)

Pratical cons: premium gas, poor gas mileage (I average 23 for my driving which is probably 65% highway,) road noise is a bit high, cup holders suck.

I would buy another in a second.
ReloadAg
AG
Do you run 91 or 93 octane in it?
Absolute
AG
93. Runs great. Run 89 in my wife's Qx60. Its a dog anyway.

Not a Bot
AG
YourFavAggie said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Have a 2013 with ~55k miles on it. Been a complete joy to drive, but this comment is spot on. I have actual begun doing some of my own paint correction because the paint needs some babying if you want to keep it looking good.

Otherwise, only issue I have had is the back light on the clock going out. Dealership fixed this for free though.

I have a 2013 G37 with the *exact* same issues. The paint is getting bad and my dash clock light is currently out. Glad to know it isn't just me.
Absolute
AG
Agree on the paint. Mine is black and the front bumper is a mess from road debris chipping the paint. Try to care for it, but it is tough. Wouldn't keep me from buying it though. Next time would consider an aftermarket coating right after purchase.
ReloadAg
AG
Still looking into this deal. I'm going to get together with my friend sometime next week and check out the car. The color is blue slate I think with the light gray/tan interior.
Absolute
AG
I have the light interior and it has held up surprisingly well. I was really worried about it at first.
BBQ Bevo
AG
2010 G37S sedan here - 81k miles.
Had it for 5 years, will probably keep for another 5. Pretty solid sport sedan.

-S-model suspension makes for a rougher ride. Know this if you are on the road for long stretches.
-S-model also has staggered wheel/tire size, so you can't rotate; therefore tires will wear faster.
-Normal wear & tear for me, mostly. Rear door lock actuators had to be replaced recently as they died about a year ago. Was tired of having manual rear door locks, so I got em fixed.

Stock Bose stereo is pretty solid. Car pairs better with Apple products versus Android.

It's been said before, but when Infiniti changed the G nameplate to Q, the old G37 body was kept and renamed Q40. They didnt sell real well against the new bodystyles, so you can get a low mileage Q40 for pretty reasonable prices these days. (mid-high teens) Just a thought.
drumboy
AG
You sure on G37->Q40? I thought the G37 went to the Q60 and the Q50 and especially Q40 are smaller but with the same engine.

When shopping in 2013 the G37 was still out when they released the Q50 and it was smaller from what I remember.
ReloadAg
AG
Thanks for the info on the light interior. I was worried about how it'd hold up as well. I usually prefer darker interiors.

I'll rule #1 it when I (most likely) buy it.
Silvy
AG
Why G37 when you can G48, G53, even or G60?

https://instagr.am/p/BlWHXACD6dy
BBQ Bevo
AG
Q40

Q40 = G37 until they dropped that bodystyle from the lineup. Sold alongside the Q50 for a few years, and now the Q50 is its replacement.
Absolute
AG
BBQ Bevo said:

Q40

Q40 = G37 until they dropped that bodystyle from the lineup. Sold alongside the Q50 for a few years, and now the Q50 is its replacement.

This is correct.

I actually like the g37 (q40) a little better than the newest q50s, mainly due to the newer steering system they are using. It feel way too light. You get used to it (had a couple for loaners when they work replacing my seat frame.) g is also a little more raw feeling and sounding, which I like.

Part of the reason I got the x was to have all tires the same to allow rotation.
Absolute
AG
Op, also, there are a lot of these around. I would at least investigate the market before just buying from a friend.
drumboy
AG
IDK man. The Q50 was smaller and sportier than the G37 in 2013, the last year of the G37 and the Q40 is even smaller. Plus the only coupe now is the Q60.

2013 G37:

2014 Q60:

There was a G27 before, mabye the Q40 is that continuation.
ReloadAg
AG
I get what you're saying there. I'm not sure if I'd find one with as few miles for the money though. He said he'd sell it for somewhere between $10k and 13k. I think KBB is $11,800 or something so I'm not sure how much to offer him. Maybe $11k?
hatchback
AG
The G37 sedan was rebranded as the Q40 between 2014 and 2015 when Infiniti rebranded their lineup with the Q nomenclature. The old body style G37/Q40 was sold along side the all-new Q50 until 2015.

The G37 coupe was rebranded at the Q60 in 2013 and was sold until the all-new Q60 debuted in 2017.

Infiniti introduced a lower-priced version of the G37 as the G27 with a smaller V6 in 2010 to compete with the Lexus IS250, Audi A4, and BMW 328. It was discontinued in 2012.

Super confusing, I know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.