Adventures with a 15 y/o high-maintenance swedish wagon

30,124 Views | 243 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Tim Weaver
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought I'd post this up so that you guys could laugh at my pain and mock my misery. But also to shed light on what it looks like to own a 15 y/o European car that we all regularly mock as being ridiculously unreliable and expensive to maintain. I'm pretty handy and can tackle most minor repairs including fluid changes (think stuff that takes less than 3 hours for an amateur: brakes, suspension, engine bay sensors, etc.) but I don't touch certain things as I have limited experience with them including: clutch, trans, diff, drive train, timing belt, etc.

I've owned my V70R for a little over 4 months now and it's been eventful already. I bought the car back in May and have been enjoying it. It's a fun car to drive if not an order of magnitude more complicated than the 07 WRX that it replaced.

I had a wonderful 2 week honeymoon before the problems began...

Not sure how updated I'll keep this, we'll see how it goes.
Dill-Ag13
AG
June 4 - my left fog light decided it no longer wanted to live and promptly detached itself and hurled itself across an intersection. As I pulled over and waited for a chance to retrieve it, a dually "thump thumped" right over it. I bought a pair of HIDs and upon installing them, realized that the right side fog light was barely fastened to the bumper (missing 3 of 4 fasteners). I bought the fasteners and buttoned the HID ones in. Problem solved. $150 spent.
Dill-Ag13
AG
June 8 - had some fun installing 3rd row seats in the R. Car now seats 7!

Dill-Ag13
AG
August 5 - I kept experiencing what felt like total power loss (for a fraction of a second) at 50% throttle. It felt like a fuel delivery issue to me and after some googling I determined it was the fuel pressure sensor. I replaced it and the problem has not reappeared. $50 spent, repaired myself.

Dill-Ag13
AG
September 18 - Yesterday was a fun day. Coming off of a stoplight I hit the gas (read: pedal to metal) and got up to 3rd gear before entering I-45 via an onramp. A warning light along with a message popped up on my dash reading "engine coolant low, come to a safe stop". Rolling my eyes thinking it was a faulty sensor (this car has eleventy billion sensors) I nevertheless take it seriously and quickly come to a stop in a strip mall and kill the engine. I pop the hood and immediately see coolant sprayed all over the inside of the engine bay and my upper rad hose sitting off to the side, detached from the radiator. Many expletives were shouted in my head before regaining my composure. The engine temp hadn't risen at all, less than a minute had passed since the message had popped up, the car had mostly coasted to the parking lot. I grabbed an Uber and ran to a local HEB to grab some distilled water, got back to the car, tightened up the rad hose (glad I have tools in the car!), dumped in 6 quarts of water (capacity is 7.4 quarts, just about all gone). Then slowly limped the car to a Volvo indy shop that was miraculously less than a half mile away. A coolant flush, engine inspection and rad hose tightening later and I was on my way. No lasting damage. Thank you Jesus. Apparently water pump cavitation is not uncommon in these cars at higher RPM leading to rapid expansion (boiling) of coolant into the air at which point your cooling system finds the weakest link for the pressure to escape. I think I need a blow-off valve for my coolant tank!

$46 in Uber fares, $4 of water, $108 for the shop work = $158 + 1 year cut from my life
dubi
AG
In
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

I think I need a blow-off valve for my coolant tank!
That green thing is a blow off valve. May be time for a replacement
Dill-Ag13
AG
Never knew that, the cavitation is a forum theory, I'll take a look at the cap
neutics
AG
Is this legal? I'm assuming this was an option on the original that you added after the fact, but wondering what IIHS would have to say about this and perhaps there is a reason there are not more rear-facing seats in modern cars?
HBCanine08
BigPuma
AG
It's a station wagon. Most people that want 7+ seats get SUVs and minivans since station wagons are basically a thing of the past, CTS-V excluded here.
Dill-Ag13
AG
neutics said:

Is this legal? I'm assuming this was an option on the original that you added after the fact, but wondering what IIHS would have to say about this and perhaps there is a reason there are not more rear-facing seats in modern cars?
Perfectly legal, was a $1500 option on my car and everything bolted into existing holes and mounts like legos. Pretty cool actually.

Tesla Model S is the most modern car I know that has rear-facing 3rd row seats.

neutics
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

neutics said:

Perfectly legal, was a $1500 option on my car and everything bolted into existing holes and mounts like legos. Pretty cool actually.

Tesla Model S is the most modern car I know that has rear-facing 3rd row seats.

That's right completely forgot! Very cool and good work. Wonder why this is not a more popular feature...maybe due to the demise of station wagons and smaller hatchbacks?
Dill-Ag13
AG
Station wagons are all but dead in the US now
The Fife
Looking forward to following this one! My daily driver is a '92 960 that just rolled over 200K miles. It still loses coolant... somewhere... at a pint every couple of weeks. Wherever it's going it's not marking its territory.

There's also an ominous humming coming from the rear that changes with speed. Not sure if it's a bearing or what.
bco2003
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

t.u. Orange interior? Or Okie State? ;-)
will.mcg
AG
Riding in rear facing seats were a highlight of my childhood.
EMY92
AG
will.mcg said:

We didn't even have seats, we rode on the steel deck in back of the 1972 Ford Grand Torino station wagon. It was fun sliding from side to side on a turn.
aggiedata
AG
will.mcg said:

My dad was an Oldsmobile man. I begged him not to buy the 1977 Custom Cruiser, but it was not in the cards.

We took a road trip to California from Tennessee. This was my seat for 3 days of pure misery.

'

You gotta love the fake wood panels. Sidenote: a few years later, this car made its way to The Steak and Ale for my first car date. I still haven't fully forgave him for this.

*pictures are off the internet, not the real aggiedata mobile, but it's the same darn car.
lb3
AG
aggiedata
AG
I too had to roll down the back window and stick the lawnmower push handles out on my lawnmowing circuit.
KY AG
AG
This thread has potential.
Dill-Ag13
AG
bco2003 said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

t.u. Orange interior? Or Okie State? ;-)

Neither, atacama brah

will.mcg said:

I grew up riding in rear facing seats driving around Tokyo.
Ag for Life
AG
aggiedata said:

will.mcg said:

My dad was an Oldsmobile man. I begged him not to buy the 1977 Custom Cruiser, but it was not in the cards.

We took a road trip to California from Tennessee. This was my seat for 3 days of pure misery.

'

You gotta love the fake wood panels. Sidenote: a few years later, this car made its way to The Steak and Ale for my first car date. I still haven't fully forgave him for this.

*pictures are off the internet, not the real aggiedata mobile, but it's the same darn car.

This thing LS swapped would be awesome!
SA-AG72
AG
Flaith
AG
I want a B-body wagon with an LT1 way more than I should
Duncan Idaho
Be careful putting your kids in the way way back. You don't want to get shot.

https://jalopnik.com/confused-cops-hold-tesla-owner-at-gunpoint-when-they-mi-1792049319
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

My dad was an Oldsmobile man.

So was mine, though, even he would never have bought a station wagon.
Tim Weaver
I have a recurring dream/nightmare/wish of putting the B8444 V8 into a V70 chassis. NA 300 hp, but the V70 is almost 1000 pounds lighter than the XC90 the V8 comes out of. Man that would be a riot!

It's been done already, but in an XC70. I want street rod V70 V8!

And it's a Saffron/Atacama combo! Beautiful car....
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
KY AG said:

This thread has potential.
Hey KY AG, do you still live in KY?
KY AG
AG
I live in Nashville nowadays. What's up?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
KY AG said:

I live in Nashville nowadays. What's up?
I'm in Louisville for work for a few days.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Another fun story. After I bought the car I was more thoroughly reviewing the maintenance receipts and decided to call the independent shop named on the receipts (I only initially got a timing belt job receipt from the seller) to verify what work was completed. For whatever reason, the shop gave me all the info I asked for and even faxed over very detailed maintenance records. It was then that I discovered that the previous owner (the flipper) in his attempt to change the timing belt, screwed up the job and bent the valves. The 149k mile engine was taken out and replaced with a car-part mill that had 102k miles on it. The indy shop even told me the guy was a CarMax salesman who I now believe was pseudo-curbstoning on the side; buying cars for personal use at CarMax auctions and then flipping them, but staying under the 6-car per year minimum required for a dealer license.

This new info about the engine was both a blessing and a curse as my car was now effectively much 'younger' but also there was a big '?' in the maintenance history with regard to oil changes and general upkeep of the engine. As a side note, the dude spent $1,200 for the engine, $800 for a timing belt job, and $2,000 to swap out the engine, no wonder he wanted to sell the car!

See the below UOA from Blackstone that I got yesterday. The alarmingly high metal counts of the first sample sent in have settled down. I'll continue with my 4k internals of Rotella T6 in the Volvo that my WRX I had previously loved so much.

Jack Cheese
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Be careful putting your kids in the way way back. You don't want to get shot.

https://jalopnik.com/confused-cops-hold-tesla-owner-at-gunpoint-when-they-mi-1792049319

Good thing Thelma Lou called Barney Fife on that kidnapping.
Dill-Ag13
AG

The message screen in the VR

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.