FS: 1980 CJ-7 4.2L 258ci 6cyl

2,955 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CarltonAg
CarltonAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is time I sell my Jeep in order to get something more family friendly after baby #5 entered my family's life (Yes, I know how this keeps happening. It's 1 of 3 three things I have found I'm good at in life). I haven't made much of an attempt to sell it in the past other than mentioning it here and there.

The jeep would do great on a deer lease or as a weekend vehicle. I don't want to let it go, but the reality of lugging kiddos around means I need something better suited for that.

I'm located in the Leander/Liberty Hill/Georgetown area.

I've owned the Jeep for roughly 1.5yrs. I bought it from another gent off Texags.

It has the original 4.2l 258 engine, along with the original transmission and transfer case. Prior to my ownership the rear axle was rebuilt, and the transmission was re-geared. I have no clue what the ratios are. 1st gear operates like a granny gear. The four wheel drive works. I haven't done any wheeling in the jeep other than crossing a few muddy creeks during dove season and deer season.

When I bought the jeep it had an old vinyl wrap on it. I pulled the wrap off and hand sanded the existing other paint coats under it. I primed and painted it all with rattle cans. There is no major rust on the jeep. Only a few tiny spots here and there.

When the transmission was re-geared the speedo cable didn't get hooked up so the speedometer doesn't currently work. There are NV lights mounted on the front that once assisted a thermal camera that was mounted on the dash because in it's former life the jeep had a mini-gun mounted in the rear and was used to take veterans on hog hunts. I assume the NV lights work but I don't own any NV to confirm that.

If I were to keep the jeep I would go ahead and have the rear main seal replaced, and the front right u-joint. The speedo cable doesn't bother me because the jeep is slow and the speed limit isn't much a factor. I have installed a new starter, new mechanical clutch kit, distributor cap, ignition control module, and battery.

I have a hard top and hard doors that the prior owner bought off another guy. I also have a bikini top for it. The floor has a bed liner sprayed in. There is also a metal center console box and trunk box the prior owner had made. The center console box is pretty large, so you could throw in a short barreled rifle or a 12 pack of whatever.

I'm asking $6,800. I am aware the jeep is 38yoa and needs a bit of work so I am negotiable on price.

I'm gonna make an attempt at linking pics off Imgur. I typically screw this up, but we'll see how it goes.

I can be reached at my email addy: i b l e e d m a r o o n at s b c g l o b a l dot n e t

Goose
AG
Quote:

There are NV lights mounted on the front that once assisted a thermal camera that was mounted on the dash because in it's former life the jeep had a mini-gun mounted in the rear and was used to take veterans on hog hunts. I assume the NV lights work but I don't own any NV to confirm that.

This is buried in the middle and deserves to be highlighted. Sounds glorious...
CarltonAg
AG
Ha, you're right. I shoulda expanded more on that.

If you look closely at the front windshield there is a Craft International sticker as well. The previous owner is a retired College Station Police Officer and was given the sticker by Chris Kyle after providing a security detail for him at a book signing in College Station. Chris Kyle was murdered shortly after that book signing. I left the sticker on the jeep out of respect. I also remember asking my youngest brother in law (was current student at A&M at the time of the book signing) to take my American Sniper book to that signing. Well like any good millennial he blew it off and my book remains unsigned.
coolerguy12
AG
Quote:

I primed and painted it all with rattle cans

Quote:

I'm asking $8000

These two statements are in direct opposition to each other. I saw the first statement along with the deer lease comment and figured we were in the $4K range.

Good luck with the sale.
CarltonAg
AG
I appreciate the luck. I am negotiable on price, but 4k is too low. I am pricing it on the overall condition of the jeep itself. Not just the fact I used spray paint.

If I had the cash available when I bought the jeep I woulda paid someone to paint it. Had I done that, I would be asking more for it as well.

As an FYI, The rattle can worked out surprisingly well with several light coats and a good surface to work with. Spent a total of $160 to paint it. Given how it's done since I painted it I would do it again.

Also, don't know what the deer lease comment has to do with it. ATV/UTV and whatever else folks drive on their lease typically cost more than the jeep. Jeep doesn't need a trailer.
coolerguy12
AG
Anytime I see "lease vehicle" it means there is no title or it's not exactly road worthy. The paint does look great in pictures and I hope you get what you're asking for it, or at least close. It's just those buzz words had me in a different ball park.
CarltonAg
AG
I gotcha. It's been my daily driver for the most part since I've owned it. However, I don't have much of a drive to work and lately I haven't driven it much.

In my opinion it would be better suited as a weekend driver, or a lease vehicle. I've got the title and it does fine on the road. Its not much fun in the Austin area during 5pm on 35, mopac or 183 but it's been done numerous times.

Reel Aggies
AG
I'll swap my wheels and tires for yours . 35x12.50r15 general grabbers 85% tread
CarltonAg
AG
Haha, nah. Thanks though.
CarltonAg
AG
Bump for the weekend.

I have the Jeep parked at Tug's BBQ on 1431 in Jonestown if anyone wants to take a gander.
TSUAggie
$8,000?

If it ever sells at that price, I'd like to meet the buyer. I've got a few things I'd like to sell him/her.
CarltonAg
AG
Got to start somewhere with negotiations on it.

Wouldn't really expect someone to give me asking price without some sort of haggling.

Thanks for bump though. Have a good Sunday.
hatchback
AG
I've never understood the reasoning for blurring a license plate in photos. But blacking out the registration sticker? That's a new one.

Good luck with the sale!
CarltonAg
AG
LP is blurred for privacy reasons, ie vehicle registration gives up my home address. I'd prefer to not give that one out openly. Blurred sticker out of same reasoning but with more paranoia attached.

Thanks for the luck. So far it seems most people want to trade me a truck from the 90's (been offered a 98 Dodge and 99 Chevy), a broken jet ski, or come in far under what I'd like to get on the Jeep.
CarltonAg
AG
What really surprises me is not one person has noticed my gas cap is missing in the photos. Only my 2yoa son knows where it went and he's keeping mum.
CarltonAg
AG
I dropped my asking price on my CJ.

I've been offered plenty of guns, trucks and jet ski's. I prefer cash.
AG
thats almost a steal for a jeep thats only sheetmetal hacking was a DIN radio slot. It looks like minimal body work and a fresh coat of paint would bring it to drool worthy status.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I can't tell if it's the paint bubbling or dents but that passenger side looks mighty suspicious in the light.
AG
the great bondini can make that disappear
CarltonAg
AG
Passenger side has some small dents. It's not paint bubbling.

As previously mentioned I spray painted it. So it's a 50ft paint job. Kinda like how some women look good from 50ft, but you get close and they are a bit ugly. Still fun to ride though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.