Oil in the Air intake on Ford Explorer

15,679 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggieforester05
TamuLou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 2013 Ford Explorer (3.5L V6, ~65K miles) which about a year ago I found oil all in the Air Intake and around the air filter (I use an oil-less air filter btw) so much it was basically dripping out of there. I took it to dealership, they replaced the PCV value, and the problem went away for about a year.

Fast-forward 10K miles, a year later, and the problem has shown up again. I took it to the dealership Monday, which they called me today and said it was behaving normally (it was typically blowback) and that is nothing to worry about. He also stated the PCV valve looked fine and did not need to be replaced. They said the technician even called the 'Ford Hotline' to confirm (which tells me he was stumped @ the problem).

I told them to have another technician look at it with the shop Foreman because there is no way this is normal, especially since it lost about a quart of oil on the oil change interval (it usually never does). Again he said loosing oil is fine and Ford's acceptable loss of oil for a gas engine is 1 quart per 900 miles (I don't see how this could be remotely true).

So Texags Ford gurus what do you say? Does this sound normal to you? I have never seen where oil is dripping for the intake/housing (especially in the 'accordion' style plastic groves). I have seen in the past where K&N oiled filters cause a little bit of residue - but it was more than that. Any recommendations of what I should have the dealer do?

Tldr oil in the intake ford says that's normal, I say BS

Extra Details:
5W-20 Mobile 1 Full Synthetic
Motorcraft oil filter
AEM DryFlow Panel Filter (oil-less)
Oil Change ~ 5K mile mark (save this debate for another day)
Bill Udder Ford service dept.
Aggiemike96
AG
TamuLou said:

So Texags Ford gurus 1Ag what do you say?
FIFY.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Get a second opinion? My gut says it the PCV again
sts7049
AG
are you losing all the oil through the air filter?? or it that just a tiny bit of the overall consumption?

either way, i'd find a new dealer service dept. ANY oil in the air filter isn't normal.
TamuLou
AG
Thanks guys - I am thinking a new dealer is definitely in the horizon.

After reading on the explorer forums i am starring to think front value cover is the issue. Looks like Ford redesigned it around 2013 to fix a similar issue.
TamuLou
AG
sts7049 said:

are you losing all the oil through the air filter?? or it that just a tiny bit of the overall consumption?

I don't think I am losing that much through the air filter, but this is what it looks like (not my pic, but very similar)

*edit to fix the pic
aggieforester05
AG
An aftermarket catch can would at least catch the oil, but not fix the root of the problem. My wife's 2011 Flex with the 3.5L ecoboost just spent five weeks at the dealer for stretched timing chain, worn guides, phasers, and sprockets. That was at 72k miles. My brother's 2013 F-150 ecoboost with 67K mikes is at the dealership right now for the same problem. Completely different symptoms though.

Even if yours isn't a boost, it's the same basic engine sans turbos. Could possibly be due to a slight change in the timing system, allowing more blow back? I don't know, just a thought. Is there any unusual valve chatter on a cold start?
TamuLou
AG
Good idea - I haven't heard any startup rattle - granted its my wife daily driver so I don't drive it as much - and i can almost guarantee she wouldn't have noticed .

I might look into an aftermarket catch depending on what they say, as that would help it from getting to the throttle body.

I did have the timing chain issue on my expedition and it pain to finally fix - can't believe they took so long with yours.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
BR3Z-6582-R is the updated cover for your explorer.

Less than 50 dollars. Takes a couple hours to swap out.
TamuLou
AG
Thanks 1ags for the part number - I am still waiting to hear back from the dealer (hoping they will replace for free) - but the more I read I think I will be replacing the value cover this weekend.

Haven't had a "fun" automotive endeavor weekend in a while - so it looks like I'll be firing up the smoker and replacing the value cover.
aggieforester05
AG
Make sure you go to the beer store, before you tear into the engine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.