Traxxas RC Car

6,510 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by n_touch
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thinking of breaking down and buying one. Anyone here ever owned one? Worth the price? How much was he upkeep and how did the parts last? Cross posted this in the nerdery as well. Figure its a fit for both.
BigO93
AG
Traxxas makes good quality fast R/C cars. Parts are usually readily available at our local R/C hobby place. I have 3 sons and they own 3 Traxxas cars. Parts do break but pretty straightforward to repair yourself.
03_Aggie
I have the smaller Latrax Teton. Picked it up off my brother last year since Santa wasn't going to be able to deliver it on time.

I don't know a heck of a lot about them but I do seem to remember that they work to keep you in Traxxas components by doing things a little differently than others. I could be wrong but I thought there is compatibility issues if your try to sub in after market parts.

That said, I did just put two of their motors in my son's power wheels truck after the stock ones burned up.

ETA: Losi is another brand you might want to take a look at.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Some of the best memories with my dad growing up was playing with traxxas cars
n_touch
Dill-Ag13 said:

Awesome to hear. That's what I am hoping for. Getting two, one for me and one for the kid.
UnderoosAg
AG
I had a Tmaxx for a while. Local RC shops had all kinds of replacement and upgrade parts. Then I realized ebay did, too. If you're into guns, it's a lot like having an AR. Yeah, it works, but I could make it work better/faster/louder/bigger/prettier/uglier/dirtier/etc. Before long I'd built a stand for it to work on it, a case for it out of a small trunk to store it and carry it, and upgraded about half the truck. The only limits to what you can do with it are your time and money.
aggiebq03+
Plenty of places in Houston area to race short course trucks. Tons of fun and easy enough to replace parts when they break.
n_touch
Thanks for all the replies. Going today to look and see which ones we are going with.
Goose
AG
n_touch said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Awesome to hear. That's what I am hoping for. Getting two, one for me and one for the kid.
Having 2 is about 10x more fun than having just one.
The Wonderer
AG
Had a Losi and Traxxas car growing. Spent a lot time with my dad building, racing, wrecking, and rebuilding them.
big ben
AG
Had a T Maxx, money pit per se but worth every penny
reddog90
AG
The Wonderer said:

Had a Losi and Traxxas car growing. Spent a lot time with my dad building, racing, wrecking, and rebuilding them.
I did this with buggies, helicopters, and airboats. Good times but wasted a lot of my parent's money as a kid. Definitely kept me occupied.
Lovebird
Not a traxxas, but I have a HPI Baja 5B 1:5 with lots of extra parts for sale, let me know if you would be interested in something like this.
mm98
AG
The Wonderer said:

Same here. Except add Team Associated, Yokomo, Custom Works...Dad and I were addicted.

Some of my best childhood and early teen memories.
Thriller
AG
Looking at picking up a Slash and Stampede at our local hobby shop for Christmas. I'll give my son his choice and I'll take the other. He's a tinkerer in all sorts of things so I think this may be right up his alley.
mm98
AG
Thriller said:

Looking at picking up a Slash and Stampede at our local hobby shop for Christmas. I'll give my son his choice and I'll take the other. He's a tinkerer in all sorts of things so I think this may be right up his alley.
I'm actually debating between both right now too.

2wd or 4wd? Please update this thread after Christmas!
FIDO*98*
AG
Thriller said:

My boys have the Slash and the Rustler. When I play with them, I pick the Rustler 9 times out of 10. Slash is still fun though
n_touch
My original plan was to go with the Raptor and a Slash. I think I am still getting the 2wd Slash, but instead of the Raptor will get the Slash VXL with Traction control. It is still a 2wd but has a different motor than the Raptor so it can be sped up with the use of different batteries.

I spent about an hour at the local shop here talking with the guy. The Raptor and Slash are basically the same thing. They can both be upgraded later as well to the brushless motor so they can accept the different batteries. He said they are also good because they not only have the front and back bumper but the also have nerf bars under the body so they add extra protection. The other cars without the full body do not have this so it easier to break parts when you hit curbs and obstacles.

If you are in the NW Houston area, Randy's Hobbies on 290 is a nice little shop and they are very nice.
Madman
AG
I have a couple. Anything brushless is great fun.
Madman
AG
They are sturdyish for what they are. Go ahead and buy the RPM plastic replacement parts for things like the A Arms.

The RPM stuff is almost unbreakable. You will need to replace bearings every once in a while but mostly if you decide to play in water.

My little e Revo can do something like 45 MPH and my dogs have a great time chasing the cars.
Towns03
AG
what's the range on these things?:
https://traxxas.com/products/models/marine/blast

how far from my controller will they receive signals?
UnderoosAg
AG
Towns03 said:

what's the range on these things?:
https://traxxas.com/products/models/marine/blast

how far from my controller will they receive signals?

Look into the relays that throttle back if it gets out of range. I was running the Tmaxx out in the desert one time when it got out of range at full throttle. It was headed for a large ditch/mini ravine to do it's Thelma and Louise. My fat ass chased it like beer filled donuts trying to get radio range. Fortunately it veered into a bush and rolled before I had a heart attack.
Madman
AG
The listed range is 840 feet but from experience I would say it works better than that.
Thriller
AG
Picked up a Slash 4x4 Ultimate this afternoon. I wanted to get acclimated before we have other cars under the tree on Christmas Day. My 10 year old has infected his two older brothers with the idea as well. We may have 3 Slash 2WDs to go along with my 4X4.

Played with it for a little while this afternoon and holy crap that thing is fast.
n_touch
What battery are you using in it? How hard was it to get used to? Did you use the training speed at all?
Thriller
AG
n_touch said:

What battery are you using in it? How hard was it to get used to? Did you use the training speed at all?

I have two of these batteries. It's fairly simple to use so far. I have not used the training speed.

n_touch
Ended up with the Slash VXL and two batteries. Played with it a little this morning. Its a lot of fun. Can't wait to have two of them running.
mm98
AG
Go with the 2.8" conversion, downsize a pinnion, and start crawling!

And Rule #1...
n_touch

Ordered a Raptor body and bumper as well as a wheel holder for the back for a spare tire. Also ended up getting two more regular slashes for the family so we can all play and have fun together. I am quickly learning that this may become a fun but expensive hobby.
aggiebq03+
Once you get the others trucks and everyone can drive them decently in the yard, go to whatever track is nearby. Adding jumps and racing each other will get you fully hooked. Just know someone will have to take their turn being the marshal and keeping everyone on their wheels instead of the roof, so take an extra friend.
Garrelli 5000
AG
When I was in 6th grade I had a Kyosho Ultima. At the time it had just beaten the RC-10, de-throwning it from many years at the top.

My dad assembled it with a little assistance from me. Within 2 minutes of my first drive I hit a curb, bent the frame, and it never drove straight again

Despite this, it was a blast. I've always to get into RC cars again. My preference would be to assemble it myself (the way the all used to be).

I'd prefer a 2WD buggy for nostalgia reasons, but I'm not opposed to a truck. Any recommendations for a buggy or truck that can be purchased unassembled? I'd start w/electric for simplicity.
Madman
AG
Go to the "Team Associated" or Losi stuff. They make a bunch of kits that have to be put together.
Garrelli 5000
mm98
AG
I believe some of Team Associated and Team Losi non RTR kits are still the ones you assemble.

If you decide you want a RTR, the Traxxas Rustler is a good throwback design that's stood the test of time. Basically it's an off-road buggy, modified with longer towers and shocks, just like the old RC10T.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Which model did you get? Is that the one with the brushless motor? I'm new to all of this stuff.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.