Half ton with most towing capacity

2,368 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ShaggyAggie01
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which of the half ton trucks available on the market can tow the most right now? I'm thinking about getting a travel trailer in the next few years so my next truck purchase should be able to tow one that weighs roughly 6,000# without any problem.
AgEng06
AG
in before "how much does a space shuttle weigh?"
AgEng06
AG
Also, off the top of my head I'd say the GM 6.2L is probably the highest rated 1/2 ton.

Correction - it looks like the '18 F-150 is rated higher.
EskimoJoe
AgEng06 said:

Correction - it looks like the '18 F-150 is rated higher.

I won't believe it until I see the f150 pulling the space shuttle.
The Wonderer
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Which of the half ton trucks available on the market can tow the most right now? I'm thinking about getting a travel trailer in the next few years so my next truck purchase should be able to tow one that weighs roughly 6,000# without any problem.
Every single one of them on the market can tow this without a problem.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
F150 is 13,200 when properly equipped. IIRC this is a 2wd ecoboost with Max Tow package.

Most folks that tow with a 4x4 Crew will be at 9000lbs ish.
SCHTICK00
AG
The Wonderer said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

Technically speaking and by weight alone yes. The problem has more to do with wind drag because you're essentially pulling a sail. For example, my 1500 pound gator on a 1000 pound trailer isn't noticeable without the windshield on the gator. With it on it pulls a little heavy behind my diesel. Plus, just because it will pull the load doesn't mean it's enjoyable.
The Wonderer
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

The Wonderer said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

Technically speaking and by weight alone yes. The problem has more to do with wind drag because you're essentially pulling a sail. For example, my 1500 pound gator on a 1000 pound trailer isn't noticeable without the windshield on the gator. With it on it pulls a little heavy behind my diesel. Plus, just because it will pull the load doesn't mean it's enjoyable.
No, they all pull it just fine. I towed an 8800# travel trailer behind a 2010 F150 without issue. You knew it was there, but it handled it without a problem.
JP76
1agswitchin4lanes said:

F150 is 13,200 when properly equipped. IIRC this is a 2wd ecoboost with Max Tow package.

But will it stop when the brake booster fails and the master cylinder is bled dry?

Bob_Ag
AG
With a half ton, you typically start running out of payload before max towing capacity.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I drive the smaller V8 F-150 (2012) and I don't like pulling much more than 6,500#
Drewmeister
AG
JP76 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

But will it stop when the brake booster fails and the master cylinder is bled dry?

Did that thread just up and disappear? I was gonna send it to my friend who drives an F-150 in that year range and couldn't find it. Although I guess that wouldn't do him much good until Ford actually does a recall...
Kenneth_2003
AG
OP had the thread deleted as he heads into the legal process. He's promised to come back and update.
helloag99
SCHTICK00 said:

The Wonderer said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

I'd be WAY more worried about the trailer breaking that being able to pull it
FIDO*98*
AG
You can probably do a search and find half a dozen of my rants why I upgraded to a F-250 due to pulling 31' 6K lb trailer with my 2012 Tundra. Bottom line is no half-ton is going to pull that where you are fully relaxed as a driver. If you are hell bent on sticking with your plan, go for the F-150 with the Boost. It makes its torque at low RPM which helps when pulling a big trailer. I hitched up my TT to the wife's Expedition and it was an improvement, but, still not desirable.
robertcope
I towed my Miata around behind my Expedition. Only about 5000lbs, though. I could barely tell it was there. I can't imagine another 1000lbs making a big difference in that experience, but maybe I'm wrong.
FIDO*98*
AG
robertcope said:

I towed my Miata around behind my Expedition. Only about 5000lbs, though. I could barely tell it was there. I can't imagine another 1000lbs making a big difference in that experience, but maybe I'm wrong.

It's not the weight of a TT, it's the aerodynamics. I towed a Bobcat with my Tundra a few times that outweighs my TT by at least a ton without issue.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
JP76 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Usually it stops by crashing into the silverado that has bad steering that has rear ended the Ram thats on fire.

Then a Tundra with recalled airbags and a Titan with fake steel certificates will add to the perfect full size pickup mashup....
AgEng06
AG
The difference there is the Chevys and Rams have actually been recalled...
mm98
AG
I had to tow with my 2014 Silverado, 5.3, with 3.42 axle. I think it is rated up to 9,600 pounds.

I was towing a UHaul car transport carrying a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. Total weight was about 5700 pounds. Going from Katy to Dripping Springs, so lots of hill the 2nd half of the drive.

It towed just fine. Mileage was around 11mpg, IIRC. Having experienced that, I probably wouldn't sweat anything under 7,500K with my truck, unless I was headed into serious hills or serious wind.

For reference, I was the only passenger and no other stuff loaded in the truck other than a ****load of coffee.
robertcope
FIDO*98* said:

robertcope said:

It's not the weight of a TT, it's the aerodynamics. I towed a Bobcat with my Tundra a few times that outweighs my TT by at least a ton without issue.
I'm not very smart. You said, TT and I figured you were hauling an Audi around. I get it now. Although, I also have friends who tow their cars in pretty good sized enclosed trailers with their F-150s (or worse) and they don't seem to complain. They may just be gluttons for punishment, though.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
AgEng06 said:

Not all the rams....
EMY92
AG
AgEng06 said:

Half of all Chevys built this century have been recalled. That's not a high bar for them to cross.
The Wonderer
AG
FIDO*98* said:

robertcope said:

Anybody with any experience towing tall loads knows what to look for and prepare for while towing as the aerodynamics of TTs have not changed in 50 years (you're towing a brick through the wind - wtf are you expecting). You shouldn't be surprised about a disrupted slipstream when an 18 wheeler passes you on the left. You should be aware of crosswinds by looking at the trees or grass on the side of the road and know to slow down or favor the side of the road closes to the direction of the wind to account for sway. You should know that you need a WD hitch and how to install, hookup, and stabilize your rig. Every rig after every hookup has different harmonics. They will sway at certain speeds and not at others. Common sense says to stay out of the sway range as much as possible.

People that know what they're doing should not have any problem with tall or heavy loads within their rated capacities. Those that I usually hear have issues towing three to four tons with half ton trucks are trying to tow at 75+ mph and realizing that that's just not going to work in a safe manner.
Drip99
AG
Bob_Ag said:

With a half ton, you typically start running out of payload before max towing capacity.
This. Check the max payload on the door jam and look for something above 1800 (mine is 1831). I tow a 7200# 30 foot travel trailer a few times a year with a 15 2wd ecoboost f150. Power is not a problem but you can tell it is back there. That being said, I don't know how it would do in the mountains but it plows thru the hill country with zero issue.
Drip99
AG
The Wonderer said:

FIDO*98* said:

robertcope said:

Anybody with any experience towing tall loads knows what to look for and prepare for while towing as the aerodynamics of TTs have not changed in 50 years (you're towing a brick through the wind - wtf are you expecting). You shouldn't be surprised about a disrupted slipstream when an 18 wheeler passes you on the left. You should be aware of crosswinds by looking at the trees or grass on the side of the road and know to slow down or favor the side of the road closes to the direction of the wind to account for sway. You should know that you need a WD hitch and how to install, hookup, and stabilize your rig. Every rig after every hookup has different harmonics. They will sway at certain speeds and not at others. Common sense says to stay out of the sway range as much as possible.

People that know what they're doing should not have any problem with tall or heavy loads within their rated capacities. Those that I usually hear have issues towing three to four tons with half ton trucks are trying to tow at 75+ mph and realizing that that's just not going to work in a safe manner.
Well said. When towing I am extra attentive and never tow above 65. It baffles me when I see a 250/350 towing a big 5th wheel blow by me at 75+. Why put your family in danger to get there 15 miin early and what if you have a blowout?
Direct Enter Enter
65 max for me, too. With my tow vehicle, anything over 67-68 seems to result in a huge increase in fuel usage. Besides, when towing I would much rather be passed than do the passing.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
The Wonderer said:

FIDO*98* said:

robertcope said:

I added air bags to my 2011 f150 4x4 (3.5eb) made all the difference. No longer need the WD Hitch on my 28' 5000 lb to cruise at 70+. And I live in OK, where wind is the norm.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.