Mid size sedan

1,349 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by crob
Blanco Jimenez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got a new job which requires me to drive about 70 miles round trip from the house. My '06 Silverado is doing fine but drinking a lot of gas and I'd like to avoid further wear and tear. I'm looking at a used (2014 or newer) mid size sedan to be my commuter vehicle. I'd like to stay under $15,000 if possible. Do you guys or gals have any suggestions or experience with any of these? I've only owned trucks or SUV's so my experience is limited.
mm98
AG
How does the truck run and what kind of shape is it in? $15,000 buys a lot of gas.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Gas is cheap drive that bad boy
Blanco Jimenez
AG
mm98 said:

How does the truck run and what kind of shape is it in? $15,000 buys a lot of gas.
It's had its issues and it has left me stranded a couple of times. I like having a truck around for weekend chores and activities but it is getting to the point to where I want something a bit more reliable. I always said I'd drive that truck until the wheels fall off but that already happened and I'm still driving it.
mm98
AG
My opinion, in order of Boring to Most Fun. All I'd consider reliable:

Camry
Accord
Sonata/Optima
Fusion
Mazda6

If you have any requirement of fun or enjoyment I'd pick the last two.
CrottyKid
AG
My obligatory answer.
VW CC
Love mine.
The Fife
CrottyKid said:

My obligatory answer.
VW CC
Love mine.

I'll second this. Ours has worked out great and basically only needs gas, oil, and tires.
Macarthur
Can't go wrong w/ Accord. Good gas mileage, roomy and comfortable.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Quote:

Lets put this onto paper....

$15,000 @ 2.50/gal = 6,000 gallons

figure 15mpg with your silverado = 90,000 miles of driving.

70 miles per day X 5 days per week X 52 weeks/yr = 18,200 commuting miles/yr

Almost 5 years of driving your truck vs spending 1$5,000 on another car that will require insurance, fuel, maintenance etc.

You may be better able to justify spending $3,000 dollars on a small, fuel efficient vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I have 7 vehicles. They all have different uses in my mind.

But if the reason for adding a car is to save money on gas, and reducing wear and tear on a 12 year old Silverado, the logic is flawed.
Ciboag96
Autotrader

Make selections: zip code, Honda and Toyota, <$15k, <20,000 miles, certified pre-owned

Choose one.
TriAg2010
AG
There's not many bad midsized sedans right now. I would say go with what you like and can find at a good deal.

I personally love my Mazda6. Just finished my first real road trip and it was a joy in the highway. I was an Accord owner for 10 years before that and agree you can't go wrong there either.
FIDO*98*
AG
I recently got a new company car. I had my choice between a Malibu, Fusion, Mazda 6, and Subaru Legacy. I ended up getting the Subaru even though it was the last one I thought I would end up with and after test driving the decision wasn't even close. 11,000 miles in and I can say this is the first company car I've ever actually enjoyed driving.
dodger02
AG
The guy asked for vehicle suggestions, not an economics lecture.

The above poster had it pretty much correct:

Camry
Accord
Sonata/Optima
Fusion
Mazda6
Malibu

Here's a certified pre-owned Camry in Cedar Park for <$15,000 and less than 50k miles.

2014 Camry
CEPhD
AG
I agree with 1ags
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
dodger02 said:

The guy asked for vehicle suggestions, not an economics lecture.

The above poster had it pretty much correct:

Camry
Accord
Sonata/Optima
Fusion
Mazda6
Malibu

Here's a certified pre-owned Camry in Cedar Park for <$15,000 and less than 50k miles.

2014 Camry
You must be new here....
dodger02
AG
Dude. I live on the OB and Liucci's page. I'm as ****ty as they come.

Just thought I'd mount my high horse for a moment.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
dodger02 said:

Dude. I live on the OB and Liucci's page. I'm as ****ty as they come.

Just thought I'd mount my high horse for a moment.
Chillax man....we're just a bunch of crotchety grumpy car nuts here.....
crob
Look at a Civic. It's nearly the size of a midsize car and has excellent fuel economy. Gas fillups are about 10.5 gallons, not quite sure what the exact size of the tank is, but that's no more than $22 a tank. Range varies from 330-440 miles. Personally I'd go with a 6spd if that's no issue for your commute.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.