Living in Texas and buying a new car in oklahoma

28,036 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GrimesCoAg95
35chililights
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live close to the border. I was having some difficulty getting the DFW honda dealerships to get the exact vehicle we wanted. So I picked up the phone and called some OKC dealerships, who were happy to order one exactly how we wanted it.

I didnt even think about it until after I got the paperwork that the taxes might be a little different. I don't want to let anything fall through the cracks. I've already updated our insurance to make sure we are covered to bring it home, but what other issues Might I run into?

If the OKC dealership doesn't collect Texas's taxes, do I need to pay Texas before I pick it up and drive it home? Will OK collect sales tax? Will I need to pay Texas sales tax?

Thanks for any help.
Duncan Idaho
When you title it, you will effectiveky have to pay the state sales tax.
The Wonderer
AG
http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/out-of-state-and-foreign-vehicles
txyaloo
AG
35chililights said:

I live close to the border. I was having some difficulty getting the DFW honda dealerships to get the exact vehicle we wanted. So I picked up the phone and called some OKC dealerships, who were happy to order one exactly how we wanted it.

I didnt even think about it until after I got the paperwork that the taxes might be a little different. I don't want to let anything fall through the cracks. I've already updated our insurance to make sure we are covered to bring it home, but what other issues Might I run into?

If the OKC dealership doesn't collect Texas's taxes, do I need to pay Texas before I pick it up and drive it home? Will OK collect sales tax? Will I need to pay Texas sales tax?

Thanks for any help.
Some dealerships close to the border in neighboring states will submit taxes for you. You'll have to check with the dealership.

If they don't submit, make sure you bring a copy of the Form 130 U

http://www.txdmv.gov/reports-and-data/doc_download/998-form-130-u-application-for-texas-title-and-or-registration

You'll pay taxes when you register it. Remember, you'll have to get it inspected in Texas before you can register.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/out-of-state-and-foreign-vehicles
35chililights
AG
Thanks. I had read that page, but as most .gov pages, I assumed some of the information wasn't as step-by-step as it should be. Bringing a Form 130-U with me would have been something I likely would not have done, so thank you greatly.
texpert68
AG
Bump. Will be buying a car in OK today...is the registration & sales tax payment truly as simple as the TX DMV website indicates?
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Oklahoma also doesn't require a front license plate, but Texas does. If you are buying a new car there, have them put the bracket on for you as part of the deal. It will reduce a hassle later.

I didn't pay any sales tax at the time of purchase, but I did pay the Texas sales tax when I filed for the title.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.