Start/Stop engines

11,502 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by suburban cowboy
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AC definitely ramped down some in my rental. Noticeable in Nashville; would not have been happy at all back home.
TXAGFAN
AG
Re: AC, it does slow down.
JAW3336
AG
Wouldn't the AC compressor shut off completely and the fan just slow down?
Attack life, It's going to kill you anyway!
bigtruckguy3500
Drove my mom's car this past week and it was not only incredibly annoying, but made me feel very unsafe. Sometimes on heavy traffic roads I'd need to jump off the brake and shoot a gap, but as soon as I felt the engine start back up I'd press the brake again and not want to risk it. Maybe it would've done just fine, but I don't have confidence in that feeling of the engine starting as I'm about to press the gas pedal. Not to mention it shutting on/off a few dozen times in Houston traffic.

I did some googling and figured out how to "disable it" if there's no actual disable feature. If you have a transmission that has the "manual" option, shift it into manual mode and all the way to the top gear. So in my mom's malibu, I put it into L6.

I'm not in the market for a new vehicle any time soon, but I will definitely be looking for this feature and avoiding it.
aggiedata
AG
Which new cars don't have this feature?

Don't think the new Lexus GX has this based on driving my aunts around town.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Drove my mom's car this past week and it was not only incredibly annoying, but made me feel very unsafe. Sometimes on heavy traffic roads I'd need to jump off the brake and shoot a gap, but as soon as I felt the engine start back up I'd press the brake again and not want to risk it. Maybe it would've done just fine, but I don't have confidence in that feeling of the engine starting as I'm about to press the gas pedal. Not to mention it shutting on/off a few dozen times in Houston traffic.

I did some googling and figured out how to "disable it" if there's no actual disable feature. If you have a transmission that has the "manual" option, shift it into manual mode and all the way to the top gear. So in my mom's malibu, I put it into L6.

I'm not in the market for a new vehicle any time soon, but I will definitely be looking for this feature and avoiding it.
GM does not offer a defeat.

Fords have switches but reset every time you turn ign off. I dont think it will activate if you use sport or tow/haul on the transmisison drive modes. Theres also an easy way to disable it permanently.

Audi's disable switch (at least in the A8) lets you disable permanently.

I have it in my 2018 F150, really doesnt bother me at all. But I also dont typically drive in rush hour stop and go.

Joe Exotic
AG
My 2019 Silverado has an off switch for start/stop. Wife's BMW X3 turns it off completely in sport mode.
CactusThomas
AG
How are y'all even launching if you're not power braking at every stop?
'03ag
Aston 91 said:

Quote:

just get a manual car.

Several years ago in Italy I rented a manual turbo diesel Mini. It had the auto start stop feature and would re-start the engine as soon as you pressed down on the clutch. As if driving in Italy wasn't unnerving enough, I had to figure out that goofy system.

I had a manual Tiguan diesel to drive around Scotland. It had this eco stop, but the same feature also kept you from killing the car. It would aggressively shut off the engine if it sensed you were about to kill it, then automatically start it up again if you pushed the clutch in.

I adapted to driving and shifting on the wrong side pretty well, mostly in the countryside. Everything was going great for the 5 days I was driving, until we were on our way back to the airport driving through the heart of Glasgow.

I missed an exit off the freeway, had to take the next one and u turn at a typical diamond interchange. I was first in line to turn right onto the on ramp. My light goes green and I proceed to turn.

As I look to the on ramp I see a traffic light looking at me and its red. In the UK they have this habit of putting the light lower, and further across the intersection. So what I saw was the light for the traffic to my left, letting them know not to proceed straight through the intersection. But it was right in my eye line so I thought it was for me.

As they say, people don't rise to the occasion, they default to their lowest level of training. At that moment my brain told me I had a red light, and that I was trying to turn the wrong way down an off ramp. I hit the brakes and was too late to the clutch, the engine died, I immediately pushed the clutch in. Instinctively I thought - crap, I killed it I must restart car - so after panic reaching on the wrong side for the ignition button I finally hit hit the button to restart the car. Except the anti-stall feature had already done that, so I inadvertently turned the car off again.

All the while I'm slowly drifting through the intersection at an awkward angle. The wife, who up to this point had been a very effective rally style co-driver through the Scottish highlands, was not . . . helping.

After pumping the clutch and hitting start stop button a few times, my brain and the car finally agreed that it was indeed running and in the correct gear. Somehow we sorted out that it was ok to take the ramp and off we went.

It all happened in a maybe 4 seconds, but it felt like 30.
TxAggieBand85
AG
It's all about CAFE standards to be met. It is not about maintenance, cost of equipment or long term durability.

Shut off engine, no fuel used. less fuel is used to start the engine than idle. I've seen this measured and it is indeed true.

Use electric motors to turn AC Compressor and Power steering, run these off of the battery when shutoff.

Default always to engine stop mode, allow consumers to turn off each time if manufacture elects to do so.

You elected the people who control the EPA, this is what you get.

cav14
Token said:

just get a manual car.
Or just get an electric car.

Being able to turn on the AC without any engine has been very useful on my overnight camping trips.
FarmerJohn
AG
I'm both biased for the engineers and have direct experience, but not directly automotive. Does it use less fuel than idling? Yes. Is there more strain/wear? Yes. "Designing for it" means either more robust (i.e. expensive) components or it wears faster. I have to wonder if the extra energy used in manufacturing the components and their replacements when things wear out more than offsets the energy saved. It probably does work out to a net energy savings, but probably not enough to justify the huge expense to add this in.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
FarmerJohn said:

I'm both biased for the engineers and have direct experience, but not directly automotive. Does it use less fuel than idling? Yes. Is there more strain/wear? Yes. "Designing for it" means either more robust (i.e. expensive) components or it wears faster. I have to wonder if the extra energy used in manufacturing the components and their replacements when things wear out more than offsets the energy saved. It probably does work out to a net energy savings, but probably not enough to justify the huge expense to add this in.
GM tried to play this game with a giant starter/alternator/generator in their 'mild hybrid' setups, and let the starter help the car 'take off' from a stop while starting the engine.

BMW also was one of the earlier adopters of this.

I know Ford's strategy was to use a special starter, AGM battery, and redesign their cylinder heads to slow the flow of engine oil back to the pan to help avoid lack of lubrication on the top end of the engines. The SS setup is pretty smart in Fords. In the summer, it will stay on if its super hot, or if you're stopped and the temp rises, the engine will kick on to cool. Most of the Ford guys are disabling it by disabling the Battery Monitor system, which will disable auto start stop permanently. I dont drive stop and go/commute/rush hour, so its not as annoying to me.

I'm sure the technology will keep evolving.
91AggieLawyer
AG
My early days of (trying to) drive a three speed column shift was a start/stop, though not exactly the same way it is now! It would stop when the light turned green and I let out the clutch too fast, especially when it was in third gear and I thought it was in first. Oh, well.
AggieStout
AG
Friend has a new 2019 f150 and hates it. Tried to look up a disable fix for it and found a dealer video about plugging in something to the trailer plug in the back by the plate. They said you could buy it at an auto parts store. Was just a black plug And I guess tricks it to think you have a trailer and then the start/stop doesn't kick in.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If he's in houston I can hook him up
suburban cowboy
AG
I am having mine disabled this week.
drummer0415
AG
I don't know if I'm just dumb or naive or what, but I've been driving a start/stop f150 since 2015 and it just doesn't bother me at all. It has never interfered with my driving or been a nuisance in any way.

I really do think some people are against it just because it's "new" and something they aren't "used to". I also think these same people wave their fists at clouds.
Dr. Nefario
Does this "feature" exist on all F-150s, or just the higher trim levels?
TexAgBolter
AG
I've got the start/stop on my F150 baby stroke and it doesn't bother me at all.
drummer0415
AG
Dr. Nefario said:

I believe it's related to the engine selection, not the trim level. 2015 and 2016 f150s it was only on the 2.7 ecoboost, 2017 and up its on all engines.
dubi
AG
drummer0415 said:

Dr. Nefario said:

I believe it's related to the engine selection, not the trim level. 2015 and 2016 f150s it was only on the 2.7 ecoboost, 2017 and up its on all engines.
It was on our 2016 2.7 Ecoboost and i hated it.

1Ags disabled it for me.
EMY92
AG
It doesn't bother me, I couldn't get my foot off of the brake and onto the gas before the engine is ready anyway.

I don't understand the timing of when it turns off, but that's another story.
Unemployed
AG
I'm used to just pressing the button to disable it immediately after I start the truck so it's no big deal for me.

I have a dashcam that's hooked up directly to the fuse box and it turns off each time the engine is shut down. If not for this, I wouldn't even bother disabling the auto start/stop function.
suburban cowboy
AG
Guys,
I had my auto start-stop turned off permanently today. Also had heat/cooled seat icons added to home screen. Auto-fold mirrors.! Seat belt chime turned off. And temp added to engine and water gauges.

Call Jason:
https://www.unleashtheford.com

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.