06 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L V8 lifter noise

1,452 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by moore42
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am having intermittent lifter noise from my 2006 chevy with 5.3L V8 with about 210K miles on it.

Sometimes it is fine, other times you hear the clatter. I have an oil leak somewhere around the valve cover gaskets, but it's not a big leak. It seems like for about a week after an oil change, I don't get the clatter, and then it is intermittently back, even though it is not showing on the dipstick to be low on oil.

Any ideas to remedy the racket? I need to be able to limp this baby along for at least a few more years if possible.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
BosAG06
AG
Google 'Marvel Mystery Oil' for lifter noise. It fixed one of my buddies trucks. My uncle is a mechanic and he said it will fix about 80% of the chevys with the lifter issues.
Aggieangler93
AG
Thanks....I'll let my fingers do the walking and check that out....
Silvy
AG
Worst comes to worst, engine swaps aren't too hard.
BigRobSA
Have Silvy go and talk to it...he's the Silverado Whisperer.
Agmechanic
AG
I used one of those off the shelf engine flushes at oil change time and then replaced one qt of oil with a qt of marvel. It did wonders for the noise almost immediately.
moore42
AG
I use about 8 oz of marvel in the 07 yukon (151k miles) for lifter noise. It doesnt completely eliminate it, but drastically reduces it.

I also notice when I take it on long trips (3-4 hours driving at a time), it clears up for a few weeks before it comes back.

Maybe i need to do what AgMechanic says and just use a whole quart next oil change.
SCHTICK00
AG
Does marvel not cause sludge buildup?
Agmechanic
AG
The sassafras and other craps in the marvel break down the sludge
moore42
AG
Agmechanic said:

The sassafras and other craps in the marvel break down the sludge
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.