Auto parts painting

2,085 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
pb488
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
my daily driver's hood is in horrible condition. the clear coat is off in some spots where rocks have hit, the paint is fading horribly from engine heat, and there are some dents/scratches. I don't feel like going through insurance and possibly raising my premium and I'd rather not pay for an entirely new hood/paint job out of pocket on a beater car.

my plan is to take off and sand/bondo/sand/prime the hood myself then bring somewhere to paint.

does anybody have a shop or private person recommendation for this type of work? located in Houston.

thanks and gig 'em

Buck O Five
AG

https://instagr.am/p/BNs6_MjlCCU
Corps_Ag12
AG
Google the rustoleum car paint job. Worked pretty good for that guy so far.
Duncan Idaho
Id be shocked if you find someone that will let you bring in a prepped panel and agree to shoot it.

Paint is about prep. And the $100 or so they might make on it, isn't worth the headache of dealing with a customer complaining about a paint job that didn't last.
pb488
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Id be shocked if you find someone that will let you bring in a prepped panel and agree to shoot it.

Paint is about prep. And the $100 or so they might make on it, isn't worth the headache of dealing with a customer complaining about a paint job that didn't last.

I agree, which is why I'm asking for a recommendation on a place or person that may do this on the side that may not be easily found via more conventional search methods
Duncan Idaho
Get some 2x4s, plastic sheeting and a few fans and do it your self.

Madaman
plastidip
will.mcg
AG
What was your process for painting yours? Did you sand down the body to bare metal or just get the existing paint dulled out a good bit? What kind of spray equipment & paint did you use?
sts7049
AG
sorry, what was the question again?
Duncan Idaho
will.mcg said:

What was your process for painting yours? Did you sand down the body to bare metal or just get the existing paint dulled out a good bit? What kind of spray equipment & paint did you use?

I blasted some. Chemical stripper on some. Sanded on some. It was all taken to bare metal a piece at a time.

I'd strip it, do any hammer and dolly work (harbor freight set), expoxy primed it (hf purple gun and Eastwood/kirker paint) and then sit it aside and work on the next piece the next time I was between projects.

Then when I finished every panel and the tub, i put it together and did the filler (mostly rage gold but some lead in certain spots) work.
Took it back apart and put down another coat of epoxy and shot the hidden areas with the single stage top coat.

Put it all back together with seam sealer. Scuffed it with a grey scotch pad. And then shot it with the hf professional guns.

My compressor didn't have enough cfm so I had some really bad orange peel. So i laid an extra two coats and sanded it back. The small pieces (hinges and brackets) I shot by themselves looked great, so I wasn't a gun or paint flow issue, it was an air flow issue.

All in all, it looks great, I get a lot of compliments on it but Ican see the mistakes I made.
will.mcg
AG
Awesome. Yeah your pictures the paint looks great. I have a project that I don't want near that quality at this stage in life but it would be nice to have some fresh paint on it. I have access to blast & paint equipment but not sure if I want to blast it. Currently I am thinking sand the exterior body on frame & shoot it as is. What media & size did you blast with?
Duncan Idaho
Used sugar sand for the body, regular sand for the frame and glass beads for every thing that fit in the cabinet.

If I did it again, I would have paid to have it soda or dry ice blasted by a mobile guy
will.mcg
AG
What pressure were you at with the body?
Duncan Idaho
I was 90 at the air tank. But zero idea what that would be at the blast tank and even less of an idea what that would have been at nozzle.

You kind of have to find what works for your equipment.
Just make sure you keep the nozzle moving all the time.
Duncan Idaho
Quote:

Just make sure you keep the nozzle moving all the time.

And since someone had to say it
That's what she said.

will.mcg
AG
I am picturing you using some sort of Harbor freight type machine. I'll be using an industrial type deal with a 5/16" nozzle. So I'm thinking I'll drop the pressure to 50 psi & stand a ways back to start.
evan_aggie
AG
Highly recommend this place for a primer.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

Their epoxy primer is a great product.
Duncan Idaho
The blasting stuff I used was all commerical. But you are right to start off as low as you can and work from there. You can really **** up a panel if you do it wrong.

And that SPI stuff is great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.