Reasonable time for dealer to address recall

1,831 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Furlock Bones
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last year around this time we got a letter regarding wife's 2012 328xi being included in the airbags recall thing. I assume it is the same one as we hear about with Hondas and Acura.

When I had it in last spring for oil change i asked the service guy. He gave me some bs story about the problem being more of a concern if you lived on the coast because of the salt air blah blah, not to worry and said they don't have parts yet.

I have been continually disappointed with classic BMW service and cannot wait for the new Sewell BMW to open this spring. Unfortunately, her check engine light came on today and she went ahead and dropped it off on the way to work at classic. Have a small list of things to check out. Had her ask about the recall and the guy told her they still don't have parts and they are doing oldest models first.

Honestly not overly worried about the Airbag, but on the off chance it is a bad one AND she get I a accident I would hate to find out I was wrong. Waiting a year seems like more than enough time, too much really.

What says Texags? Should I push it?

aggiepaintrain
AG
so would they, ask for a free loaner until they can fix it.
Goose
AG
I'm not a car repair guy by trade like some on this board, but here's what I'd do: if you're not necessarily worried about the airbag not working when needed, but the possibility exists and you want some sort of recourse if it does fail (from the ICU after the accident I guess) then contact them via email with some sort of regularity asking if it's time to bring it in for the recall (monthly would make sense to me I guess). At least that way your heirs can make a strong argument in court that you tried repeatedly and diligently to get the repairs made and the dealer/mfg can't deflect the blame and claim that you ignored the recall. Then maybe the huge boat your heirs buy with the settlement money can be named "Airbag" or "Recall" or some such. Good luck to you though!
p_bubel
Quote:

He gave me some bs story about the problem being more of a concern if you lived on the coast because of the salt air blah blah,
It's actually true. It's a moisture issue, basically. Not that it makes the delay any less annoying.

Quote:

Takata uses the chemical ammonium nitrate to create a small explosion that inflates the air bags in a crash. But the chemical can deteriorate over time when exposed to high heat and humidity and burn faster than designed. That can blow apart a metal canister designed to contain the explosion, spewing hot shrapnel into vehicles.
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-takata-recall-20160527-snap-story.html

Absolute
AG
I didn't completely disregard the coast thing. The part that is bs is that the car is a cpo that lived its first couple years on the east coast iirc. The service advisor, whom I've had other issues with, didn't bother to find that info.

Either way, I was willing to accept that and the delay a year ago a month after I received the letter. Now after a year, I feel they are ignoring it and have been given reasonable time to get to it.
DadAG10
Still waiting over a year on a Honda.

Absolute
AG
Decided to call and talk to a manager. The lady that answered was very helpful and much better at communicating. According to her, based on an update Feb 3rd, the Airbag manufacturer has just about finished working on the replacement parts for our model/engine. That generally that means they are fairly close and once they are completed and shipped we will get another letter and the process will move forward.

I can understand this type of delay, still don't love it but can understand. If the dealer doesn't have replacement parts, nothing can be done.

Amazing how a little attempt at honest (I hope) communication makes a huge difference.

So I guess we wait and hope nothing happens. As nice as a boat may be, I think I rather keep my wife.
permabull
AG
Picard
AG
Absolute said:

Decided to call and talk to a manager. The lady that answered was very helpful and much better at communicating. According to her, based on an update Feb 3rd, the Airbag manufacturer has just about finished working on the replacement parts for our model/engine. That generally that means they are fairly close and once they are completed and shipped we will get another letter and the process will move forward.

I can understand this type of delay, still don't love it but can understand. If the dealer doesn't have replacement parts, nothing can be done.

Amazing how a little attempt at honest (I hope) communication makes a huge difference.

So I guess we wait and hope nothing happens. As nice as a boat may be, I think I rather keep my wife.

LOL! Honest communication? She played to your ego and bought herself several more months of not having to deal with you. You're still going to be waiting a long time.

Mattressburn
AG
My '09 Sierra has the recall. They sent the letter like a year ago I went in a couple days ago and they still don't have the parts.
Absolute
AG
Picard said:

Absolute said:

LOL! Honest communication? She played to your ego and bought herself several more months of not having to deal with you. You're still going to be waiting a long time.`
The possibility of this was not lost on me. But it is a somewhat reasonable explanation, she had some details that made it seem believable. Particularly in light of the fact that other people are waiting a long time as well. It is a better explanation than "we are doing older cars first." If someone can say for sure that 2012 328 series BMWs are getting new airbags, I would push, otherwise, what can I really do? The fact that I know for a fact that car manufacturers will decide to save a buck and pay for deaths for issues versus changing a whole line is not lost on me as well. Capitalism is alive and well.

We shall see. Either way I will be taking it to a different and hopefully better customer service dealer next time. Whether I should or not, I would trust Sewell to be honest more than Classic based on personal experience and and general opinion locally.

Worst case, the car will probably not be in the family that much longer based on my wife;s past car habits.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Someone here also posted theyve been waiting for their 4runner too....
Hachieaggie10
AG
I work at a dealership waiting for airbags. I can assure you that they aren't withholding parts. I am lucky enough to be able to put my customers into long term rentals with the manufacture paying for them until parts are in. I think part of the delay is that they are waiting until they have enough parts to fix the majority of the cars out there. We have had 3 models released but they were the smaller number of units.
pnut02
AG
Still waiting on a 2010 Fusion
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I think the other important part to remember is, the dealer is not to blame. Its the manufacturer thats trying to get parts.

Remember, Takata is having to make replacement parts for EVERYONE.
Absolute
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I think the other important part to remember is, the dealer is not to blame. Its the manufacturer thats trying to get parts.

Remember, Takata is having to make replacement parts for EVERYONE.

Agreed. Original question was based on the poor way the first service advisor explained the situation.
Furlock Bones
AG
FCA is probably the worst offender at not fixing recalls in a timely manner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.