Any IH Scout Model 80 fans here?

3,469 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mrad85
mrad85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad just picked up a 1961 IH Scout for me the other day.

4X2 Light blue w/ white top.

All original, but needs new paint and tires. According to the Serial Number, it was around the 500th made.

Anyone done a restore on one? Or maybe some ideas?

Here is a pic, obviously not mine. Dad sent pictures, IN THE MAIL.

The Wonderer
AG
mrad85 said:

My dad just picked up a 1961 IH Scout for me the other day.

4X2 Light blue w/ white top.

All original, but needs new paint and tires. According to the Serial Number, it was around the 500th made.

Anyone done a restore on one? Or maybe some ideas?

Here is a pic, obviously not mine. Dad sent pictures, IN THE MAIL.

mrad85
AG
Dad's 80, so I cut him some slack.
barney94
AG
Very cool, I like. I don't have any experience with them; thought about buying one a few years back though for the cool factor.

Silvy's gonna come in here and tell you to LS swap it...and he may not be wrong if you want to drive it on the road any.

Here's a 4.3L Vortec V6 swap on one. Very cool Scout, but done professionally by Anything Scout.

Bregxit
AG
I remember in 1994 when I worked at Hi-Lo that alternators for that thing were $634. I have no idea why that has always stuck in my head.
The Fife
There probably weren't many left after all the other alternators rusted into tiny bits with the rest of the Scout.
mrad85
AG
The Fife said:

There probably weren't many left after all the other alternators rusted into tiny bits with the rest of the Scout.
Thankfully, this one doesn't have much rust at all. The benefits of living in the panhandle of Texas.

Parts can be pricey as well, but my dad already has 2 more Scouts and about to get another one besides this one.

You can't buy the alternator for what he paid for this one.

He's gonna change the oil tomorrow and try to crank it up if he can get some of his other project cars finished.
locogringo
AG
Love my '63 80. Built it in high school.

It is ALL original......except for the parts that are not..... which are most of them

First thing you will learn about a scout is that Jeep and specially Ford Bronco guys get very jealous because they know they lost the cool fact contest.

I got pretty familiar with them and where to find things when I went through mine, if you need any help lemme know! AND POST PICS!! once you get them.
mrad85
AG
Nice! Looks like a fun ride.

I've been the Jeep route, several times. Had a Willys '46, '79 and '81 CJ-7. I gave the '81 to my dad 2 years ago. He's had more than I care to think about and I don't ask what he wanted mine for.

The '61 IH Scout one interested me, basically because my dad just called out of the blue and said he got it for me. Then, he listed off the ones he has in his shop already.

I want to fix it up as original as possible. At my age, the mudding and rock crawling is left to the younger crowd. I just want something to cruise ( or crawl ) around town in when the weather is good.

Got the pictures in the mail, no major dents or anything missing that I can tell. Rust is not bad, mostly surface from sitting in the weather where the paint faded. But then again, typical dad pictures, didn't show too much.

I'll have to hook up the trailer and head to the panhandle and pick it up one of these free weekends.
drumboy
AG
locogringo said:

Love my '63 80. Built it in high school.

It is ALL original......except for the parts that are not..... which are most of them

First thing you will learn about a scout is that Jeep and specially Ford Bronco guys get very jealous because they know they lost the cool fact contest.

I got pretty familiar with them and where to find things when I went through mine, if you need any help lemme know! AND POST PICS!! once you get them.

Just have your dad send them in.

308 George Bush Drive College Station, TX 77840
will.mcg
AG
What a coincidence. My wife & I picked up a running 1964 on NYE. Ours has some serious rust but we can handle it. You can order the "Line Setting Ticket" which is basically the birth certificate of your Scout from: IH Parts America.

This was very interesting to us because the guy we bought it from told us this story about how it originally was on a ranch in Seguin. Guess where the shipping destination was on the Line Setting Ticket? Seguin!

I suck at images but lets try anyway...[img][url=https://flic.kr/p/Pz6zTR][/url]1963? International Scout Model 80 Allegedly won in a poker game by previous owner. by will.mcg@sbcglobal.net, on Flickr[/img]
ccag02
AG
I have a 73 Scout II, I love it. I buy more of my hard to find replacement parts from scoutparts.com. I'm sure you can find cheaper but the simplicity of knowing it was made for mine is worth it to me. Have fun!
mrad85
AG
Finally pictures. A little rougher than I hoped, but she'll do.

Damn it's hard to do this from cell phone
La Fours
AG
Where about in the panhandle?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
keep the patina
CanyonAg77
AG
La Fours said:

Where about in the panhandle?
We had a neighbor from Hale Center who had one that color. Later moved to Dumas. So, I want to know, too.
will.mcg
AG
Looks good! Doesn't look like there is any cancer.

For those of you with children if you watch lemminy Snickett on Netflix epsisode three features a Scout Model 80. It is driven by the herpatologist. Ugly orange & white. But still cool to see.
mrad85
AG
Right now it's near Pampa.

I'm gonna haul it down south fairly soon. I've only seen one '61 Scout 80 that's older than mine
will.mcg
AG
When you get down under it I would be very greatful if you could send me dimensions of the "u-shaped" bracket that the parking brake cables attach to. I am going to have to Fab one together.
mrad85
AG
will.mcg said:

When you get down under it I would be very greatful if you could send me dimensions of the "u-shaped" bracket that the parking brake cables attach to. I am going to have to Fab one together.

I emailed you today. No problem, I can get the info for you. My dad might be buying another one for parts in the next week or so as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.