My truck window tint failed inspection

23,198 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fishin Texas Aggie 05
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is a used truck and I had it inpected last year and it came inspected from the dealership as a CPO truck.

The shop claims my tint is at 25% which the state threshold is 15%. So I was told to remove my tint within 15days and come back to have it re-tested so I can get my registration.

This is bull hockey, do I have any options besides paying someone to remove to tint which the dealership sold as part of the truck?
Corps_Ag12
AG
roll down the windows & remove the fuse or unhook the control switches. You are not required to have windows.

Hell, you are barely required to have a windshield.
valtosca
AG
Same deal happened to me. I took the used car back to the dealer I bought it from and told them they sold me a car with illegal tint and they replaced it for free. They tried to tell me the law had just changed in November 2015, which I'm pretty sure is BS. I just said "oh really!" and let them finish the job.
The Wonderer
AG
Mom's 750i was bought CPO with illegal tint. Just tell the dealer you bought it from to have it fixed. BMW North did her's in a day while fixing all the other **** wrong with that car.
Silvy
AG
Not thoed
sts7049
AG
quote:
roll down the windows & remove the fuse or unhook the control switches. You are not required to have windows.

but will this work with it already documented as failing bc of tint?

seems like the fuse trick works for the first try.
permabull
AG
valtosca
AG
25% is the threshold... your inspector is dumb.

"Sunscreening devices can be applied to the side windows to the right and left of the driver if the following conditions are met.

• Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, have a light transmittance value of 25% or more.
  • Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, have a luminous reflectance value of 25% or less."
  • https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/consumerinfo/windowTint.htm
    RK
    AG
    my advice would be to head to a more Hispanic part of town.
    FightinTexag
    AG
    quote:
    my advice would be to head to a more Hispanic part of town.
    This.
    AgEng06
    AG
    quote:
    Isn't 25% less tint than 15%?

If its true that your tint is 25% you are already legal and the idoit at the inspection shop doesn't know how tint numbers work.
    I caught this, but just assumed he typed it up backwards.

OP, if in fact your tint is 25%, tell that guy he's a dumbass.
    Fishin Texas Aggie 05
    AG
    Go to heb in my hometown on a Sunday or the first day of the month and you would think you are in a Hispanic town
    Dill-Ag13
    AG
    Seriously just roll down the windows
    Corps_Ag12
    AG
    quote:
    quote:

They broke in the down position.
    Silvy
    AG
    quote:
    Go to heb in my hometown on a Sunday or the first day of the month and you would think you are in a Hispanic town

I would never feel like I'm in a Hispanic town at an HEB.
    sts7049
    AG
    you obviously never went to HEB on 18th and tc jester
    1agswitchin4lanes
    AG
    quote:
    quote:

THIS.

If you go somewhere else the machine pulls it up that it has failed the last time, and then you're hosed.

Nobody will want to touch it unless you can show that you corrected the issue it failed for.

Like others have said, I'd take it back to the selling dealer and ask them to remove it and replace it with legal film.

And yes, 25% is the legal limit.

Most film is 35% and factory tinted glass is 90% VLT or so. 35% on top of 90% gets you to 25% VLT....Texas Law/
    aggiebq03+
    quote:
    Most film is 35% and factory tinted glass is 90% VLT or so. 35% on top of 90% gets you to 25% VLT....Texas Law/

Actually...
    35% on top of 90% gets you 31.5% /aintmathfun
    1agswitchin4lanes
    AG
    quote:
    quote:

Actually...
    So we can go darker than 35% then....
    ClickClack
    AG
    I thought front legal was 35%? That's what Fabian did on my front windows about 2.5 years ago. Has it changed since then?
    The Wonderer
    AG
    quote:
    I thought front legal was 35%? That's what Fabian did on my front windows about 2.5 years ago. Has it changed since then?
    Why kind of car? Most cars nowadays have tinted glass that is at 90%. Putting 35% film over that type of glass gets you to 25%, the legal limit.
    CDUB98
    AG
    Fabian did all three of our cars and they have always passed inspection.
    ClickClack
    AG
    Ah that might be why. It's a Volvo S60.
    The Wonderer
    AG
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

Actually...
    So we can go darker than 35% then....
    Said every Kardashian ever.....
    agnerd
    AG
    quote:
    They tried to tell me the law had just changed in November 2015, which I'm pretty sure is BS. I just said "oh really!" and let them finish the job.
    The law did change, but not in 2015. If I remember correctly, the law was passed in 2009 and went effective in 2010. I know because my legal tint all of a sudden became illegal. I failed inspection because of it at the Goodyear on Clay road in Houston. Took the fuses out, brought the truck back and they refused to pass it. So I went to a Jiffy Lube, for the inspection, again took out the fuses, but I told Jiffy Lube I had removed the windows after they asked about the flag in the computer and they passed it. I've been pulling fuses ever since and never been questioned about it.

I also went to the eye doctor and told him I sometimes get headaches when the sun is really bright. He signed a form that allows you to get a medical exemption for the darker tint. I've never needed the exemption or even used it, but I have it if I need it or get pulled over by an overzealous officer.
    aggiebq03+
    quote:
    quote:
    Why kind of car? Most cars nowadays have tinted glass that is at 90%. Putting 35% film over that type of glass gets you to 25%, the legal limit.

As stated above you, this is not how the math works.

0.90 x 0.35 = 0.315 = 31.5%

If your car windows alone really pass 90%, you could put 28% film on and pass 25% still.
    The Wonderer
    AG
    close enough for government work
    aggiebq03+
    quote:

Yeah seems "close enough" always goes in the government's favor and never mine. What's the deal with that!
    The Wonderer
    AG
    quote:
    quote:

Yeah seems "close enough" always goes in the government's favor and never mine. What's the deal with that!
    you don't work for the government, you don't need to know.
    Fishin Texas Aggie 05
    AG
    I am no longer riding dirty. I went to a different inspection place and got it done and then paid my yearly vehicle tax.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.